• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Kiddie Hosts, and their oversold resellers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
These big providers who have big plans - they don't all suck. There's reasons why they are big and why millions are using them. And no, it's not because they buy another server when they oversell - that's a ridiculous way of looking at it.

What is even more ridiculous is "kiddie hosts" boasting "We don't oversell! Buy from us!" when they have a reseller account on a server which itself is being oversold. If you actually don't oversell in any way, your hosting prices ought to be very high.

Yes I agree about that "kiddie hosts", but what can you do about it, nothing same thing as overselling. The funniest thing what I see with some kids or even "teen", whatever, from 12-15, call them self a WH CEO, for that you need to have certificate, for example I study Informational Technologys, and I for every finished year, get some "Title", for example, 1. Year when I finish I get a diploma, cisco certificat, and Title as System Administrator, after second year, I get title programer, and etc... when I finish it i become "Magistar" - Master of IT, and if I wan to go more which I will, I will be a dr.sci for IT. About kids running the hosts, well there are some of them that have some potentional, which will not stop doing their job and do all what they can, but like some1 mentioned 10/100 for $1-2 , that is imposible :shame: . First take some things, You need to have some control panel, and you will not use Webmin, Confix or even Zpanel which is free, yes you can if you rent a server for torrents or that kind of stuff, but for webhosting you need to have at least cPanel, with Fantastico which is extra charge, Direct Admin or Plesk. I preffer cPanel cause it is best for me, and all likes it. After control panel you need some billing software, for example I use clientexec and I pay for it 11.95/mo , after you buy billing software then you need some gateway processes except paypal, for example 2checkout, it is $49, good and safe, yes they have some provision (bigger for me than for USA/CA, cause I am in Bosnia (Europe) but for me they are excelent. Suggestion for all before buying a host, check who they are and that kind of stuff. When I search for something I use netcraft, now I have it installed on FF, and when I open some page it show me DC, Year of First showing online, Rank, Risk Rating, location. And the simple one search if you use linux I just type in my console host blabla.com it give me IP address, I do whois 2xx.xxx.xx.x, see from where it comes, ping it, do a nmap search to see is host a live or not, and also show me the time needed for that search, after that all I go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and there research some things. Anyway if you don't have a Netcraft Toolbar, you can check by going on http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=google.com for example, and there you can see all, last reboot, the DC, then some changes, when some host change the DC and etc. But it don't show that stuff from changes if you never searched it before, cause it is not in database.
Sorry for this long post, but it is a good topic ;)

Cheers :beer:

monoblue said:
Yes I agree about that "kiddie hosts", but what can you do about it, nothing same thing as overselling. The funniest thing what I see with some kids or even "teen", whatever, from 12-15, call them self a WH CEO, for that you need to have certificate, for example I study Informational Technologys, and I for every finished year, get some "Title", for example, 1. Year when I finish I get a diploma, cisco certificat, and Title as System Administrator, after second year, I get title programer, and etc... when I finish it i become "Magistar" - Master of IT, and if I wan to go more which I will, I will be a dr.sci for IT. About kids running the hosts, well there are some of them that have some potentional, which will not stop doing their job and do all what they can, but like some1 mentioned 10/100 for $1-2 , that is imposible :shame: . First take some things, You need to have some control panel, and you will not use Webmin, Confix or even Zpanel which is free, yes you can if you rent a server for torrents or that kind of stuff, but for webhosting you need to have at least cPanel, with Fantastico which is extra charge, Direct Admin or Plesk. I preffer cPanel cause it is best for me, and all likes it. After control panel you need some billing software, for example I use clientexec and I pay for it 11.95/mo , after you buy billing software then you need some gateway processes except paypal, for example 2checkout, it is $49, good and safe, yes they have some provision (bigger for me than for USA/CA, cause I am in Bosnia (Europe) but for me they are excelent. Suggestion for all before buying a host, check who they are and that kind of stuff. When I search for something I use netcraft, now I have it installed on FF, and when I open some page it show me DC, Year of First showing online, Rank, Risk Rating, location. And the simple one search if you use linux I just type in my console host blabla.com it give me IP address, I do whois 2xx.xxx.xx.x, see from where it comes, ping it, do a nmap search to see is host a live or not, and also show me the time needed for that search, after that all I go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and there research some things. Anyway if you don't have a Netcraft Toolbar, you can check by going on http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=google.com for example, and there you can see all, last reboot, the DC, then some changes, when some host change the DC and etc. But it don't show that stuff from changes if you never searched it before, cause it is not in database.
Sorry for this long post, but it is a good topic ;)

