• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

(So was Deeplist a nice help installing stuff?) : )

I made myself available and explained the situation. He never contacted me past that point.

35ba89v.jpg

Ok, the 32 GB dump is about half way done. We are coming closer and closer to finishing the task of creating an alternate Wikipedia! The reason you don't see the dump yet on superpedia is because I have yet to add the prefix mw_ to the tables that were dumped. For now, You will be able to view the dump's progress via PHPmyadmin in Cpanel.

Hallo Scott.

Do you have an ETA?

This is a rough estimate, as the work is being done by another individual. The large dump has just a little longer, about 8 hours. There are also 4 other smaller dumps (all less than 3 GB) that have yet to be dumped. I have no doubt the work will be done in just a few more days, but, like I said, I am at the mercy of my contractor.
When Zach (the contractor) emails me about the completion of the work, I will post a note here.
Scott

This is a rough estimate, as the work is being done by another individual. The large dump has just a little longer, about 8 hours. There are also 4 other smaller dumps (all less than 3 GB) that have yet to be dumped. I have no doubt the work will be done in just a few more days, but, like I said, I am at the mercy of my contractor.
When Zach (the contractor) emails me about the completion of the work, I will post a note here.
Scott

I'm a little lost, so I hope I am picking my words carefully. Can I get a couple opinions from the Gang on how hard my request was?

Scott, I gotta give you one black jellybean, clients need to know with a little more directness when a request hits your limits of ability, whatever they are. I'm a humanities type not a techie, so I dunno' if it's like calling Everest a "little rock". Your opening ad was roughly "looking for high end clients wanting database-related sites." So I asked for a vanilla copy of Wikipedia and sunk you for a month. :(

Meanwhile, the other account with enough HD space (maybe!) is Flyhosting, and I haven't received a reply of any kind from Ryan/Risto for a week to know if he can even do it either.

So I am rather sad!

Last edited:
Rather disappointing indeed. I would say the worst part about it is it seems like you're only getting half-truths, if any sort of truth at all. Most of the replies don't really make sense I'd say. At least tell the person what's really going on, and then even though their site is still down they don't start questioning your trustworthiness as well. Sorry to see all this Tao. I would offer to host your project but honestly we don't have the space like that for one individual right now. What is your quota supposed to be, 35gb or something?

I'm a little lost, so I hope I am picking my words carefully. Can I get a couple opinions from the Gang on how hard my request was?

It's a weird request for sure. Generally speaking, I can't imagine there being a lot of hosts out there who would actually help you with this. I wouldn't think any free host would. My techs. on the paid side don't do any 3rd party script installation (they will help as much as they can), and would not touch something like this with a 10 ft. pole, unless I asked them to, for a client.

That said, it shouldn't take a month. The main database dump should take anywhere from about 4-12 hours depending on the server, with the smaller ones obviously taking less time to do. If I had to do this for a client, I would say 24 hours or so to play it safe.

Rather disappointing indeed. I would say the worst part about it is it seems like you're only getting half-truths, if any sort of truth at all. Most of the replies don't really make sense I'd say. At least tell the person what's really going on, and then even though their site is still down they don't start questioning your trustworthiness as well. Sorry to see all this Tao. I would offer to host your project but honestly we don't have the space like that for one individual right now. What is your quota supposed to be, 35gb or something?

Something. I made sure to separate this part from my official board, so that you have seen a couple of my general remarks on his performance with it, but my study copy page has mostly been up since he did his hardware overhaul.

Last edited:
It's a weird request for sure. Generally speaking, I can't imagine there being a lot of hosts out there who would actually help you with this. I wouldn't think any free host would. My techs. on the paid side don't do any 3rd party script installation (they will help as much as they can), and would not touch something like this with a 10 ft. pole, unless I asked them to, for a client.

That said, it shouldn't take a month. The main database dump should take anywhere from about 4-12 hours depending on the server, with the smaller ones obviously taking less time to do. If I had to do this for a client, I would say 24 hours or so to play it safe.

Thanks for the note. An absolutely crucial part of the storyline was his original ad, "We will host any databased app". So he was marketing his competitive edge as a high end host, and he *simultaneously* walked into the "Oversell" theme. So I said, "Okay!". I did him the courtesy of not making up a BS request, it's a fair project on its own level.

Thanks for the note. An absolutely crucial part of the storyline was his original ad, "We will host any databased app". So he was marketing his competitive edge as a high end host, and he *simultaneously* walked into the "Oversell" theme. So I said, "Okay!". I did him the courtesy of not making up a BS request, it's a fair project on its own level.

