• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Kiddie Hosts, and their oversold resellers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i'm giving my review here:

about a week ago, i set a reseller up on one of my VPS servers, this reseller was for: 10GB Diskspace, 100GB Bandwidth.

Guess what? I checked the account yesterday and found that there was 19 1GB diskspace and 10 GB bandwidth accounts on it.

Hold on a min... This means that he has already nearly gone over twice as much as he should, and with him coming up to 75% bandwidth usage it's a little worrying. I emailed him yesterday and he replyed with something about he cant afford to give any more money as he is not even making enought to cover the costs of the reseller.

WTF?

I sold the reseller to him for $13.65/month and if he has not made enought to cover the costs he must be selling for under $1 for 1 GB Disk and 10 GB Band

After further inspection on his site, i found him to be selling these accounts for $0.50/month if you order 6+ months in advance.

Today, his account reached 100% bandwidth usage, and i terminated it. Guess what? I have got 32 "hatefull" emails for his customers asking why there hosting was canceled saying they payed $3 (some even $6) for hosting (for 6 and 12 months!) they asked for refunds, telling me they would hack my server if i didant give them it...

I'm pissed at these kiddy hosts... they oversell WAY too much and then disapear!

Hosting-Shack,

He could allocate 19 of those because overselling is allowed, correct? If so you shouldn't be surprised at the allocations. Many reseller accounts allocated more that their usage limits..

Is that your policy? To terminate accounts once it reaches 100 percent bandwidth? A potential client would be too scared to purchase plans from you.

James said:
Hosting-Shack,

He could allocate 19 of those because overselling is allowed, correct? If so you shouldn't be surprised at the allocations. Many reseller accounts allocated more that their usage limits..

Is that your policy? To terminate accounts once it reaches 100 percent bandwidth? A potential client would be too scared to purchase plans from you.

In the case that we could not contact the host, and he was further not willing to pay any extra... he was using over 20GB/day meaning after 5 more days he would be over his limit by twice as much. (and he had only been hosted for 9 days!)

We normaly allow users to go 25% above on bandwidth, but his account was terminated because of the content (files) went against our TOS as well as the bandwidth.

Last edited:
Hosting shack to be frank ur not doing ur buisness properly. Any account that gets setup by your reseller has to be inspected ASAP (not a week later) when its up to keep ur server clean. Cause i remember a guy signed up for reseller on my hosting and next day he had 2 1 gb accounts on it already. I said i will terminate his account if he doesnt make packages smaller in size ( oh note he was on 150mb plan only :) ). Well he read the mail but decided instead to make another 1 gb account on it. And i just terminated his account and asked if he would like refund, he said yes i want refund plus the paypal fee that got charged, and i was like wtf is with kids. So hosting shack if ur doing buiness the right way you wouldnt be getting such threathing emails cause its your duty to put tos into action as soon as you see troublesome account.

I get P4 2.4gHz at The Planet with Yipes or HE bandwidth for $120 with cPanel, at a very stable provider. So if you know where to look, and who to trust, you can find the good servers.

a1whs.com said:
Hosting shack to be frank ur not doing ur buisness properly. Any account that gets setup by your reseller has to be inspected ASAP (not a week later) when its up to keep ur server clean. Cause i remember a guy signed up for reseller on my hosting and next day he had 2 1 gb accounts on it already. I said i will terminate his account if he doesnt make packages smaller in size ( oh note he was on 150mb plan only :) ). Well he read the mail but decided instead to make another 1 gb account on it. And i just terminated his account and asked if he would like refund, he said yes i want refund plus the paypal fee that got charged, and i was like wtf is with kids. So hosting shack if ur doing buiness the right way you wouldnt be getting such threathing emails cause its your duty to put tos into action as soon as you see troublesome account.

Im not going to explain why, but don't pass judgements when you dont know the full story :p It gets a bit more complicated than you explain it. My way of doing things is my way. Maybey i don't like some of the things other hosts do on this site? But do i question them? Nope! Everyone to their own!

The simple solution to prevent overselling on resellers is to simply not allow overselling through WHM. I really hope I'm not playing tricks on myself and there is such an option in WHM.

well i'm a "kiddie host" and i've gotta say that not all of 'em are that bad.

sry if you guys have posted whatever up there, i'm in kind of a rush and dont have time to read all the posts ><

but some kiddie hosts have good resellers and offer good hosting and plans. its just there's a handful of 'em that suck at it and should stop trying.

just my 2 cents

Of course you're going to say that.