Cheers :beer:

That's nice and all, but you do realize, your customers are split about 50/50 major Designers, Developers, and Coders looking for space and New Users, looking for their first website, or new businesses just looking to get online. DO you believe they are comparing DataCenters? Doing whois lookups?

By the way, the other guy who mentioned Dreamhost at $8 per month for 20gb space and 1tb of bandwith... they actually have a coupon code to get that plan for $25 a year (LOL)

striker,
personally I would be more inclined to buy from My-E-Space, because the big guys are so big that they couldnt care less if the client is happy/satisfied with the hosting they offer, they have a million other clients to make their money from. A small host, a good one anyway, will do whatever it takes to keep their client happy so they don't loose a customer.:wave:

my-e-space said:
striker,
personally I would be more inclined to buy from My-E-Space, because the big guys are so big that they couldnt care less if the client is happy/satisfied with the hosting they offer, they have a million other clients to make their money from. A small host, a good one anyway, will do whatever it takes to keep their client happy so they don't loose a customer.:wave:

Thats what I'd say (though, I wouldnt buy from you b/c your goofy ;) :beer: j/k)... I would prefer to go with a smaller company rather then a larger one because of the close Client-Staff relationships... Anyone who has experienced this with the larger companies I would be surprised... I have to nearly threaten every support staff person I have met at larger companies because they wouldnt/didnt do the right job...

At the smaller company it was always done with a smile on their face and done fast..

my-e-space said:
striker,

Someone else already accused you that this thread is one long big advertisement, and you proved that it wasn't, then you come back and post this about yourself?

Striker asked me if I would rather buy from the big guys, or My-E-Space (post # 59), I answered, whats wrong with that?

They said this was one big advertisiment, but if you look at the original post, it doesnt advertise My-E-Space anywhere. I did mention my name in some of the replies, but if I was tryign to advertise, wouldnt I have done it in the original post? And what does it matter to you if its an advertisment or not?

It matters because Tree did a very good job of pointing it out first.

It matters because it's kinda like breaking and/or "getting around" the 7 Day rule that many people get banned for.

Ok, I see your point, but the fact still remains that it IS NOT an advertisment! I answered a question that striker asked.

for your info I read the entire thread. I gotta ask you though, if you were a customer, who would YOU buy your hosting from? "My-E-Space.com" or 1and1 etc?? and why?

Well ok, but I don't understand why. Like I said, if it was an attempt to advertise, I would have done it in the first post. Would'nt make much sense to post something and hope that someone asked the right question so that I could plug EDIT: (my hosting service) would it.

Don't want to say my own name now for fear someone else will accuse me of advertising.

my-e-space said:
Well ok, but I don't understand why. Like I said, if it was an attempt to advertise, I would have done it in the first post. Would'nt make much sense to post something and hope that someone asked the right question so that I could plug My-E-Space would it.

Actually this thread is an ingenious advertising stunt for the likes of Google MSN and Yahoo!

let's just give him the benefit of the doubt and hope the intentions were legit. if not, at least this was a good thread.

Last edited:
hottweelz said:
Actually this thread is an ingenious advertising stunt for the likes of Google MSN and Yahoo!

Would be nice, I can use all the help I can get with Google. I list pretty high in MSN for a couple of keywords, but Google seems to hate me, lol.

Yes, my intentions were good, and did not mean to advertise or make anyone angry. I appologize to all who took it that way!

As referring to some posts on the first page. Everyone has to make money in this world, and people choose different ways to do it.

Last edited:
I'm not "sticking up" for anyone here, but it is a fact of the webhosting industry that there are always people who are looking to put down other hosts. There are always disgruntled customers, people who feel their support ticket wasn't answered fast enough, etc.

But that does kind of hit home there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back