• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bullfighting - a cruel and murderous Spanish tradition

Originally posted by Ragzz
219 replies... holy **** I can see why it got off topic.

Anyway.. I cant see who's right here as I'm not exactly gay, nor am I anti gay, and I dont really care about bullfighting (this is still about bullfighting...right?)

No this isn't off topic, we are still discussing bullfighting.

And Webdude brought up a good comparsion with what is going on here.

Originally posted by Giancarlo

But she was forcing her opinion, or at least attempting to on me. And that failed.
:rolleyes:
She wasn't even addressing you before you started to cuss.

Originally posted by Ragzz
219 replies... holy **** I can see why it got off topic.

Anyway.. I cant see who's right here as I'm not exactly gay, nor am I anti gay, and I dont really care about bullfighting (this is still about bullfighting...right?)
Wrong! It's about gayfighting. :biggrin2:

Originally posted by meow
Why don't you just admit you liked it? We know you did. :D

Well we know who's jelous now dont we :D

I can agree with this up to a point. But I don't see anything wrong with +chips wanting to work for this cause. She doesn't say "You are stupid idiots because you do this". She realizes that it's a tradition but she wants it to end and wants to discuss it.

In the beginning, she didnt want to work with it. She wanted to wipe out the sport. I think she has since changed that to simply removing the cruelty part of the sport....but there are far more people out there that it is "all or nothing" for them. Those are the ones who think the entire sport should be wiped out, not just lightened up....and are forceful in their views. I dont think anyone here agrees that it shouldnt be far less cruel, and very few want to see the sport gone. However, you have to share your views to the locals in Spain and let them think about it, not force your views onto them.

As a kid on a ranch, I used to play Matador. It was several times that the bulls sent me flying over the fence before I could climb all the way over it. I think they were less focused on the red cape than they were me and my slingshot which nailed them in the ...umm, nevermind.. Needless to say, I always had them plenty pissed at me...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You have a point. There are traditions and traditions though. Saying for instance that some one's religion sucks is bad. But saying that female circumcision is barbaric is not. Believing in the tooth fairy doesn't hurt anyone. But plain cruelty, to people or animals, is something else. BTW I'm opposed to you Americans pumping your cattle full of hormones too. :p

Sorry if this is an impertinent question, but when that gay came on to you, were you wearing that super sexy Santa costume? :biggrin2:

Sorry if this is an impertinent question, but when that gay came on to you, were you wearing that super sexy Santa costume? :biggrin2:

Santa suit? Are you losing it or something?

You know, that one where all the people are like made of orbs that aren't connected and float in the shape of a person. I think the lead character was green....

:rolleyes:
She wasn't even addressing you before you started to cuss.

This is very true. I never said, "Giancarlo, you must have my belief!". In fact none of this was personal until he started throwing insults at me, for having an opinion. If he had addressed his opinion in a less personal and insulting way, perhaps I would not have reacted as I did.

If anybody saw me as trying to force my opinion on anyone else (except Giancarlo, as it's very obvious you hated me from the first word I typed in this thread), then I do apologise. And it's a sincere apology, because it isn't what I set out to do. I set out to create awareness; which is precisely why I'm currently building an anti-bullfighting site, and why I presented a speech regarding bullfighting a few months ago.

I do intend to get my hands dirty - very, very dirty. And if I am laughed at? It won't knock me down. Giancarlo, you turned this into something very personal; and now you've said you want me to be laughed at - mocked and humiliated for standing up for something I believe strongly in.

It's your continuing ignorance to even properly read the facts I presented, and your negative attitude towards my belief - and me as a person - that drives me forward. You, and people like you, won't stop me. I'm not going to let 35,000 bulls a year be slaughtered because I'm afraid to be mocked. If it takes taunting, humiliation and being laughed at - so be it.

Originally posted by Peo
Interesting thread this. Parts of it anyway...

+chips,

Bullfighting is very much a tourist attraction, so there's a hint for you what you can do in your own country to create awareness about this.

This is what I was trying to do in the first place.

Originally posted by Webdude
In the beginning, she didnt want to work with it. She wanted to wipe out the sport. I think she has since changed that to simply removing the cruelty part of the sport....but there are far more people out there that it is "all or nothing" for them. Those are the ones who think the entire sport should be wiped out, not just lightened up....and are forceful in their views. I dont think anyone here agrees that it shouldnt be far less cruel, and very few want to see the sport gone. However, you have to share your views to the locals in Spain and let them think about it, not force your views onto them.

But how can you call murdering an animal sport, though? I mean, if they didn't completely weaken all the bull's defenses and strength beforehand; no way in hell would a matador defeat a bull. The whole idea of bullfighting, is that it has been portrayed as the matador being a really brave guy; some kind of hero. When I was growing up, before I researched the facts; I guess that's the impression I got. You don't really see what goes on behind the whole "brave" thing. And when you do; you realise it's just a mask, a false image.

Why is there a need to have a form of entertainment that involves torture and slaughter? I just don't understand the need, or even the want, for it. In a recent poll in Spain, only 12% of Spanish people voted that they are bullfighting enthusiasts. I think that statistic says a lot.

Originally posted by +chips
only 12% of Spanish people voted

Exactly. How many people vote they like football? You know the actual number is far larger.

If they pre-weaken the bull, gell the eyes, etc, etc...then the Matadors are indeed cowards. From a nuetral standpoint and putting myself in your shoes, that would be the point I would make. Call them cowards and dare them to make it into a real sport without any cheating on the Matador's part. What results of any sports anywhere when too many men die or are brutally injured? The sport is outlawed faster and more effectively than any amount of expensive lobbying could possibly accomplish.

I would bet 10% of my monthly income at the time you accomplish it, that you cant do it. Right now, hosting is a mere 5% of my monthly income as it is not my only business......that is simply just to give you an idea of the bet I just offered.. I am fairly sure you have not the courage, patience, ruthlessness, willingness and heart needed to accomplish such a goal. The Spanards are a tough people, and dont like their traditions being questioned, much less messed with.

Originally posted by Webdude
I would bet 10% of my monthly income at the time you accomplish it, that you cant do it. Right now, hosting is a mere 5% of my monthly income as it is not my only business......that is simply just to give you an idea of the bet I just offered.. I am fairly sure you have not the courage, patience, ruthlessness, willingness and heart needed to accomplish such a goal. The Spanards are a tough people, and dont like their traditions being questioned, much less messed with.

Two words: Watch me.

This is the kind of thing I will not give up on. I will use every resource, every contact, everything I can to see this through to the end. I don't care whether people don't like me questioning their traditions; I will stand up to that.

You've got a bet, Webdude.

Go ahead Chips, try and question what we do. Why don't you question our economic growth, being the fastest in europe? Why don't you question our commitment to the free market which 95% of Spaniards support? We will not stand behind any attempt to subvert anything we do.

Giancarlo, Spain is not the only country offering the bullfighting 'spectacle'. If just one country is stopped that is a huge bonus!

Back