• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What Religion Are you?

What religion are you?

• Christian

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Budhist

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Muslim

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Pagan

• Atheist (Not a 'religion' but whatever)

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Agnostic (as above)

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Jewish

• Jedi

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Hinduism

• Other

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
I've heard of Nietzsche, he is fairly well known, but I sure wouldn't want him working his way into my heart... he made some good points and some bad ones, like most people.

Science certainly can't disprove religion, I agree on that subject. However, I consider an all-powerful being to be a logical impossibility, so if I trust my basic ability to recognize what is and isn't logical then I have to conclude that there's no god in that all-powerful sense. (Of course maybe I shouldn't trust my own mind, but if I can't then I'll never be able to reason about anything and might as well just give up.) The universe is the only thing that can be all-encompassing, and it couldn't be intelligent because it would wouldn't have anything outside of it to interact with and prompt it to think (since if there were something outside then the definition of the universe would have to be expanded to include it).

Also there's nothing about living things that makes them inherently better than non-living things... naturally being living things and having the strange property of consciousness we tend to assign value to the things similar to us... but if you ask a rock, it'll never tell you that it thinks living things are better than it. ;)

There's no reason not to be religious, no reward for sticking to exact objective reality, if there is such a thing. I'm just an atheist because it seems to suit me. People who like their religion should obviously continue to do so.

As for webdude... well, I'd hate to be stuck for eternity in heaven with a being that condemns it's own creations, essentially parts of itself, to hell.

Religions are I think in essence a way to help humans feel important, since they usually say there's something out there that cares about us and something about us that makes us better than other things. It's a nice thought, and I have nothing against it.

I think we need to bring back ancient greek religion. It was so much more interesting. Think about it: churches would be packed. Everyone would be dieing to find out if Hephaestus caught Aphrodite and Ares together in the ski lodge hot-tub. :D

To those who that makes no sense to, I suggest you become a bit more educated... ;)

Anyway, I believe in a god, but not all that crap in the bible. (the ark, come on people, is that even concevable? Knocking down walls with trumpets? please. I'll take Nietzsche any day! :)
I read some where that I would be considered a "theist"

Last edited:
Syd: Well, I guess Nietzsche and Camus is more popular in Europe...

Hoth: Part of my system of beliefs is based on what he said, the other part is on the French Philosopher Camus (Born in Algeria) who urged people to define their own lives.

Originally posted by rshinji
4get it you'll never open a close mind.

BTW, what common beliefs that we do have?

I don't have a closed mind, I read the bible before... and therefore I came to the conclusion that Nietzsche and Camus make more sense. That is something hardly anybody on this planet actually does...

I dunno, what?

i seriously doubt these deuscte fellow has all the answers. he might have wrote some things that made sense to you but i dont think he can convince everybody.

he made sense to you bec. you share the same points of view in the first place. if you had opposing views then you wouldn't have jump to the same conclusion.

For example, if he says dogs are better than cats as pets and you already had a preference for dogs then you wouldnt hesitate to agree with him. You are already bias when you read his writings because you dont believe in the bible. He just reinforced your way of thinking.

Next time emty your mind. Remove all preconceived notions that you have so that you won't be easily be persuade by other people's ideas.

I am sorry I misunderstood your first post. You are right there is a lot of uncertainy in the world, and it is not my call to make judgement about that only philosophers and for Christians god.

Originally posted by rshinji

For example, if he says dogs are better than cats as pets and you already had a preference for dogs then you wouldnt hesitate to agree with him. You are already bias when you read his writings because you dont believe in the bible. He just reinforced your way of thinking.

Next time emty your mind. Remove all preconceived notions that you have so that you won't be easily be persuade by other people's ideas.

Then wouldn't that make you (or any Christians, i dont know if you said you were or not) biased when they read -anything-, because they DO believe in the Bible?

Originally posted by Giancarlo

I don't have a closed mind, I read the bible before... and therefore I came to the conclusion that Nietzsche and Camus make more sense. That is something hardly anybody on this planet actually does...

I dunno, what?

The good thing about the Bible is that not only is it disgusting and sickening; but it says a lot of stupid things (in my eyes).

So any time I ever feel the pull of Christianity, and think it might have some truth to it, I just sit down and read bits of my Bible again... and am quite quickly reinforced on my beliefs to not believe it.

