• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Your web projects?

alley

Social Nutwork
NLC
DO you own any popular/successful websites?

Most of my sites are flops. I have some great ideas, but I don't have the coding skills, or capital needed to materialize my dreams.
Seems like you have to have a real good custom script to be successful out there.

I have lots of time, motivation, ideas, and love for my projects, just fall short on skill and money.

I have nice ideas, some capital, some time, some coding skill, and some dedication. I don't have any successful sites (maybe because I have some of each). Time to boost up my SOMEs into ALOTs?

I have no succesfull websites, but I'm a ok coder and a good webdesigner..

I'm thinking of starting up a garfield fan site, is anyone intrested?

Last edited:
I have 2 projects.

First Project: GamesZap.com. Play over 400 free online games. This website has 1000 + members, 1000's of monthly uniques, and 500 + game plays a day. So I'd say its a success. I still update it with more games from time to time. This project was started in Feb 2006.

Second Project: FrostHost.net. It's my current project, basicly a paid hosting company. Its not 100% a success yet, but Im working on it. Started Sept 2006

When FrostHost becomes fully established, I will start a project that will be a website for webmasters can go to for tutorials, tips, tricks, articles, templates etc...

I'm a professional in scripting and coding websites, but I can't design graphics and templates - So I get someone else to make a template for me.

I'm really surprised at the growth rate of GamesZap, I havn't even paid money to advertise it, I just advertised it in a few forums, and added my URL to a few search engines - Then a few months later I get 100's of members. In MSN search, if you searched 'shooting games', gameszap would be on the second page - But that doesn't happen anymore unfortunately, since I changed the design of the site.

Last edited:
I suppose you could call hoogetech a success, as long as you don't look at monetary figures ;-) I have lost a great deal of cash in it because of the lack of paid hostees, but primiarly I enjoy doing it for my way of "giving back" to this community. Hae around 45 clients, I consider it a success.

I used to run a site dedicated to "The Sims" that offered user created downloads, it was a large success. I had it back when I joined here in late 01 or early 02 (cant remember), and it accumlated over 100,000 visitors in its lifespan.

Outside of that, I had plenty of flops and now i just don't try!

I have no imagination, can code all day long, but can't make things look nice, so mostly I just start things and never finish ....

I have lots of sites, but very few are successful enough to a degree of continuous stable revenue.

FunkyProxy was good - I didn't get around to telling anybody at my school about it, but one time I went into the IT room at break and nearly everyone was using it.

To make a site successful, you generally need more than one person. Barely everybody has the skills great enough so they have all of:
Ideas
Coding skills
Marketing / SEO
Promotion
Revenue optimising
Capital

www.AllPoem.com
www.Free-Msn-Emoticons.com
------------------------------
Started in 2003 with a friend. I did the coding and gfx, he did the promotion, seo and stuff.

Sites were a success in the beginning, For a few months AllPoem was averaging 1300 uniques daily. Now it has less then 100. heh
FreeMsn has about 300 daily. And together they still earn enough profit to cover hosting + monthly gas for the car.

Now I'm working on my own, better and improved, versions of those websites :)

I can think of the ideas, but I really need PR people to do most of my promotions when it comes to the big stuff.

Great point. :)

I have always gone solo, and it is hard to do everything yourself.
On some sites I appoint mods, and forum admins to lighten the moderation load, but most of them don't have any skills in using content managment systems and such so I have to do all of the updates and everything related to the design and such. I am good at installing php scripts and editing and configuring them to suit my needs, but I know nothiong about programming so I am very limited in what I can actually create. Most of the cms's that I use can't really do what I want them to do so I need a coder to make my sites/ideas the way I really want them.

For now I just do the best I can with what I know and what I have available to me, and hope to learn more in the future.

I remember a few years ago I couldn't even install my own scripts so I have come a long way. I just wish I was a php wizzard ..haha
I would have some sweet sites!

I myself am really big on social networking and community niche type websites. I think they have the potential to grow in to something big just by word of mouth alone. I mean look at MySpace and communities.com .
I really enjoy being the admin/webmaster of community projects and being known by everyone as the friendly admin ..lol
I feel that the more interactive a site is the better. I just love sites that allow you to create your own content, or add information to the site once you register. I am working on the ideas to develope a few niche fan sites soon as well that will allow members to create and edit their own web pages. Krak Joe is helping me create the script I need for these projects.

To make a site successful, you generally need more than one person. Barely everybody has the skills great enough so they have all of:
Ideas
Coding skills
Marketing / SEO
Promotion
Revenue optimising
Capital

Last edited:
Get Drupal. or vbDrupal for the vBulletin integration.

After almost 4 days of using it I'm still amazed at how great it is.

The last site I spend 2 weeks learning / custom coding / debugging / testing.
Drupal cut that time to 3 days, and I can offer my mebers tons more features then what I could code myself.

I'm currently finilizing the last few countent display glitches and will have a fully working site before I goto sleep this morning. Not bad to 4 days of work.

Wow, I have read that Drupal is not very user friendly.
I tried it once a long time ago and it seemed hard to understand to me as well.
I prefer xoops, phpnuke, or phpwebsite myself. xoops is my favorite though.

Get Drupal. or vbDrupal for the vBulletin integration.

After almost 4 days of using it I'm still amazed at how great it is.

The last site I spend 2 weeks learning / custom coding / debugging / testing.
Drupal cut that time to 3 days, and I can offer my mebers tons more features then what I could code myself.

I'm currently finilizing the last few countent display glitches and will have a fully working site before I goto sleep this morning. Not bad to 4 days of work.

Lol im a bit like you alley. I kind of start these projects but they never get done. Mainly because i can put any money into the projects. But so far My only half successful site has been i9Host as i've got 1000 uniques this month But still ill name some and you guys can see how unsuccessful i am :(
Matsta.org, Blappleberry, Gamer Planet, Virtual Chops, Nos Forums, Web Chat Dev, Mp3fone, Riderz Place, Tx, Ssx cube, ice-fusion, Roman2005. See if I tried to make these sites all popular it would take years :(

I am working on a real estate related web project right now with some HIGHLY talented people. It doesn't really take money to get started just a great business plan/idea and people to believe in you.

Our idea does differ from a lot of other web based projects because it is fairly unique, taps into a relatively uncharted market, and I know it well because I myself use to be a successful realtor and I know what the business needs relating to the internet seeing how that is how I grabbed most of my business.

My opinion is that in order to be really successful in something you have to realize there is a NEED for it and you must have the knowledge to create something unique from it. Things like cobbling together a couple of premade scripts won't make you a pioneer of anything.

I'm like a lot of people, start a project and never finish... just like stuffblog lol

except I did get a version released, although not everything was finished :p

I wish I could code really good. That would allow me to do a lot more things than I'm doing right now. It'd be nice if I can find a php coder that's willing to venture along with me and my ideas. Maybe then we'll get somewhere.

Back