• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cP Creator - **FREE** Free Host Manager

You might, but if you *Sell* it, there's no guarantee that it would be kept free.

If we organized a quick bit of funding to help you out if you were willing to hand the script over the open source community.

The biggest problem i see here, is further development and support of cP Creator. How would that work without Jonny?

i would love to pick it up from you Jonny` and have told you many times i am willingto help out with it, but, i unfortunately cant afford to buy it. if i did, it would be kept open source though. if you ever get on MSN again, message me, adn maybe we can work something out.

If anyone is interested, I'd like to get a group together, and take this over for Johnny. Let me know if your interested. Its better to work on this in a group. :)

If we can work on this, it will continue to remain free!

Any help really would be really appreciated.
I think the idea Schmarvin came up with really is an awesome one.

Agreed.

Unfortunatly i dont know enough about php to even begin to help.
If i did, id have bought it from Jonny already.

I was still considering, with the idea to do what Schmarvin has suggested, so im all for the idea.
I just would like to see cpCreator stay open for all and free to use. If theres anything i can do, im in :D

Johnny, with your permission, I'd like to continue to run it. Just tell me what needs to be done to host it, at least that'll help get us started.

If it falls through, I can adopt it post october. I have to finish current client work first.

Good luck Johnny. Although, I'm a bit confused by you wanted to sell something unlicensed. O.O Its very weird. In all terms, its free, and not worth anything. But, I can see if I can get it licensed for you, so you can sell it.

As far as i see it man, he doesnt have to get some official licence to sell his own work. Open Source implys a licence in itself. A licence for the end user to use and modify for their own use the code provided. Wich can be redistributed by them aslong as they acknowledge the codes origins.

Basically All versions up to this point are under the GNU GPL id say, and if he sells, the person who he transfers the ownership to can do what they wish as far as changing the licencing goes for the future releases.

Any derivatives of his code that come from the open source version would have to be release under the same licencing as the original open source licence Jonny released it under.

So basically what hed be selling is the right to charge for any derivatives of cpCreator.

Open source licenses

With open source licenses, in contrast to proprietary software licenses, ownership of a particular copy of the software does not remain with the software publisher. Instead, ownership of the copy is transferred to the end-user. As a result, the end-user is, by default, afforded all rights granted by copyright law to the copy owner. Note that "copy owner" is not the same as "copyright owner". While ownership in a particular copy is transferred, ownership of the copyright remains with the software publisher. Additionally, open source software licenses typically grant to the end-user extra rights, which would otherwise be reserved by the software publisher.

A primary consequence of the open source form of licensing is that acceptance of open source licenses is essentially optional -- the end-user may use the software without accepting the license. However, if the end-user wishes to exercise any of the additional rights granted by an open source license (such as the right to redistribute the software), then the end-user must accept, and be bound by, the software license.

An example of an open source license is the GNU General Public License (GPL). This license is aimed at giving the end-user significant permission, such as permission to redistribute, reverse engineer, or otherwise modify the software. These permissions are not entirely free of obligations for the end-user, however. The end-user must comply with certain terms if the end-user wishes to exercise these extra permissions granted by the GPL. For instance, any modifications made and redistributed by the end-user must include the source code for these, and the end-user is not allowed to re-assert the removed copyright restrictions back over their derivative work.

I could be wrong, but thats how i read it.

Basically, I'm selling the site, the script, the rights to the script. With the rights, the owner could do anything they wish. It does have a lot of business potential.

Just wondering how many of you guys would really be SERIOUSLY interested in forming a group to continue to develop CPC?

His highest bidder is a non FWS person of dubious character. :/
So partially to prevent them getting it, partially to keep it with the FWS community and because id like to see it continue, im thinking of buying it and attempting to run it as a community project.

Unfortunatly, Im no php coder myself, but I am a good organiser, infact its my job, so id like to guage the serious interest of people around here participating in such a project.

So hands up if youd be willing to join such a project :)

I'm all in, I'll offer my server and such but i'm not a good programmer yet either XD

SUPER SQUIRREL IS HERE!!!

I've got Roger Hamsterer on my side :p (couldn't think of a hamster snuck into nadal's name.)

Just wondering how many of you guys would really be SERIOUSLY interested in forming a group to continue to develop CPC?

His highest bidder is a non FWS person of dubious character. :/
So partially to prevent them getting it, partially to keep it with the FWS community and because id like to see it continue, im thinking of buying it and attempting to run it as a community project.

Unfortunatly, Im no php coder myself, but I am a good organiser, infact its my job, so id like to guage the serious interest of people around here participating in such a project.

So hands up if youd be willing to join such a project :)

What do you mean by "join", do you actually mean pay ??

Back