• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Question: Did he also hack my FWS account?
It would appear so, although I wouldn't exactly say it was hacked. More likely you used the same password for your hosting as your FWS account. I hope you have changed that now!
Wow, my backup did not include that latest post. Did anybody by any chance save that article I wrote?
If you posted it, it would be there. Your backups have nothing to do with posts here. It could be you "lost" your account as you were hitting the submit button?

Jan could the current discussion be split out of this thread? Although it is slightly related in that we are continuing to test the durability of volunteer hosts, I think that the recent actions have been going a little overboard as seen by this turn of events.

Also, Tao should probably consider having this thread moved to free hosting discussion at some point since we really aren't requiring that many new applicants, but continue to regularly discuss the ins and outs of web hosting as the statistics are gathered.

Jan could the current discussion be split out of this thread? Although it is slightly related in that we are continuing to test the durability of volunteer hosts, I think that the recent actions have been going a little overboard as seen by this turn of events.

Also, Tao should probably consider having this thread moved to free hosting discussion at some point since we really aren't requiring that many new applicants, but continue to regularly discuss the ins and outs of web hosting as the statistics are gathered.

Not sure what I think of all that. One of the secondary reasons this thread developed is that it was all well and good to see the ad side of things, but then the problem side vanishes away. Presuming that it was indeed Flyhosts doing that, that's enough for me to remove him from my board in the "other reasons" category. And while it's never nice, it's also disturbing that Swagbay (HostMyThing) was hacked at all. This thread is becoming a little of a raw blend, but I think as a couple have kindly pointed out to me, I'm creating something new here.

On the other side, supposing that the perfect mix is "two tiers of four", I'm down one slot and maybe two if I lose HMT altogether. L2P is starting to catch my eye for being on the same Fast Track that Deeplist rode.

It's pretty obvious who did it. Would be a huge coincidence for it to be somebody else. These guys will gradually put themselves out of business. No biggie.

You don't have to be a hacker to hijack somebody's mail account if it's hosted on your server... or even take a look into it and accept lost password change requests.

Remember that Risto3 have a thread that ncashoting.com terminated his account?
I think that somehow have to do with Flyhosts.net
:)

If you posted it, it would be there. Your backups have nothing to do with posts here. It could be you "lost" your account as you were hitting the submit button?

I meant the article on theswagbay.org. It was too big to post here, so I posted it on one of my dead websites. No matter, I will re-write it, and post it here!

Now Tao, it wasn't the server Ryan hacked, it was theswagbay.org's Cpanel. (my fault, used the same password over at flyhosts...I don't know what I was thinking!)
Your account was never down during all of this. In a matter of fact, Superpedia was in its finial stages of "sql dumping". (70 GBs are done!!! Take a look in phpmyadmin...)

Well, I have nothing else to say except it's 5 o'clock somewhere! (possible quote of the day?)

Well, this was an adventure! I enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I didn't save the article. Just went and looked at it on the website. Looking forward to the rewrite. :D

I meant the article on theswagbay.org. It was too big to post here, so I posted it on one of my dead websites. No matter, I will re-write it, and post it here!

Now Tao, it wasn't the server Ryan hacked, it was theswagbay.org's Cpanel. (my fault, used the same password over at flyhosts...I don't know what I was thinking!)
Your account was never down during all of this. In a matter of fact, Superpedia was in its finial stages of "sql dumping". (70 GBs are done!!! Take a look in phpmyadmin...)

Well, I have nothing else to say except it's 5 o'clock somewhere! (possible quote of the day?)

Well, this was an adventure! I enjoyed it.

Did we lose all that progress?

Also, Google's getting fast, did they index the article in a cache?

Did we lose all that progress?

Also, Google's getting fast, did they index the article in a cache?

Already tried it on the article and on the FWS posts that resulted.

Neither one were captured, they probably weren't up long enough.

Google is only quick on sites that see a lot of regular traffic, and neither one meets that requirement anymore.

Correct. For whatever reason, I "changed" my name to "Ryan" for this study. I did not realize Flyhost's owner's name was also Ryan! (what are the odds of that?!!) I will add that to the article, to avoid confusion. It is, like I mentioned, just an unedited draft of an article.

Correct. For whatever reason, I "changed" my name to "Ryan" for this study. I did not realize Flyhost's owner's name was also Ryan! (what are the odds of that?!!) I will add that to the article, to avoid confusion. It is, like I mentioned, just an unedited draft of an article.

Naw, that's a little disturbing because you knew quite well that his name was Ryan, so why change your name, and why to that?

My bad, you did tell me once in a post his name was Ryan...in that case, call it a careless error. My brother's name is Ryan, and he agreed to allow me to use his name for this purpose.
If I do any future "adventures", I will use different names! :p

EDIT: Looking back, you mentioned his name a few times...make me feel somewhat stupid...but oh well!

Last edited:
My bad, you did tell me once in a post his name was Ryan...in that case, call it a careless error. My brother's name is Ryan, and he agreed to allow me to use his name for this purpose.
If I do any future "adventures", I will use different names! :p

EDIT: Looking back, you mentioned his name a few times...make me feel somewhat stupid...but oh well!

Sigmund Freud Likes this mistake! :)

1500'th post!

Scott, LP-Trel was lookin' for ya, did you guys ever get in touch? Any news on the Wiki?

Board is pretty much the same except I need to take Flyhost off the recommend board, though I'll keep my account because I want to do a Creative Commons music site and I need the space, so that will be my counter-test to Scott's with "legit use" (real songs, not just a batch data download).

Back