• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FWS Meet-Up

Will you be attending the first ever FWS Meet-up in London?

• Total voters
How about we all just just go to MacWorld or the next WWDC (not Tomorrow's Keynote, the July one) :lol:

Nah I'm still up for Manchester, or even in Birmingham/London, Damn I'll even help organize it!
MSN me when you can :)

Hey all,

Okay, here's the crack for MANCHESTER:

For a 1/2 day we'd have a private conference room with buffet and seating available. This part of the day would come at a cost of £30.00 per head which includes the £195 room hire and £17 per head for the buffet.

I will work out a day of fun in an agenda depending on numbers. The above pricing of £30/head for buffet relies of 15 people attending. If we do not attain 15 people, we will either up the price of abandon that part of the day.

The main part of the day would be in the evening with the sit down meal at £20.00 per head (min 5 people) for a 3 course meal in the hotel.

The dates in mind are 8th May (no rooms available in the hotel that night if people wish to stay) or 15th May (rooms are £115/night for B&B).

Please do have input and let's do this and get some numbers, thanks.

I think if this was in June or July, it might be easier for a lot of us. But either way I'm more than willing to go, and stop the night, saves traveling back that evening. Would it be worth finding out if the venue has WiFi etc? It could also be turned into a Tweet-up as well, and also give us opportunity on if, another FWS meet-up is taking place in say America at the same time, we could Skype over to each other and conference both sides easily.

Also, would anyone want this documented? If so, who'd want to record it onto video, say in 720p or even 1080p HD, edited there on the day, or even photographed? I'd happily photograph the event if you like, and video it.

I think if this was in June or July, it might be easier for a lot of us. But either way I'm more than willing to go, and stop the night, saves traveling back that evening. Would it be worth finding out if the venue has WiFi etc? It could also be turned into a Tweet-up as well, and also give us opportunity on if, another FWS meet-up is taking place in say America at the same time, we could Skype over to each other and conference both sides easily.

Also, would anyone want this documented? If so, who'd want to record it onto video, say in 720p or even 1080p HD, edited there on the day, or even photographed? I'd happily photograph the event if you like, and video it.
Ramada Jarvis hotels have free WiFi :)

The dates in mind are 8th May (no rooms available in the hotel that night if people wish to stay) or 15th May (rooms are £115/night for B&B).

Thats a little expensive, im sure you can get B&B`s for a 3rd of that price! I went watching the Prodigy in Bridlington last week, we got a 4 star B&B for £31 pppn

Thats a little expensive, im sure you can get B&B`s for a 3rd of that price! I went watching the Prodigy in Bridlington last week, we got a 4 star B&B for £31 pppn
That's for rooms IN the hotel - it's a BIG hotel RIGHT in the middle of Manchester. I can work up some accommodation at my place for a few people (if you don't mind inflatable beds). Bridlington HAS B&B's, proper housey ones, Manchester has few :)

London would be better for everyone considering it's got better connections to other major places... Manchester is a long way out if you’re not flying into the Manchester city airport, and as I’m sure 90% of you are unaware (including you Jason... :p) Manchester does not have the best connections for international flights, which means most people from the US will have to land in London, and connect onto Manchester.

Flights to/from Manchester to/from USA are also a fair amount more than flights to/from London Gatwick for example.

Accommodation in London is easy; you can secure a hostel room for only £14/night ($22), or a guest house room for only £30/night ($45). Flights to London Gatwick can use the train to London from the Airport, a return ticket for only £28.70 ($40). There is more to see in London, London is more tourist friendly.

Flights from the US (return);
- 3 day stay, Friday leaving on Monday

Orlando (FL): $817
Charlotte (NC): $815

Flights from Orlando and Charlotte airports going to Manchester stop in Dublin, London Gatwick, or London Heathrow airports first. Proving my point ;) Manchester is not a good International Airport :p

--

So yeah, Manchester is not the choice for international guests, due to it's semi-non-international airport.

Richard has a point y'know. London would be easier, even Birmingham would be as well, it has an international airport, great links with both London & Manchester, and is closer for me :p

Richard has a point y'know. London would be easier, even Birmingham would be as well, it has an international airport, great links with both London & Manchester, and is closer for me :p

But even people from England don't want to go to Birmingham, you can't expect other people to want to. lol

We don't expect any visitors from the US. So far I'm the only one outside the UK who has shown an interest. And I can fly directly to Manchester from Stockholm. No problem for me.

But yeah, the city where most people can go wins. It's a toss up at the moment, maybe leaning towards London again. I got a pm recently from someone interested in attending who hasn't voted, but only if it's in London.

We don't expect any visitors from the US. So far I'm the only one outside the UK who has shown an interest. And I can fly directly to Manchester from Stockholm. No problem for me.

But yeah, the city where most people can go wins. It's a toss up at the moment, maybe leaning towards London again. I got a pm recently from someone interested in attending who hasn't voted, but only if it's in London.

I too can/will only attend in London, I don't like manchester on the best of days, but it's too far away from me, it means I have to travel though London to get to Manchester, and its the same story for most people in the UK

I too can/will only attend in London, I don't like manchester on the best of days, but it's too far away from me, it means I have to travel though London to get to Manchester, and its the same story for most people in the UK
Manchester to yankland has direct flights, I have flown there :)

Richard, I'd personally pay for you to come dear :D

Manchester to yankland has direct flights, I have flown there :)

Richard, I'd personally pay for you to come dear :D

Yankland is a very big place, it has a few more airports than the UK.. Manchester has a few direct flights, but they are only to a few destinations and are very few and far between.

Maybe you guys could also hold a webinar session while the meeting takes place? That way at least people who couldn't attend due to money conflicts (me) will be able to interact. :)

Back