• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

StaticHost

peace_hope said:
Anyone thinking of a petition? Warning future customers and other hosting consumers that might think about going with statichost? I know that www.PetitionOnline.com is a great site to make them.

I would sign if someone made one
Why are you trying to work against us? We are trying our best to get the server up, so that you can have your account backup...

Regards,

Steve McManus.

Only because, I am sick of promises being broken and after over 88 hours of downtime, you still cannot supply us with our data. Nor give out refunds. I do not want to see this happen to anyone else with your hosting company. You have had previous downtime problems experiencing over 12 hours downtime. You and your server are just not reliable period. Not many people would disagree.

Part of My Conversation with steve:

"I have explained the situation, these corrupt config files is probably one of the reasons why the server wouldn't boot when everything messed up. It will take a long time to rebuild themHe has been working on it for a few hours now."

He waited until it was over 80 hours downtime to find assistance in getting it back up. I know that if my server is down for over 2 hours, I would get assistance in getting back up asap.

Last edited:
We are sorry that it is taking longer than we originally thought, this is because of some corrupt files which is probably one of the reasons why the server wouldn't boot in the first place. We have hired a server admin to try and rebuild these files, and he is doing this as I type this post. :)

I think the previous downtime that you refer to were the starting effects of what is now known to be caused by bad RAM.

Edit: Since you edited your post:

peace_hope said:
He waited until it was over 80 hours downtime to find assistance in getting it back up. I know that if my server is down for over 2 hours, I would get assistance in getting back up asap.
We were unaware of these corrupt files to begin with. As soon as I became aware of them, I knew that I was unable to rebuild them so I immediately hired a server admin to do this for us.

Regards,

Steve McManus.

Last edited:
Lots of people are saying that statichost is learning from this experience. But in my opinoin after over 88 hours downtime, there is not much more to learn, other than you have no clue what you are doing, and are making more enemies than friends.

I absolutely see both sides of the field, being a customer of them myself. If they caused you problems or things of that nature, I think you should take it up with them through pm or whatever source works best for you both. I'm not trying to calm anyone down or even tell them don't be angry. We all react naturally and it's obvious some have had a horrible experience with it all, which I completely understand just as I'm sure they do. There is a very lengthy thread of why they have disappointed their customers, I just think it's time the matter is dealt with more professionally than petitioning to put them out because of this. Maybe they'll lose all their clients, maybe half, maybe only 1 or 2. They are the ones that will have to deal with the customers.

I'll also agree that their should have been many emails or some kind of contact coming to us. I don't defend that, it's absolutely true. The point of it all is, they're trying to get the server back up(I don't know in detail how hard, but I assume the best they can), take care of all problems and get back to normal so they can have a future hopefully free of this problem. Wether you or I stay or go is not an issue, I just know that if I were in business and even though I admittedly made errors along the way, I'd want to be able to prove myself worthy again and push forward. This will be a learning experience for us all and I'm sure they, probably more-so than we, will take further pre-cautions and steps to secure their future as a host.

It's just my opinion, please no one take offense. I'm just as upset and ready to jump ship as some of you others, but let's not beat a dead horse when it's not getting anything done, any faster. If I'm unhappy, I have the freedom to change at anytime. The refunds and or problems should be taken up seperately. I'm sure they have a big burden to carry now, since this is a high traffic forum. If they make it or not is up to them, their future is in their hands. :) And I'm sorry to any of you that have taken a financial loss due to this, it's always sad to hear. I've got my fingers crossed for you all!

I do request that you do keep us updated here as often as you can.

I wont sign a petition as i dont want them to go out of business as I payed hosting for two years in advance.

I am an indirect customer of StaticHost. This downtime is simply the latest problem I've encountered in trying to unlock a Sony K700i phone - I need to upgrade its firmware via a program, but it's trying to get them via FTP from davinci.statichost.co.uk.

I assume that when the server is back up and running, then so will the davinci account and everything will be fine?

Michael

I am not in favour of a petition but how about a poll. Either peace hope duscusses his problems privately or gets booted.
All I want is the site up and running and this babbling about petitions and what he/she would have done differently without knowing all the facts is seriously beginning to bore me.
Is it just me?

How about we just sit and wait instad of some of us acting like kids....

Anyone watching the Birdcage on Sky Movies tonight?

Nice idea dendens... sorry to divert your idea but here is an update.

Update: Our server admin seems to think he has found a good way of rebuilding the files, so he is now writing a script that will automate the rebuilding of them quickly. :)

Regards,

Steve McManus.

dunno said:
I am not in favour of a petition but how about a poll. Either peace hope duscusses his problems privately or gets booted.
All I want is the site up and running and this babbling about petitions and what he/she would have done differently without knowing all the facts is seriously beginning to bore me.
Is it just me?

No it's not just you.

Anthony, i've added you to MSN, when will you be online?

My advice is to take control where YOU can - forget StaticHost - the last 3+ days proves they are an irrelevance not worth anymore time and trouble

Refund your clients, offer them alternate hosting [If you can} rebuild sites and databases [again if you can] elsewhere.

As per my previous post I believe this host is doomed - anyone who continue hosting with them after this debacle is both a fool to themselves and any of their clients - Professionally- they should go out of business - regardless the market should take them out.

I have a moral position that they should fail as well, but that is a personal view that people/companies should take responsibility for their failings - other may argue that this host has done that but I {and many other who I share buisness interests with} do not concur that this true of this host.

At the end of the say we all each must take our own personal view on the rights and wrongs of this host - I have taken my business elewhere

I will balance this argument by saying thanks to StaticHost for at least refunding me my last months hosting fee

Last edited:
We are not doomed. Many hosting companies experiece something like this once, and most of the time they will stop business. We have no plans to stop business and we are going to continue to expand.

Just so you all know, it's back up and running. Sorry for the downtime!

Note - Only HTTP is up, the databases & cPanel access will resume momentarily.

Last edited:
Back