Oh no, absolutely. If a host is going to say that they'll host any app, provide support installing it, etc., by all means hold them to that. Absolutely no reason this should take more than a day.

Oh no, absolutely. If a host is going to say that they'll host any app, provide support installing it, etc., by all means hold them to that. Absolutely no reason this should take more than a day.

Since I sorta specialize in new hosts, I gave him a lot of room, because after the first Day/Week it became clear that he had sold himself into a panicky corner. Sometimes knowledge has "hard" limits on just what your skills work at and where they cut off, and he bumped into one of his. When that happens, strange things start to happen if there is a "timer running".

So as I am trying to spin this, my unusual request is a dead heat for his early mistakes building a company, in line with my "Flagship" style of working a little to develop a couple of the hosts I have studied. I presume he's looking over the shoulders of the install guy during all this, so whenever he gets through it he has a chance at being a real company. But yea, he was at risk at becoming an Infamous 3-Reds type, so I called the Swag Bluff to bring him back from the Dark Side : )

That's why I went for it at all - not counting this particular event, it's a brilliant new innovation in hosting the likes of which I haven't seen in five years. I have between 20% and 30% tech skills, I'm good at "PC User Helpdesk" stuff, but my skills drop off the North Face of Everest the second the topic becomes remotes and servers and panels oh my. So take a host bridging the gap with end user services, that's a Killer App in Upsell Services for our usual topics of "how do you make money hosting."

To his credit, he had a couple smaller apps up in good order, so "attention only flows to the trouble spot". If he hadn't ... swagged ... (Sorry Scott, I'm on a roll here at 5AM, you have the only Hofstedterian Self-Descriptive screen name that described the flaw that happened!) I would have gone with the smaller apps and this would have been an Upsell Service.

But if I had, "Things being what they are", I would have been FURIOUS at the delay on the *Paid* side! So I created an entirely new educational category all for him so that he is getting his big shock now, and get it over with, so that his company overall stands to do better.

Flyhosting

At least I got part of what I wanted, in that the Wiki copy is more than "just load up an exe and click go". I knew that, but maybe that changes my plans. I had my eyes open and I snagged an equally ... uh... big ... account from Flyhosting.

The Gallery has some fair theories on whether it's oversold, but my sense of honor means I don't just want to fire empty packets/rubbishdata as a test. I 'take hosts at their word even if I am doubtful". So I am guessing that he won't install my second copy of Wiki. He's not around here much for service so I am mostly on my own.

I might do a Data Dump in the Cloud.

The Gallery has some fair theories on whether it's oversold, but my sense of honor means I don't just want to fire empty packets/rubbishdata as a test. I 'take hosts at their word even if I am doubtful".

He uses the same datacenter I use for my main sites. Their bandwidth is not cheap by any means. I can 100% guarantee it's oversold. If he let every client use 5TB of bandwidth, he would be paying thousands of dollars per month.

Hmmmmm...I might have to sign up for his $11 plan and pull those 5TB of bandwidth just to make a point. Would probably shut his server down. Poor guy. The $4/mo. "unmetered" shared hosting plan is of great interest to me too. :D

He uses the same datacenter I use for my main sites. Their bandwidth is not cheap by any means. I can 100% guarantee it's oversold. If he let every client use 5TB of bandwidth, he would be paying thousands of dollars per month.

Hmmmmm...I might have to sign up for his $11 plan and pull those 5TB of bandwidth just to make a point. Would probably shut his server down. Poor guy. The $4/mo. "unmetered" shared hosting plan is of great interest to me too. :D

Yeah, but I go with an outlaw character from O. Henry's philosophy, "If you're gonna stick it to the man, do it with style." I just found a better idea than a data dump - a (legit) Free Music Site. I know about the Copyright disaster, so each song posted would be documented as safe to share. It only takes 100 users pulling down 5 songs each per day for a month (or whatever the math is) to hit the cap : )

Potential New Client - Lamba

I just got a note for a recommendation from a friendly new fellow called Lamba, looking to try one of the hosts. I suggested Decker, Seraphim, and L2p.net.

I also invited him to play in the thread!

Yeah, but I go with an outlaw character from O. Henry's philosophy, "If you're gonna stick it to the man, do it with style." I just found a better idea than a data dump - a (legit) Free Music Site. I know about the Copyright disaster, so each song posted would be documented as safe to share. It only takes 100 users pulling down 5 songs each per day for a month (or whatever the math is) to hit the cap : )

ROFL!! Some of these hosts still ban file storage and file sharing sites in their AUP. I take a mess of 14MP images, link them to a simple HTML gallery (takes care of the file storage, and the CPU/load issue clauses) and away I go.

Back