• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

posts count

yes there are still plenty of discussions going on in here. it isn't hurting anything imho

Yup, this is just fine. Post count isn't only about spamming. It has also been a 'bat' for people to say that someone is spamming. Better use weeps' old sticks for fighting. ;)

I strongly object to the removal of post counting for this forum. Most of my posts are legit with the rules, and people who are spamming just should be banned and/or have about twenty posts removed.

Giancarlo: you've reached the highest member level, so I don't see why you would bother with a strong objection to not having your posts count in here.

Cyber: as far as I can understand the same goes for you. (unless I cut off 20 from your post count now j/k :D )

Originally posted by Peo
Giancarlo: you've reached the highest member level, so I don't see why you would bother with a strong objection to not having your posts count in here.

Cyber: as far as I can understand the same goes for you. (unless I cut off 20 now :D )

Well, I like to see the number go up anyways when I make decent posts here.

lol! How come anyone even cares? Sure, avatars and stuff are fun but apart from that? I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know.
My main reason for not liking the post count is that it obviously causes a lot of unfriendliness here. In my book anything that makes a forum less hostile is good.

It's the principle, Peo. I couldn't care less about my post count and I'm sure neither do Giancarlo or Cyber, but I still very much believe this is a very foolhardy decision you're making and it will do much more harm than good in the long run.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
Well, I like to see the number go up anyways when I make decent posts here.

Perhaps Peo can modify the script so it gives you a star every week you've been an active member. :D

Originally posted by meow
lol! How come anyone even cares? Sure, avatars and stuff are fun but apart from that? I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know.
My main reason for not liking the post count is that it obviously causes a lot of unfriendliness here. In my book anything that makes a forum less hostile is good.

I don't think it is causing any hostility.

The post counts wouldn't cause any harm nor good, but I make decent posts sometimes.

The main point for removing it from this forum only, is to make the difference between this and the other parts of the forum clearer and to stop the abusive post-count posts in here. It's a very hard forum to moderate regarding such abuse, since almost all discussions should be allowed within this forum.

The other forums are strictly related to the topic of that forum, which in turn is also related to the topic of this site. That makes it easier for us to stop such abuse on those forums, which we can concentrate on now.

It's a very hard forum to moderate regarding such abuse, since almost all discussions should be allowed within this forum.
This doesn't make any sense, you're saying the posts are valid but they're also abusive. Which is it? Here's a scenario:

General forum:

"What color are your eyes?"
"My eyes are blue"
"Mine too"

Site review forum:

"What do you think about my site?"
"I like the colors"
"Me too"

Ad revenue forum:

"Have you heard anything bad about these people?"
"No, only good"
"Me neither"

Of course, sometimes it's obvious who's posting just to inflate their post count while staying on topic, such as the third person here is. Sometimes it isn't. But, if it isn't obvious, then what's the problem? The second person here, each and every one of those posts could had been pulled straight out of his ass, but if they don't appear to be and seem, for all intensive purposes, to go along perfectly fine with the topic, what's the matter with them? Without knowing them all to be false, would you deem a post of a person who comments on the colors of a website or the good word of an advertiser as spam? Then why would you someone who responds to a question on their eye color? What's the difference? You say fluff posts are easier to spot on the other forums because of their narrower topics, I don't agree.

And there seems to be some contradiction, not from you specifically but from the general tone of the thread, as to what the post-count problem actually is. Post counts have only a few benefits, titles, avatars, custom titles, the top 10 list, that's about it. In one breath, post counts are touted for these. In the next, they're condemned for causing people to inflate their posts to try to attain them. Despite what many of you say, that they're just avatars and titles and of no real importance-- they are. If they meant nothing there would be no argument. In an idilic world, these benefits would come from years of thought-out, well-written, helpful posts, but let's not fool ourselves. With so few way to individualize yourself on a forum, trifles like avatars and titles do matter and people will strive by whatever means to get them. Cutting the count from one forum because of its broad topic wont stop this, not in the slightest. You don't stop a destructive force by removing one of it's eight means, you stop a destructive force by removing the desire to cause it. These "benefits" must be available to all or none and the post count must be abolished entirely. That would solve the problem.

But, in my opinion, it's a problem that doesn't need solving. I say, with more moderation, any of the blatant fluff posts on any of the forums could be spotted pretty quickly and taken care of, and those that aren't blatant... they're not hurting anyone. If by just reading a post you can't tell if it's abusive then chances are it isn't and even if it is, such as my "what color are your eyes/my eyes are blue" example, they're only abusive to the one who posted it, to everyone else it's perfectly acceptable. I've seen some beautiful, eloquent, thought-provoking posts here on the general forum in the past and I've seen incoherent, mindless, dribble posted on the free services and webspace forums. By just doing a silly little thing like counting or not counting the post toward the post count, you're elevating these later posts over the former, you're demeaning those because of the actions of spammers who aren't even going to be affected by the punishment. If you don't think this will demoralize those that spend virtually their entire visit on the general forum, you're sadly mistaken. The shear seeming-insignificance of post counts may mask it at first, but this change will take its effect on those that post here and almost nowhere else.

Okay... So what's the big deal about post counts?
If you have something to say that's relevant to the topic, you say it. If you don't, don't.
I've been a member of this BBS since it started, but have some rediculously low post count. Not because nearly all of my posts have been in this forum, but because I don't post unless I have something to contribute. So now my post count slows even further. It doesn't matter.

(My apologies, I hadn't noticed how old this thread was when I got here from the "Hello, I am new here" thread)

Last edited:
Well, post counts are everything if you're 2nd place. I'm coming after you LeX [this must have been the third time I've said this]... :angry2:

I've been taking all the pussycats away from you. ;)

No, actually I've been hitting the books. Gotta get back into the routine.

I think Peo's intention was just shown above. There were a few posts that weren't relevant at all and could be seen as post inflators. Had he not made the change and following Dusty's advice we would be removing those posts. That's only one scenario but I assure you there are many more.

If Peo didn't change the post counts then it would have been one of two scenarios:
1. We continue to allow the general chat and let it inflate post counts.
2. We start to censor more and get more moderators on board to remove any post that isn't 100% relevant. We become extremely strict and it looses any type of community that it once had.

I support Peo's choice because now you can converse freely in the general forum. You won't be accused of posting just to increase your post count (in this section) and those of you who don't run sites are free to converse in the General forum just like before.

If someone is going to try and post just to increase their post count they will do it. Rather then reply in one long post to cover each point they'll just respond to one point and then reply again covering the next.. We really can't stop them unless we go back to #2 where we start editing and censoring a lot more messages.

Hey, I don't really care, for if I'm in the mood, I can just go on a posting streak in the Free Webspace forum. :p

(Of course I'd be helping other users out. ;))

Back