• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Here is my tracert
Does this help?
------------------
>tracert l4rge.com

Tracing route to l4rge.com [69.72.216.36]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms dslrouter.westell.com [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms 10.9.101.1
3 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms P4-1.BSTNMA-LCR-05.verizon-gni.net [130.81.44.144]
4 11 ms 12 ms 12 ms so-7-2-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.29.172]
5 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms 0.so-0-2-0.XL3.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.16.137]
6 22 ms 19 ms 19 ms 0.so-6-0-0.XL3.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.16.221]
7 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms GigabitEthernet4-0-0.GW1.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.20.97]
8 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net [157.130.60.14]
9 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms nyk-bb2-link.telia.net [80.91.248.161]
10 20 ms 48 ms 21 ms nyk-b2-link.telia.net [80.91.247.200]
11 24 ms 21 ms 21 ms fortress-120799-nyk-b2.c.telia.net [213.248.83.106]
12 21 ms 20 ms 21 ms 208.116.63.109
13 * * * Request timed out.

Hm, that's strange. I'm using Pingdom to monitor our server from multiple locations and the site is reachable for them.

I haven't faced any issues as well but it could be the firewall acting up. I'll investigate further into this if this happens again for you.

It still is ...
I got a couple of page loads before it vanished, which felt odd.

P.S. It was hard to tell, but my login you sent me on PM didn't seem to be working either.

Flushing the cache wasn't enough. It apparently took a full router reboot!

Apparently my login and password don't yet work right.

Now my next clue is, check if your anti-DDOS measures are too aggressive, because it might be blocking my ip based on like 6 bad attempts.

PM me with the username and password you're trying to login with - and I presume this for cPanel ? I've had others using our service without any such issues.

Review of survey assumptions.

Well, after some setup adventures, I'm making progress on l4rge.com.

However, a study note in case y'all haven't read my growing Tolstoyesque volume of comments.

To participate in this study, hosts need to grant me a manager's coupon standardizing some basic stats. This is essential to keep the focus on durability and away from individual teams' policy decisions, which are subjective and can change at any time.

Amaresh, you seem to have a model of getting revenue from a fairly aggressive series of coupon offers, which apparently require full name and postal address to be sent to marketing companies. With my "unattached customer" hat, I would not choose to accept service under those terms.

For the study, I need you to turn off any ad engines and activity counters. Put in revenue terms, the study is a syngergistic 3rd party rating service which promotes hosts for proving longevity and stability, plus a minor-exposure linkback. That "rating" is the counterweight to bypassing the "random customer" requirements.

Please chime in if this is okay with you.

--Tao

All quiet on the Study Front. Sept 1 is the next duration marker.

The early round 3 entries are looking strong. Just what I was hoping! : )

Grand.

Basically, by Labor Day, the current Round 3 entrants will be reaching the 6-month mark, a far better result than the earlier rounds. A couple of new entrants just joined in a new Round 4. (Heh I broke down and admitted it. I needed to give the prior round crew credit. I'd forgotten how well they've held up.)

As for the page, I've lately been dabbling with a Wide design. All at my usual glacial pace.

Sure!
At any time people can look at the current board. Here's one from Amaresh's host. (I'm missing the articles from this host, and I haven't BackSynched yet either.)

http://taophoenix.l4rge.com/ReVisionWide.html

The list is in roughly what I thought would be order of traffic absorption ability.

Word has gotten around that a Today's Client Count mentality won't do so well, so y'all from round 3 are doing really great. I'm just about to get around to doing more work on the actual pages in the medium-future.

Last edited:
This showed up on another thread.

IsMyWebsite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie144 View Post
Hey all,

has anyone used there servers and have an invite code for me?

Thanks
~Eddie
Hi Eddie.

It turns out that I can report that IsMyWebsite is among the two winners of my host durability study! Here is my IsMyWebsite copy of my leisurely-developed test site I deploy for my site study over in that gangly thread.

http://taophoenix.ismywebsite.com/ReVisionWide.html

(This is not updated yet for the brand new Round 4 hosts I just added.)

A key part of my study design was to test *site longevity* and downtime-reporting. I explicitly chose not to get involved with "managerial decisions" for reasons just like your post. I appreciate the FYI because I hadn't noticed that IsMyWebsite went to an Invite system. And so, at this time, I don't have any codes to offer! I'll have to talk to them and ask how they want new clients vetted before they are admitted to the IsMyWebsite system.

I'm not sure how you settled on them; my next suggestion is to look at the host bars at the top of that page. They are all the currently succeeding entrants in my host stability study. Post a note in my big thread asking to see who wants to host you.

--Tao

This leads to my next question of who wants to volunteer for "New Client Vetting" duty. In other words, very likely there would be greater than normal turnover based on the info stats of the requesting new client such as Eddie above. They might try some aggressive content uploads. But if someone really wants to haul in a few clients to practice their sysadmin design host metrics, it's an idea.

Study Entries Closed

One year later, I think I will close the study to new entries, save for one last wildcard entry TBD later.

The winners for duration are:

CWahi
IsMyWebsite
Seraphim Labs
Lost Signal
Babblehost
Colorhost (as paid only)

Recent new entries
L4rge.com
My-Webhost

Now this will be a monitoring thread, still for chats and downtime reports, etc. But now that there is indeed a nice spread of solid hosts, I must attend to the wry remarks about the vacuous state of my site itself.

This was my last big project for FWS, so I'll be a bit more scarce here myself, with a stray remark or three instead of passioned campaigns.

Hello,

Sorry for Brandon's lack of updates, his current status doesn't permit him to spend much spare time outside of work. He also is dealing with a few health issues keeping him busy...he recently informed me of this website. If you have any questions about BabbleHost, feel free to contact me (I will also be monitoring these forums)

Regards,
John @ BabbleHost

Nice note there John.

So far, I am pleased to report the hosts are cruising along solidly. Exactly what I hoped for at the outset.

Back