• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What Religion Are you?

What religion are you?

• Christian

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Budhist

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Muslim

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Pagan

• Atheist (Not a 'religion' but whatever)

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Agnostic (as above)

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Jewish

• Jedi

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Hinduism

• Other

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Giancarlo
You've got some serious problems... don't mock what I say. I don't mock what you say.
So how would you know I have some serious problems? Remember, you don't know me. ;)

Personally, I don't see the Bible as being a good guide to live ones life. As I said, I have read the Bible (all of it, and not just parts of it, and a few different versions including KJV), and a lot of the things in there aren't morals I would even consider giving my kids.

I don't need the Bible to guide me through life, I've got my own common sense.

As for things such as the great flood, I don't see how it claims any legitimacy to cllaims in the Bible; like Jesus being God and God being all loving, and God actually existing.

One could just as easily write a false religious document and say, "And then God created the Ice Age to rid the world of many wrong and evil creatures, etc." and of course, we would have scientific evidence to proove that.

But it wouldn't proove that God did it, but it would just proove that the Ice Age happened; as is with the Flood. So science can proove events and places in the Bible are true; but nowhere is there direct evidence that means that any of these events are acts of God.

As for talking about more advanced and intelligent beings than us, that is a lot different to the concept of a "God". Especially a Christian God.

I think it is reasonible to believe that the concept of other beings existing on other planets in the Universe is possible. There is scientific evidence to back this up.

Since it would seem to be possible for humans to advance to a higher level of consciousness/intelligence than we currently are; when you consider once we were just a bunch of dumb apes; then it is fairly reasonable to believe that if life does exist on other planets, then it is extremely likely, if not definate, that it can, or has, in some cases advanced beyond what is conceivable to us.

WHen you look at what humans can do, technology and medical wise now; it is safe to assume that if these more intelligent beings did exist; then they could possibly have the ability to perhaps to set in motion the creation of another species and entire eco system on another planet.

However, that doesn't make those beings a God; especially not in the sense of the Christian God, because the Christian God is supposedly the supreme being, yada yada yada.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
From what you act like here you do.
That's where my impression of you comes from. I know the Giancarlo, the *****, that exists at the forums at freewebspace.net. But I don't know you.

Originally posted by LeX
That's where my impression of you comes from. I know the Giancarlo, the *****, that exists at the forums at freewebspace.net. But I don't know you.

Exactly, but I don't make judgements on your actual character in real life.

yo toefur its ok not to believe in God or anything. But dont you think your overdoing it. You make it sound as if everyone who believes in the bible is STUPID.

It may not make sense to you but it makes sense to alot of people.

Live and let live. people who have a religion may be foolish. But think about it at least they believe in something. Many Christians are willing to live and die for their beliefs.

Originally posted by DJsexie

now THAT is stupid...

How so? If someone loves Jesus so much, what is wrong with them dying for it? Would you take a bullet for your little brother or sister? To some people, he is that important to them, if not more. I would do it. Call me crazy, but oh well.

Originally posted by DJsexie
now THAT is stupid...
If you believe the bible then Jesus did just that. Gave his life for all of us so if you believed the bible you would be calling Jesus stupid.

The bottom line with religions is that it's all about belief. Some people require hard evidence before they believe it. Obviously due to the time frame from the bible to now little hard evidence probably exists to convert these people. Religion doesn't have to convert people and show you the facts though it's about belief.

That's why religion is such a hot topic, there are no true facts that their is a God nor can they prove there isn't one. No one can trace things back to the beginning of time and so people rely on their beliefs.

Originally posted by syd

How so? If someone loves Jesus so much, what is wrong with them dying for it? Would you take a bullet for your little brother or sister? To some people, he is that important to them, if not more. I would do it. Call me crazy, but oh well.

And how does somebody dies for Jesus? explain ...

I know some guys that died for Allah on 11th of September. (thats what they though).

Religious fanaticism makes you blind.

Originally posted by rshinji
yo toefur its ok not to believe in God or anything. But dont you think your overdoing it. You make it sound as if everyone who believes in the bible is STUPID.

It may not make sense to you but it makes sense to alot of people.

Live and let live. people who have a religion may be foolish. But think about it at least they believe in something. Many Christians are willing to live and die for their beliefs.

What exactly am I overdoing? Please tell.

You sounds as though you are trying to be condescending when you say "at least they believe in something". Does that mean I am a shallow materialistic individual because I don't believe in a magical space pixie that supposedly loves me?

I have things I believe in. It's just that I think they are more... believable than others. :p

I would be willing to die for my beliefs to. So whats your point?

This might be speculation, but all religion has caused is war. Look at history, Christianity especially. It only has caused war... from holy wars, to crusades, to more modern wars, etc. I think we should just do away with religion and give the people real reason to live.

At the same time, religion (unless a cult) has done a lot of good. If people fall on hard times, a Church is one of the first places that will help you out. I think this goes for any religion and/or denomination, they all help.

