• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Kiddie Hosts, and their oversold resellers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

build-a-host

321Hosted.com
NLC
Being a host myself, I have grown quite tired of all these kiddie hosts poping up one day and then gone the next. This only leaves a bad impression of all webhosts to the consumers, and makes them think that ALL hosts should offer 10gb disc space and 100gb bandwidth for $1 a month!

Lets make a break down here.

A decent server with 80gb disc space and 1000gb bandwidth costs ATLEAST $100 a month, and thats a cheap server with very little resources available. That doesnt include the cost of the billing system, support staff, fraud gate, and any other exspense that adds to the hosts operating costs.

If a host offers 5gb disc space and 100gb bandwidth for $5 a month, they are going to run out of bandwidth after only 10 customers, and only have $50 a month income. Doesnt add up does it! They will also, most likely, have NO support because they are a one man show, and you'll be lucky to get a reply to your support ticket within 48 hours, and when you get the reply it won't help at all because the host has no idea what he is doing! They will also have EXTREMELY overloaded servers that crash repeatedly, and probobaly disappear in a month or so. This is because they are overselling so badly. If all their users actually USE the 100gb bandwidth, they are SUNK!

This is a bad thing for the user, but a good thing for the host, as scam hosts should be banned from the internet all together in my opinion, but thats only in a perfect world!

To all of you in search of web hosting. If you require a reliable host, DO NOT buy from a host that has unrealistic prices such as the 5gb/100gb =$5 a month, it simply ISNT POSSIBLE. If you actually use what you have bought, you will most certainly be suspended by the host, with the excuse that you are sending spam, or some stupid reason!

Before choosing your host:
Send a support ticket, see how long it takes to get a reply and also to see if the host actually knows what he is talking about.
Send pre-sales questions that are specific to your needs.
Ask for an IP to ping to see how fast their connection is.
Ask for proof of uptime.
Ask what they offer if their uptime drops below their supposed "Guarantee"
Go to http://whois.sc and check the hosts IP to see if they are a reseller.

Anyway, I just felt I had to complain about this, because I am tired of getting emails saying " Can you give me 10gb disc space and 100gb bandwidth for $4 a yr?, XXX host ofered this!".

Reliable services arent cheap!

I agree with you, although everyone was a noob one day.... This helps them grow out of it. 3 years ago, i did not know what a virus was, and now, i can do ssh commands, code php, manage a server by myself. It does not matter how many staff they have, it matters if their staff can help you within 24 hours. The longest ever reply to a support request from me was 2 weeks, but my dad died and i had to go on holiday to birmingham to meet my family for a funeral. The longest between then and now is just 15 hours, which is nothing.

There are more than one reason for a lack of reply. Things like that above, serious ones, ones that make yourself feel pointless, are hard to overcome. Infact, this was just 6 months ago, and i only got my long term memory back around 3 weeks ago. That is how hard it was to overcome the pain.

Anyway, back on top.

1. I agree with your issues of kiddy hosts
2. I disagree with the support bit as we all have issues sometimes.

Robert.

Yes, I started out with a reseller and knew NOTHING about what I was doing. It took me ALOT of studying to figure it all out. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Yes, there are circumstances that can slow down support. But, if you actually have a support staff (as I do) then the only way you wouldnt get a reply within an hour from us, is if a bomb hit the building and blew it up!

Sorry to hear about your loss!

EDIT: I posted this in the General forum, not sure how it moved to the paid section. Mods, feel free to move it back if need be.

This kind of thing has been in the hosting business for a while now, aslong as kids can get their hands on "unlimited" resellers, this will always be a problem.

As long as parents continue to not monitor their kids's internet usage, there will be problems.

Pretty sure a mod moved it ;)

my-e-space said:
A decent server with 80gb disc space and 1000gb bandwidth costs ATLEAST $100 a month, and thats a cheap server with very little resources available.
Thats a Celeron :p

A decent server will cost 150-250$ /mo minimum
also let's not forget bandwidth quality.

Yes, thats a cheesy little celeron box with some cheep cognet bandwidth, and only 512mb ram, nothing you would want to run a hosting business on.

I get my servers from Liquidweb.com , and as you can see from the prices there, if I was to offer 5gb/100gb for $5 a month I would be shooting myself in the foot!

I can see how the big guys do it, they have enough revenue to buy more servers and oversell those too. But, the average host couldnt possibly do that!

my-e-space said:
To all of you in search of web hosting. If you require a reliable host, DO NOT buy from a host that has unrealistic prices such as the 5gb/100gb =$5 a month, it simply ISNT POSSIBLE. If you actually use what you have bought, you will most certainly be suspended by the host, with the excuse that you are sending spam, or some stupid reason!

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp

Godaddy is a kiddie host? Many hosts do it and manage quite well. I'm not saying I agree with this type of pricing but you haven't/don't really see the bigger picture. What is a "kiddie host" to you and why are you not one? Because you have "staff" and higher prices?

my-e-space said:
Yes, I started out with a reseller and knew NOTHING about what I was doing. It took me ALOT of studying to figure it all out. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Precisely backs the point I just made, you only see it from the perspective you have experienced in your history.

If you are annoyed about the sales requests you are getting, maybe rethink your ideas and your marketing targets. If you are relying on posting on forums such as FWS to get sales you are bound to only get people wanting the cheapest plans.

