• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Who needs WHT? Not Us!

I personally feel (my opinion, folks, don't shoot me for it) that far too much emphasis is placed on seniority and number of posts in terms of a reputation stature here.
I would have to agree with you there, they tend to take the word of a 2 week/month "established" host than believe anything a new member says :S But that is much the same at any forum unfortunately.

Well, it does depend on how new the user is. If he/she posted around 10 posts (no offence meant The Bear), it's kind of hard to believe what he/she is saying just because they haven't built up the trust yet.

Now, if you were able to prove yourself and/or your (good) reputation, that would be a different story. I'm sure this is the same on all forums for a reason. There are too many 1-post scams, but then again, the same could be said for the exact opposite, taking the time to build a trust... But most con men are lazy :p.

[DWH]Yuxuan;1004011 said:
Well, it does depend on how new the user is. If he/she posted around 10 posts (no offence meant The Bear), it's kind of hard to believe what he/she is saying just because they haven't built up the trust yet.

Now, if you were able to prove yourself and/or your (good) reputation, that would be a different story. I'm sure this is the same on all forums for a reason. There are too many 1-post scams, but then again, the same could be said for the exact opposite, taking the time to build a trust... But most con men are lazy :p.

You could have that backwards, all the trust builds up and then they scam you, seems to be more common these days too, pitty.

Just remember that you too once made your first post here. I guarantee that countless have left, never to return due to some of the harshness received by new members from slightly more established ones.

Just remember that you too once made your first post here. I guarantee that countless have left, never to return due to some of the harshness received by new members from slightly more established ones.

Sorry you have me confused, are you saying new members drive old members away or the other way around, or am I just lost?:eek3:

[x10]Brandon;1004023 said:
You could have that backwards, all the trust builds up and then they scam you, seems to be more common these days too, pitty.

That was taken into the account in my comment.

Of course I remember my first post here, it was not too long ago. And to tell you the truth, I did find the people here a little harsh at first. But you (I) get used to it.

Anyways, I usually try to treat new and old members alike with the same attitude, on every forum.. Just like how I treat people IRL. However, there is still the matter of human nature. We will remain skeptical unless proven otherwise (in this case, trustworthy).

Indeed, this has made me realize I could always be nicer to newer members. I always hate joining a new forum, and being treated poorly just because I am new. So I will try harder to be nicer! :D

Like I said somewhere else (I forget where, I'm blaming this on old age, hahaha), just because someone is new to the site does not mean that they're new to the industry. Too often, the newbies get dumped on, until they prove their "stature" or gain "reputation". I can understand concerns regarding some newbies, especially with those that have nothing better to do than to raise hell or cause problems. You should, however, give everyone an equal chance to prove their stupidity or worth, rather than just assume that they are blatant idiots.

For the record, I've been in this industry for nearly a decade, and have busted my back on several places to ensure that I have a solid reputation. I have a plethora of knowledge and I don't mind sharing it. Sometimes I do come off a bit strong, and I just chalk that up to the many years of cynicism that I've endured.

Anyways, for those that didn't dump on me (and other newbies), thank you. For those that did, c'est la vie. It's nice that you showed your colors straight off the bat. ;)

TSO said:
Indeed, this has made me realize I could always be nicer to newer members. I always hate joining a new forum, and being treated poorly just because I am new. So I will try harder to be nicer!
Pish Posh! Nicer to newer members, that takes effort! :p

You get some amount of hazing or another when joining any group - you set out your personality and make your impression to a group with how you deal with it. Groups of people that are instantly welcoming to new people as if they'd been a group member the whole time and already have the full trust of the group are creepy, and are usually cults :p

Why, do I seem oddly welcoming to you? If so, Paypal me $600 and I'll show you how to change your life for the better!

I have a WHT account, while its a good read sometimes when looking for information, the atmosphere there is cold and the community seems rude, especially to newbies.
But its possibly just because its a generally larger community and harder to "get to know" people, and the forum itself is terribly unorganised. Theres way too many sections and catagories.
Also, the premium memberships seem to create a them Vs us attitude in some people.

FWS on the other hand is generally a more friendly place. Sure theres some dumbasses around, and we all have our 15 mins of stupidity at some stage involving an outburst or rant. But no1 seems to take things to heart and everyone is generally relaxed.
Thats the attitude i love in people weather it be IRL or online.

In closing: FWS FTW!!

Back