• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bullfighting - a cruel and murderous Spanish tradition

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
In past decades, bullfighting has been an accepted and admired 'sport'. It has been portrayed as courageous and matadors have been made into heroes. In reality, bullfighting is a murderous, vicious bloodbath with no bravery. 35,000 bulls are inhumanely slaughtered annually in Spain alone.
Prior to a bullfight, the bull has his sight diminished by petroleum jelly, strength eliminated by tranquilizers, given laxatives and severe beatings to the kidneys. Additionally, heavy weights are hung around his neck weeks prior to the actual fight, and confinement in darkness for hours preceding the fight. Over 90% of bulls in fights have had their horns 'shaved'. This means that several cm's of the bull's horns have been shaved off, and the bull misses the target he is aiming for because of the altered angle.
Although the matador is represented as brave to face the bull; the truth is the poor animal is much too weak to defend himself when it comes time to fight. The bull is released into the ring and stabbed repeatedly by the matador, two picadors on horses and three men on foot. Horses are also a victim to this cruel Spanish tradition. The bull, frightened and angered by the attacks induced on him, fights back by thrusting his horns at his torturers. Unfortunately, his opponents are on horseback and the bull instead strikes the horses. Prior to being used in a bullfight, horses are shot behind the ear with dope, blindfolded, gored and have wet newspaper stuffed in their ears. Their vocal cords are also cut so their terrified, pained cries do not distract or disturb the crowd. Promoters of bullfighting claim to be 'saving' the horses from glue factories; as old plow horses are used.

Subsequent to the degrading and vicious attack to the bulls and horses, the matador waits until the bull is decimated by blood loss and exhaustion before attempting to make a clean kill with a sword to the heart. He rarely succeeds and often pierces the bull's lungs instead, thus prolonging his torture. To spare the audience the sight of a helpless animal about to die; often a dagger is used to cut the bull's spinal cord, thus finalizing his murder. The bull is also victim to having his ears and tail hacked off, whether conscious or not.

Adding to the horror of this disgusting execution of an innocent animal is "baby bullfights". Bulls, 3-4 years old, are brought into the arena and stabbed to death by the fights' spectators. The ears and tail are then sliced off, often when the baby bull is still conscious - and therefore very aware of pain. Bulls are now especially bred for bullfighting in 280 ranches across Mexico. Selective breeding ensures that bulls are created to return to the torture of the matador time and time again, and die in the most 'pleasing' way possible for the audience.

Perhaps the reason this murderous sport still exists is the profit bullfight owners pull in, $1.2 million/year. If a bull could speak, would his murder still be allowed for profit? Is $1.2 million justification for torturing and murdering 35,000 bulls per year? Is it right to torture, torment, destroy and slaughter a living creature solely for entertainment?

Okay, the above was written by me gathered from facts I researched over a number of weeks. I just wanted your views about it - it's taken from a new section on my site.

http://www.bittergirl.net

bullfighting sucks.

What urks me is how people could actually enjoy watching something like that. Sickening.

I've read a lot of accounts where people have been on holiday in Spain, and have thought, "Oh, well let's go watch a bullfight"; not fully understanding what it's all about until they witness it firsthand. If people stopped going, the $1.2 million/year would evaporate and it would no longer be a sport.

One of the worst things is, both Pepsi and Coke claim that they will never sponsor an event which involves animal cruelty - and yet they happily pay sponsorship for bullfighting in Spain regularly; regardless of the statements they release. :mad:

P.S. Toefur, check your PM's.

Bullfighting is a part of my country's culture, and there is no way any know-it-all animal rights activist will steal that away! When it comes to my country it means business.

I've never seen a Spanish bull fight. I've seen bull fights in Provençe though. They actually have an older tradition and are much nicer. The bull isn't killed and the "matador" isn't armed. It's all about getting close to the bull and manage to fasten a ribbon on its horns. :)

British fox hunting and Norwegian seal slaughter with bats aren't that appealing either.

Originally posted by stu
what if they were killing gay bulls? :whatthe:

Stu, if you are going to make a mockery out of my arguments be a little bit more initutive (SP?).

I have seen many bull-fights... and if you think it is cruel... then do any of you eat hamburgers or any meat? If you do, and think that bull-fighting is cruel, you are a hypocrit.

Well, in all fairness, the manner of the execution of beef cattle is a far cry from the spectacle of bullfighting.

It's even more cruel. But not a spectacle. The way we keep animals and the way we slaughter them stink.

Ehe i thinks it really mean aswell.. but i got a joke regarding this:

One day a tourist visited Spain. He really liked the food and went to the closet restraunt. He asked for what ever he could get with the money he had, the waiter grinned and returned to the kitchen. 20 minutes later he came out with a massive platter of food, with to meat balls in the middle. The tourist ate the food and asked what it was. The waiter replied "Bulls Balls from the fighting". The tourist said they were very nice and he would return for more. He did. This time the meat balls were slightly smaller, but nicer, according to the tourist, he asked the waiter what he got this time. The waiter said " The bull not always wins"

Yes we are. I'm also willing to trash a British tradition. See? I'm double ignorant. :D

Originally posted by meow
Yes we are. I'm also willing to trash a British tradition. See? I'm double ignorant. :D

Well you won't succeed. So talk about something else. All of this is talk, and you can't do anything about it. Nor will it change. It is too popular in my country.

So you ignorant people are willing to trash a tradition of my country?
How far must a practice go before it can no longer hide under the guise of "culture"? I mean, hey, in pre-revolution America we thought it was a great hoot to cover someone in molten tar and stick various objects on them before they dried (although not feathers, too valuable to waste on a lark), but we don't exactly do that stuff anymore.
[Slaughtering cattle for beef is] even more cruel
Yes, I see how that's so... :confused:

If you don't want to talk about it you could simply stop reading this thread.

Back