• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Whats your favorite HTML editor?

Originally posted by puDDs
Now why would you wanna do that on a 100+ page site? Do the intelligent thing and use php: <?virtual("/include/file.html")?> or ssi: <!--#include virtual="/include/file.html"-->. And if you don't have access to either, get a better webhost.

Two reasons....first, the template is an outline, not just a menu on the side (see link - http://www.newsfromtheass.com/archives.html). And second, ssi is slower than straight code. And since its so simple to make changes, I would rather keep it in code. I have no access to php, or I would use that, but for another use...

Since I'm a unix guy you know I don't use Dreamweaver. I use XEmacs....

Now, changing a template? Personally I'd store all the data in a database and then build the pages from a template. Take all of 2 minutes.

(now if you don't have access to a suitable database or perl I can understand if you don't use that solution)

matthew@atlascgi.com

Originally posted by puDDs
Two reasons....first, the template is an outline, not just a menu on the side (see link - http://www.newsfromtheass.com/archives.html). And second, ssi is slower than straight code. And since its so simple to make changes, I would rather keep it in code. I have no access to php, or I would use that, but for another use...

PHP or SSI doesn't have to be a small section of the page... Why do a lot of people think that? My PHP/SSI include file is all the code from

<html>

to the content part. and the other template file goes to

</html>

That way I can do exactly what you do in Dreamweaver. You are right in the fact the SSI is slower than code, but I have found that PHP is just as fast as code.

I agree with Nick on the speed of php. For example my website has over 6 php calls and several database calls on each page and there isnt any noticeable loss of speed.

Originally posted by Koolguy
I agree with Nick on the speed of php. For example my website has over 6 php calls and several database calls on each page and there isnt any noticeable loss of speed.

Try having thousands of people accessing that page at the same time. It'll still work, but it's much better if you can use static pages -- trust me, I know from experience.

-mk

Originally posted by Nick
Originally posted by kyle
I use 1st Page 2000 If anyone wants a copy email kicker234@yahoo.com (it is a freeware software html editor)

Why screw around with email? Just go to http://evrsoft.com/1stpage/ and get it....

I've never been a fan of HTML editors, but this one's not bad... I like the fact that it has different modes (easy,normal,expert,etc.).

Originally posted by Mandrake
I've never been a fan of HTML editors, but this one's not bad... I like the fact that it has different modes (easy,normal,expert,etc.).
[/B]

I agree that it is a fine program as Dreamweaver is a fine program too. Yet, I'm still a Notepad type of guy ;)

Originally posted by Mandrake

I agree that it is a fine program as Dreamweaver is a fine program too. Yet, I'm still a Notepad type of guy ;) [/B]

Editplus is much better than notepad..
http://www.softseek.com

I use a WYSIWYG editor to try out new designs, colours etc. But when I actually create my page, I usually use notepad or LaEdit. It's a simple HTML editor

I use MS-DOS Editor Edit.COM 2.0.026, it's better than Notepad, pretty hard core huh? Haha Right!

I use Dreamweaver 3 along with any other editor that's available.

I also heard about a WYSIWYG editor called 'Namo' which they said it has more features than Dreamweaver but I never tried it.

Regards,

Have I already said that I use Arachnophilia ??? If so, ignore this, I've forgotten if I've put a post in this thread already. It is a nice, free HTML editor which I use like notepad.

Why do you say that?

When I am working with some scripts that are multiple files (i.e. 5 or 6 files) I find it easier to have them all open in EditPad rather than having 5 or 6 separate Notepad windows open. See, when I do pages, I have multiple IE windows open, FTP open, Notepad open, it gets really cluttered on the taskbar with all that plus an extra 5 Notpads open... hard to tell which window I need next. So I use Edit Pad. Don't get me wrong - I use Notepad about 85% of the time I do my sites, just EditPad comes in handy in those special moments :D

I completely replaced Notepad with Editpad... Simply deleted notepad.exe and renamed editpad.exe to notepad.exe and I use it for all plain text and html files.

NoteTab Light

NoteTab light is the best one out there. I have never tried Editpad, but NoteTab has everything that a text/html editor would need.

Seriously, Notepad SUCKS. There is nothing 'cool' about saying you like it, that thing is weak. You are a pussy if you like that.. I have written web pages before that were too big for Notepad. OK, so my coding skills are pretty bad, but Notepad can't handle real files period. I had to copy it all over into Dreamweaver 2, which is great but hogs resources. NoteTab Light handles unlimited file size and it's fast too.

Actually it isn't TRULY unlimited for all you out there. There is no such thing as an unlimited hard drive blah blah blah.. well NoteTab Light can handle file size up to 8 gigs according to their site.

For larger sites (60 or more pages) I use Hotdog Pro 6.2 but for quick and easy sites I still like NetObjects Fusion 4.0 the best, it may garble the code but pages come out fast and easy and just the way I wanted them to look like.
I just recieved a trial version of Dreamweaver 3.0 from a friend, im going to install it one of these days, seems to be the direction alot of ppl are going.

Back