Well, I was joking about seeing someone in hell from my post in Heaven. I seriously doubt an inherentely good person would be condemned to burn in hell forever, or any at all.

As for the Bible, it is less what you make it out to be, and more of a guideline to how you should live your life. Over time and translations of it, quite a bit has changed in it. The most accurate version today is Old King James. Compare it to more modern versions, and a LOT has changed. Wording is completely different now.

As for even original accuracy, I can point out one story that many think is original to Biblical scrolls, but isnt. Noah. Science has proven there was a great flood. However, in many, much older religious scrolls than the Biblical ones there are stories of the man who built a great boat with two of each creature. Was his name Noah? I doubt it. That's just his Biblical name. It doesnt make what's in the Bible a lie....a man is just a man regardles of his name. The story is of most likelyhood, true to some extent.

You also have to understand that when the men writing these scrolls spoke of the "entire" world...their entire world was the eastern hemisphere. They knew nothing of the otherside. Remember, it was believe the world was flat back then too..LOL

Now go pick up whatever Bible is around your house and read Revelation. Keep in mind that here's a man in a time where the weapons are mere bows & arrows and spears trying to describe what we now take for granted. (Sometimes I wonder if their visions werent of modern movies..LOL). However, he says "I saw what looked to be a mountain on fire flying thru the sky". I have actually argued with preachers over this one. You are a real nut to think this is the "Holy Mountain" of God coming back to Earth. Try more like a Ballistic Missile coming back into the atmosphere or an asteroid.

So you cant just go read a few paragraphs of the Bible and think you know it all. You have to understand it too. Take the "religious" parts out of it and it becomes a great book of history and prophecy. Science doesnt deny that. A lot of things searched for that were only mentioned in the Bible have been found....and ads credit to it's historical accuracy. If it's history of past times is correct, then perhaps it's history of the future is just as correct....and that is how science and others like myself look at the Bible.

I agree the idea of God is theoretically impossible, but I dont doubt the existence of some powerful intelligence so far above us that we are mere amoeba compared to it. It would be conceited of me to do so. However, no-one has shown a good example of how "God" is impossible, so I will. For one, He cannot be BOTH all knowing and all powerfull...

1) All Powerful.
If He was all powerful, then He could not know the limit to His power.
2) All Knowing.
If He was all knowing, then He would know the limit to His own power.

Make sense? So dont think I am a religious nut...I can question the issue far better than most of you can...and make sense about it too :D

But for anyone to deny the possibility that there isnt some sort of "God" is fooling themselves. That is saying we are the ultimate lifeform in the universe. There could be lifeforms so far ahead of us that they would be as gods to us. Who knows, it could very well be that the Earth is nothing more than a cell within a much larger lifeform (God?)....and humans could very well be a disease.

Webdude, I am not going to read your entire post because I don't have time. But I am going to say this: You have no right to decide what other people think, you have no right to tell people what is right or wrong.

But I am going to say this: You have no right to decide what other people think, you have no right to tell people what is right or wrong.
That's what every single person here wants to say to you, GC. :D

Originally posted by LeX
That's what every single person here wants to say to you, GC.

I never told anybody anything to believe in, smart ---. I gave suggestions on what to read so some people understand the opposite view point.

Ah, but it seems to me that you're the one who's never willing to understand other point of views.

BTW, both these comments aren't limited to this thread.

Originally posted by LeX
Ah, but it seems to me that you're the one who's never willing to understand other point of views.

BTW, both these comments aren't limited to this thread.

No, you are wrong. I have read the viewpoints of the opposite opinion. So think again.

No they are not, yet you still are wrong.

Okay, Giancarlo, whatever you say. You're always right, everybody else is always wrong.

Originally posted by LeX
Okay, Giancarlo, whatever you say. You're always right, everybody else is always wrong.

For this fact you are wrong about me, you don't even know me. But I never say everyone else is always wrong.

For this fact you are wrong about me, you don't even know me.
Why would I want to "know" you? I can't even put up with the virtual you, needless to say the real you.
But I never say everyone else is always wrong.
That's right, you never said that before. You're right, as usual.

Originally posted by LeX
Why would I want to "know" you? I can't even put up with the virtual you, needless to say the real you.

Likewise.

That's right, you never said that before. You're right, as usual.

You've got some serious problems... don't mock what I say. I don't mock what you say.

Back