• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Yay Yupapa is moving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok Dedicated server = $200 a month
let's just say 50 users, paying on average $6 a month sooo...
50x$6=$300 so basically he is making AT THE VERY LEAST $100 a month, for what? Designing a web site and going through the trouble of registering and taking new accounts, hey I probably work more on my site than he does on his, and he gets $100 a month for it, sounds like a good deal.

Chances are he is paying more like $100 a month for his server and the average person is paying more like $8 a month for there hosting, and he has more than 50 users so it is really like

75x$8=$600

Wa la, $500 bucks a month. Wow I am convincing myself to do this...

Originally posted by guitarnerd
Chances are he is paying more like $100 a month for his server and the average person is paying more like $8 a month for there hosting, and he has more than 50 users so it is really like

75x$8=$600

Wa la, $500 bucks a month. Wow I am convincing myself to do this...

It is tempting isn't it...

I was considering it myself. :D

Maybe you should consider a career in Economics guitarnerd, as you seem to be able to work things out in a positive way ;)

Originally posted by guitarnerd
Hey I am 15 and I am starting a host

your going to lose loads of money if you dont it right

you need to get the server $$$

get a control panel $$$

get a back up system $$$

automatic signup

have good support

know alot about unix (if unix machine)

i bet you think its going to be a point and click kinda thing and you will get money in your mail box for doing nothing

I am working on becoming a programmer, I am fifteen and do web design, I just finished my VB6 book and am going to go buy a C# book, I know some actionscript/java.

Isolized first off, I know its not a point and click thing, not to mention I have set up stuff like that before, I am not concerned with money, and I am not renting or reselling anything, I am paying for it all so I am not going to lose any money. if I have 10 members paying $5 a month I will actually start making a profit. And when I do need help I have the best possible references. My Dad was a programmer back in the day of Cobalt and some other thing I don't remember and knows a lot about networking etc. Not to mention a whole list of nerds that i know that are currently professional programmers. So yes I know what I am doing...

I was just having a cheap shot at yupapa.com knockers. The guy is willing to have a go and provide reasonably cheap hosting. If he runs at a loss, then that is his business and his only, at least it is still up and running which is more than we can say for some.

That indicates to me and should to others involved in this thread also that he is not running at a loss.

And Toefur, should you decide to go into the hosting business, I advise you to advertise it elsewhere so you don't get all the negativity that these dudes spit out willy-nilly ;)

Firstly, saying negative things about a host is wrong, unless they are bad like Hostonce etc. Yupapa does work hard trying to provide customers with good support, putting down other hosts makes you look bad. I also think that your post is against the rules and agree with Jan, good on him for trying.

I just got done editing a rather nasty post and I want to address the thread regarding it. It is unacceptable to attack anyone personally and the rules clearly state this. I tend to give new users the benefit of the doubt but I've been seeing it even more often lately and it's not from new users.

A few general comments:

- It is indeed in bad taste for one host to comment on another host. As such Peo placed it in the rules but even if it wasn't there this is one of those common sense rules that everyone should know.
- It's in bad taste to put down a company by saying they only have X number of clients. Regardless of how large they are they don't deserve to be treated badly simply because they are small and/or new.
- If a new member posts a question that is common sense to you think back to when you didn't know better. Now wouldn't you prefer a kind and professional reply? Try and show some respect for other members regardless of how long they have been around here and regardless of their knowledge.

These are all common sense in my opinion and they are issues I've been seeing. Please show some common sense and handle yourself in a civil manner.

With that said, please continue the thread.

If you are thinking of starting your own host, then their are a few things to consider. It's not just a matter of paying $100 for a cheap box and loading it up.

1) Getting a server.

It's true, you can get servers for $100. But they are seriously underpowered, probably 450Mhz, 128MB ram boxes. An 800 or 1000MB box will cost more. Then there's the control panel licence, back up solutions and anything extra like a Real Server, SCSI Drives etc.

2) Managing your server.

Do you know Linux/Apache? If not, then a RackShack server isn't going to help you. They take care of the hardware, the software is up to you. Then there are different levels of system administration. For example, we have an excellent sysadmin who knows Linux/Apache extremely well. However, different control panels interact with the server in different ways so certain commands differ. That's why we pay a little extra to have our servers housed at RackSpace. They have a full team of sysadmins and level 3 techs who know Plesk well and how it integrates with the server. So then a company can different level of support. Simple techs like myself and a few others, and if we can't work it out it goes to the system administrator and he can pass an issue on to the DC.

3) Support.

That brings us to support. Support will eat 80% of your time and you'd better know what you're doing or learn fast. You need to a good system that works. Support will make or break a company. Don't offer 24/7 support unless you can really provide it. Support can be provided by Manuals, FAQ, Forums, Helpdesk, Email, Phone, Live Chat or all of them. That means development. If you have your own server, you'll be competing with the big boys so your site better be pretty. (In the majority of cases.) Developing support tools costs money too.

4) Billing.

Merchant Account, third party processor or PayPal? You will need a good and stable solution to accept payment for your services. PayPal alone will hardly suffice.

5) Getting Customers.

Needless to say a very vital part of your business. You will need to find a niche, a unique market to tap or you will need to spend cash money on advertising at certain locations. (And that can be a bottomless pit) You need a good way to track the efficiency of your campaigns too.

These are the main things to consider. Setting up HostNexus took around $10,000. We spend about $1000/mo on advertising and $1600/mo and hardware. Revecom handles our payments and they take a hefty chunk, too.

If anyone would like any advice whatsoever on starting up a host then I'm only to happy to help. Hosting is all about helping people and solving problems. I work 20 hrs a day on average but I just love love this industry. Even though you'll have to put up with the occaisional negative comment and uncalled outburst. Negative comments in the form of constructive critisism can be helpful but being rude, indignant and childish helps nobody.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Todd

- It's in bad taste to put down a company by saying they only have X number of clients. Regardless of how large they are they don't deserve to be treated badly simply because they are small and/or new.
I was just being cheeky, Todd, no malice intended.

Originally posted by NexDog
Even though you'll have to put up with the occaisional negative comment and uncalled outburst. Negative comments in the form of constructive critisism can be helpful but being rude, indignant and childish helps nobody.
I don't see any need for criticism at all, and the said criticism usually amounts to "being rude, indignant and childish" anyway.

The topic of this particular thread is that yupapa.com is no longer with donhost, but all we got on the first page or two were mainly needless insults to YUPAPA and his business

I hope all will heed Todd's advice and at least be civil.

And what would be wrong with hosting websites on a 450MHZ machine? im guessing by picking this spec your on about cobalts.

1) Getting a server.

It's true, you can get servers for $100. But they are seriously underpowered, probably 450Mhz, 128MB ram boxes. An 800 or 1000MB box will cost more. Then there's the control panel licence, back up solutions and anything extra like a Real Server, SCSI Drives etc.

Sorry, I was just trying to help. Obviously I know nothing.

Would you sign up with a host that advertised 450Mhz machines? It's called speed. Sure, it's sufficient to host 50 domains.

I'll just continue to waffle and let you more experienced guys advise.

I don't think everyone should start critiscising YUPAPA's hosting. Have you actually used it? He's trying his best and as someone said his hosting is pretty decent anyway. Maybe those with no evidence should reconsider what they said. What has he done to you?

Rackshack gives heaps of features for less $$ but its not really good as serve rhardware is sometimes faulty (like T35 found out) and downtime and speed is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back