Your breakdown too narrow in perspective in your server with 80GB argument and does not stand. This is because, again you miss the whole bigger picture. Obviously running a bedroom host with a dedicated server means you don't see this.

There's nothing wrong with one man shows. I know many established hosts who are one-man-shows with happy clients.

And these "kiddie hosts" whatever it means is no problem. They just come and go. Not all "kiddie hosts" are scam, only very few of even "kiddie hosts" are actually scam. Most "kiddie hosts" are nice kids who thought it'd be cool to be a host. Scam is when a trader/business actually trades with the intention of ripping people.

my-e-space said:
I can see how the big guys do it, they have enough revenue to buy more servers and oversell those too. But, the average host couldnt possibly do that!

As for the bedroom host comment. My servers are housed at Liquidwebs datacenter in Lansing MI. so maybe some kids try that, but WE require quality for our clients!

And anyone that would try and defend the overselling kiddie hosts, must be one themselves!

Last edited:
my-e-space said:
...This only leaves a bad impression of all webhosts to the consumers, and makes them think that ALL hosts should offer 10gb disc space and 100gb bandwidth for $1 a month!

This statement is ONLY true for forums such as FWS and if that is your only source of clients then you have bigger problems.

While I agree with your concern, "kiddie" hosts only appear on forums such as FWS because they are not a registered company and as such can't sell/operate in an actual city or geographic location. They also do not have the budget to purchase real print ads. So if you want to avoid "kiddie hosts" who "ruin your name" and request for such deals as you mentioned, then simply target the bigger market, aka. a geographic location (such as your city) and get print ads and the such.

And James does bring up some very good points.

my-e-space said:
And anyone that would try and defend the overselling kiddie hosts, must be one themselves!

This statement was completely uncalled for. You opened up this discussion and so as such, you should be able to respect both sides of the story and not make childish accusations. James isn't necessarly defending "kiddie" hosts. He is simply bringing up another point of view on this topic.

Last edited:
HostFrog said:
Might as well get used to the kiddie hosting "providers" they are invading the industry.

But only through purely online mediums such as FWS forums and the such (which are easily penetrable by "kiddie" hosts). And FWS forums and the such are not and will never be a sustainable market.

Last edited:
The "defending" comment wasnt aimed at anyone in particular. Sorry if you took it that way.

I opened this topic to voice my opinion, not to have people try and attack me, or accuse me of being a bedroom host! WHich I would say is uncalled for as well.

computerhelpworld, I would think that restricting yourself to a certain geographic location would be worse then anything! While I do agree that the local market is always a good one to work on, I disaggree that you should only target a specific location.

Last edited:
okok, big deal, kiddie hosts, bunch of 12 year olds running a host in their spare time. agreed, its not a healthy thing for kids to be doing with their lifes. but.
this seems simply like a advertisement for your services! please, I hope this is wrong, I really, really hate it when people pull a stunt like this.

Well, I didn't mean "target" one geographic location only. What I meant was that you can generate a lot of business from real newspaper print ads and with those clients you wouldn't have to worry about these "kiddie" hosts.

And for the record, targeting a specific location works wonders :). But wether you are entitled to your opinion.

You are voicing your opinion and James is voicing his.

If not for "kiddie" hosts, the reseller market would essentially be dead...

this seems simply like a advertisement for your services! please, I hope this is wrong, I really, really hate it when people pull a stunt like this.

This does seem like this is what it is. Let me count the plugs for My-E-Space...

6 or so.

Last edited:
How is complaining about kiddie hosts, and telling people different ways to check out a host concidered advertising?

And what "Plugs" are you talking about? You mean my sig?,,lol

Last edited:
Being a host myself
But, if you actually have a support staff (as I do) then the only way you wouldnt get a reply within an hour from us, is if a bomb hit the building and blew it up!
I get my servers from Liquidweb.com
My servers are housed at Liquidwebs datacenter in Lansing MI. so maybe some kids try that, but WE require quality for our clients!

Also other comments. Seems like you are saying "I sure am glad that I'm not one of them. My website never oversells. My host isn't a kiddie host."

Not targeting you as a "kiddie host". Just seems like a legal plug for My-E-Space

Last edited:
my-e-space said:
As for the bedroom host comment. My servers are housed at Liquidwebs datacenter in Lansing MI. so maybe some kids try that, but WE require quality for our clients!

My bedroom comment was actually meaning the running of business from your bedroom not the location of servers, server in bedroom - that would be total ridicule. Nothing wrong with at home businessing (I do it all the time), the bedroom comment would have struck some consciences for sure, those who noticed it but again, nothing wrong with it if you trade/business by the rules/law with good ethics.

My-E-Space, nobody is targeting you, we all heard this rant about kiddie hosts before, that is all. You just got a bit excited you found out what these "kiddie hosts" are and wanted to tell the world about it. We're glad you are past that point of understanding as a web host :classic2:

I still would be curious for you to define "Kiddie hosts". I fail to come up with an exact, intelligent, fair description

I say...... Goodluck to them all.

To tell you the truth, I dont care about them anymore, it isnt going to stop so why keep moaning about it.

The OP is acting more like a kid than the host that is run by the kid :wink2:

Goodluck to all host that are run by young people :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back