Kiddie host == "No Good"

It hurts their clients, it hurts them, it hurts their friends and family, etc. Just not a good situation

Hosting providers that can not supply the support demand, the advertisement that a company obviously needs to succeed, etc are ruining the industry as a whole, that is why there are few very BIG providers in the market now. Free hosting solutions are more appealing to consumers just for the fact that if they are going to get crappy service and support, why not get it without spending a dime.

this is one of the best reasons to use this http://freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2159381

also you can disable overselling yes, I have mixed feelings on this, I still allow resellers to oversell. Also on our reseller plans we limit the number of accounts the client can create depending on the plan level. I am not going to lie I don't have alot of resellers but the ones I do have I know are going to hang out for quite sometime and are going to be very pleased with the service they receive, and when it is time for them to go dedicated I know who they are going to buy from

hosting-shack said:
Ok, i'm giving my review here:

about a week ago, i set a reseller up on one of my VPS servers, this reseller was for: 10GB Diskspace, 100GB Bandwidth.

Guess what? I checked the account yesterday and found that there was 19 1GB diskspace and 10 GB bandwidth accounts on it.

Hold on a min... This means that he has already nearly gone over twice as much as he should, and with him coming up to 75% bandwidth usage it's a little worrying. I emailed him yesterday and he replyed with something about he cant afford to give any more money as he is not even making enought to cover the costs of the reseller.

WTF?

I sold the reseller to him for $13.65/month and if he has not made enought to cover the costs he must be selling for under $1 for 1 GB Disk and 10 GB Band

After further inspection on his site, i found him to be selling these accounts for $0.50/month if you order 6+ months in advance.

Today, his account reached 100% bandwidth usage, and i terminated it. Guess what? I have got 32 "hatefull" emails for his customers asking why there hosting was canceled saying they payed $3 (some even $6) for hosting (for 6 and 12 months!) they asked for refunds, telling me they would hack my server if i didant give them it...

I'm pissed at these kiddy hosts... they oversell WAY too much and then disapear!

I phone verify any reseller orders and ask for the person who the account was ordered in. If they sound younger than 17, I disable overselling.

I just wanted to set the record straight on one thing. Not all reseller hosts are bad. I have a few that are good hosts, they just dont have the money to buy a dedicated server now. At one point I started with a reseller, then I got a p4 server, and now I have have a couple dual xeons I use for hosting. Everyone has to start somewhere, and as long as they have a good business plan and good ethics they will go along way. They cant afford their own servers yet, but then most of us cant sfford our own data centers. You start with what you can afford and maybe someday you will be able to have your own server, or even your own data center. That said many hosts, and alot of them are owned by kids, dont have a good business plan and arent good hosts. I dont think they are doing anyone any favors, but they wont be around long and their customers will be looking for a reliable service. Thats where the good hosts can cfind their best customers that will appreciate and pay for the service.

I agree. Resellers are not inherently bad. But they do have a bad reputation as of late.

I think everyone started out with a reseller, and then moved to a VPS, then maybe a SDS, then a DS.

Google started with one algorithm.

Galaxy-Hosts.com said:
I just wanted to set the record straight on one thing. Not all reseller hosts are bad.
Your right not all are bad. However, most consumers who know anything about scalability would much rather go directly to the source.
I have a few that are good hosts, they just dont have the money to buy a dedicated server now.
Individuals looking to get into the hosting industry should start off with a reseller anyway. Alway crawl before you walk, this way you build up customer base, and at a rate which you can handle. Honestly if you don't have money to purchase a dedicated server though, they are in the wrong industry. To make money you need to spend, and if they don't have the money to spend for a dedicated box, then how will they advertise to their target markets?
They cant afford their own servers yet, but then most of us cant sfford our own data centers.
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Running a datacenter, and managing a dedicated server are two different things, in two different price brackets. Your comparing a solution that costs in upwords of $200-300 per month against running a dc which can cost close to 100K each month.
You start with what you can afford and maybe someday you will be able to have your own server, or even your own data center.
If you don't have money to spend, then you will not make any. You need to advertise, promote, pay bills, etc. If you start with no money, you will end with no money....very simple.
That said many hosts, and alot of them are owned by kids, dont have a good business plan and arent good hosts.
Agree 100%

Didn't mean to break your post down to size, but just had to say that.

Just wanted to rant about this:

Advertisements are SOOOO expensive! We spend approx. 350 CAD/month for a print ad in a computer magazine and another tech magazine, both local. And then like another 100 CAD/month on online ads.

SO EXPENSIVE FOR ADVERTISEMENT and so hard to penetrate the market.

Okay, sorry. I just had to say that heh.

Last edited:
utcrazy said:
I get P4 2.4gHz at The Planet with Yipes or HE bandwidth for $120 with cPanel, at a very stable provider. So if you know where to look, and who to trust, you can find the good servers.
Jose?

10 now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back