• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cP Creator - **FREE** Free Host Manager

What do you mean by "join", do you actually mean pay ??

No, i just mean help continue the project.
I wouldnt have a hope in hell of doing it on my own, so i want to know if and how many of you skilled guys out there would serioully want to help out.

Since most ppl are all talk :p

As far as i see it man, he doesnt have to get some official licence to sell his own work. Open Source implys a licence in itself. A licence for the end user to use and modify for their own use the code provided. Wich can be redistributed by them aslong as they acknowledge the codes origins.

Basically All versions up to this point are under the GNU GPL id say, and if he sells, the person who he transfers the ownership to can do what they wish as far as changing the licencing goes for the future releases.

Any derivatives of his code that come from the open source version would have to be release under the same licencing as the original open source licence Jonny released it under.

So basically what hed be selling is the right to charge for any derivatives of cpCreator.

I could be wrong, but thats how i read it.

Okay, so you basically just told me I can take the script, and call it my own. :) Then, I could modify it a bit and sell it for profit.

Okay, so you basically just told me I can take the script, and call it my own. :) Then, I could modify it a bit and sell it for profit.

Nah man, read it again.
Pretty much the only thing you cant do is sell it id say.
If any derivative works are made from it, they must show the original sources. Take OSCommerce for example. Its branched off into several projects, but they all must be released under the same conditions as the original work and must state their origins.

So altho we are free to use the existing releases as a base, its without Jonnys blessing, without the name and reputation of cpc, not to mention its not very nice to takes some1s hard work for nothing when hes after some compo :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive had a few PMs from people id call skilled in the area telling me its a bad idea for a few resons ill have to ask around about.

In the mean time, anyone else interested?

Under the license you can't class it fully as your own, only the code you added can you claim.

Its not licensed, so I can do anything. He didn't get a GNU license or anything. If it had an open-source license, I'd have to give credit. But at the moment, I don't have to at all.

I'm not saying I'd do this. But, I'm proving you wrong. :)

Of course you can do what you like with it, even charge for it, but that would only really take affect on new downloads, plus, even if you did claim it all as your own code, everyone who uses it knows Jonny` created it. So there would be no point ;)

Not really. I'm good at PHP, so I could change up a LOT of the codes with something different, but keeping the same functions. :p PHP has many functions, I could go around what he currently has.

I dunno if he needs to have applied for and got an "official licence" in order for his work to be either classed as his own, or give him then right to sell it.

If thats the case, any webdesign and coding doen by prople for other people can be reused, and the whole debarkle about MTC selling JasonS someone elses work (the geekracks design) was just a load a BS, since "it wasnt licenced".
Nor would anyone have the right to sell their own work and be protected from theft without "getting a licence".

Makes no sense to me man, your work is your work and even if people use it for their own purposes, they really dont have the right to claim it as their own just because "you didnt get a licence".

A copyright exists from the moment of a works creation. You do not need to register a copyright or apply a license for copyrights to exist, however if you ever needed to go to court you'd get nowhere fast without having registered your copyright.

I'm just saying, its a widely used software/script. And, it'd be great to have something that good, licensed.

Perhaps i have the whole software license thing wrong?

The Copyright holder or Owner is the one who issues the licenses for people to use his/her software. Theres no need for them to "get it licensed" unless your refering to making up an official licensing statement to include with the product?
Im also not sure about retroactively issuing licenses for old versions of your work.
Or are you saying it would be nice if it was officially copyrighted? (rather than self copyrighted)

Well, if anyone stole the work and claimed it as their own without crediting back. I'd be pretty annoyed. Then again, if someone branched off and was updating it and linking back. I wouldn't be so annoyed.

I've still got interest in this, if an offer was made, I would go with it. If fnixws managed it and there was a few open source devs on the team; it would include features and work like I never could of done.

Last edited:
Perhaps i have the whole software license thing wrong?

The Copyright holder or Owner is the one who issues the licenses for people to use his/her software. Theres no need for them to "get it licensed" unless your refering to making up an official licensing statement to include with the product?
Im also not sure about retroactively issuing licenses for old versions of your work.
Or are you saying it would be nice if it was officially copyrighted? (rather than self copyrighted)

A GNU license is free, and its official. It'd just be nice to have for this script.

With the potential it has, the time that has been put on it, and how it works, i'd say it's a good price, if not too low :p

I stay still to the fact that without Jonny, it would be hard to progress on cP Creator.

Your asking price is peanuts really. I can offer 100 this moment. May be willing for more upon verifications and stats etc.

Id have offered him that, but i didnt wanna insult him.
I dont know its true value, but im after the work he put into it, id have felt bad making an offer lower than his asking price.

Back