Governments have gone to war over religious causes, however, individuals withing any given religion help the weak, homeless, and hngry. As a Christian Nation, the United States is the only country to demolish another and then turn around and feed the enemy's people and rebuild their country.. By Biblical terms, that is the right thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I dont always agree with this view. No matter what you do for a Middle Eastern country, they will always hate America. If they cant be grateful for what we do for them as a people and not hate us, then I see no reason for helping them rebuild or feed them.

They ask for help, we give it, they hate us. Make sense?

Originally posted by Webdude
At the same time, religion (unless a cult) has done a lot of good. If people fall on hard times, a Church is one of the first places that will help you out. I think this goes for any religion and/or denomination, they all help.

Governments have gone to war over religious causes, however, individuals withing any given religion help the weak, homeless, and hngry. As a Christian Nation, the United States is the only country to demolish another and then turn around and feed the enemy's people and rebuild their country.. By Biblical terms, that is the right thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I dont always agree with this view. No matter what you do for a Middle Eastern country, they will always hate America. If they cant be grateful for what we do for them as a people and not hate us, then I see no reason for helping them rebuild or feed them.

They ask for help, we give it, they hate us. Make sense?

1) you don't need to belong in any religion to help the weak, homeless, and hungry.

2) According to you, If somebody comes and beats the shit out of you because your neighbor has done something to him, and then he gives you some medicine to cure some of your wounds (not even all of them), not only you should not hate him, but you should be grateful. What kind of f***ed up logic is this??

Webdude, you don't need to be religious to help the poor or needy. If you think that way, then you are a true idiot. You really are if you think an secular organization could not help. For example, the Red Cross is a secular organization.

As a Christian Nation, the United States is the only country to demolish another and then turn around and feed the enemy's people and rebuild their country..

Read the bill of rights, the US is not a Christian nation. It is a free nation for all religions and non-religious people, whether they be buddhists, christians, muslims, atheists, agnostics, and so forth. Don't call the US Christian because if you look at society today it hardly is.

Gian - The majority of the U.S. is Christianity.....Mormon, Methodist, Baptists, etc, et....they are all denominations of it...even the denomination of "Non-Denominational". It doesnt really matter though, for the most part the U.S. puts off a religious image, though fortunately not fanatical. And I'd say someone who doesnt read posts properly is the true idiot....I never said you have to be religious to help them, I said the religions do a lot to help the poor and needed. Perhaps you should go back to school to learn how to read?

Theo - You misunderstood my post. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. They hit us first. They bloodied us, and we attacked back. After the war was over, we spent $billions$ and helped them rebuild. In that particular case, it worked out good for us. They are one of our best allies now. But Middle Eastern countries are not gratefull for anything...they will hate us no matter what. In that case, I dont believe the Biblical way of doing things. They will suck up everything we give them, and still hate us. Helping them changes nothing except feed future terrorists who's kids will be around to terrorize our kids..

But for anyone to deny the possibility that there isnt some sort of "God" is fooling themselves. That is saying we are the ultimate lifeform in the universe. There could be lifeforms so far ahead of us that they would be as gods to us. Who knows, it could very well be that the Earth is nothing more than a cell within a much larger lifeform (God?)....and humans could very well be a disease.

No, refusing to call other lifeforms god because they possess more intelligence is not saying we are the ultimate lifeform.

Are you claiming we’re gods compared to bacteria? We don't have much power over bacteria, it'll outlast us by far. Bacteria is far better adapted to living on this planet than we are. So then is bacteria god compared to us, maybe? It does have more power than us but I’d still say no, it’s not god.

Being more intelligent than something else does not mean being superior to it any objective way. We only talk about intelligence because that’s the property we’ve observed we seem to have more of than other species on this planet... and also because it’s the intelligence that does the thinking and it’s natural that it finds itself important.

Sure, I don't doubt that due to the size of the universe there are far more intelligent lifeforms out there somewhere, in a place where for some reason conditions favor it. That doesn't make them gods. I don't doubt that there are physical laws in the universe that intelligence cannot overcome. I suspect intelligent beings traveling past the speed of light is probably one of the things that can't be done with any amount of intelligence, based on the fact that if any species in the universe could get here and there must be billions of species given the size of the universe, they'd have been all over this planet before humans even existed. (And not just all over 20th and 21st century TV and movies.)

But Middle Eastern countries are not gratefull for anything...they will hate us no matter what.

"Middle Eastern countries" all hate us, sure. You sound like Ariel Sharon or something, with your generalizations. :rolleyes:

One of the problems with religion is it's another thing that causes people to generalize and stereotype groups.

You know webdude... is the majority of the US really Christian? Do they really give a rat arse about religion? I wouldn't think so. Less than 20% of the people in Argentina practice a religion, and less than 40% believe in god. Argentina is an example of what the US is becoming, and what the UK for example has already became.

The U.S. sure seems Christian to me. What do you think "God bless America" is all about? I'm sure some of the Christians are more like webdude in taking the bible as a moral guide (but still taking it as though it's better than those of other religions), but religion overall doesn't seem to be getting any less popular at all here. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if the country is getting more religious compared to maybe 10 or 15 years ago.

Back