• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Thread Closed] AOL sending out cd's in a tin? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by cdudeuk18
I actually believe AOL is a good isp

Has anyone thought that you only hear the bad comments and not the good ..

AOL is very good for families who just want the internet with a flat monthly fee ... it has alot of information
Yes I agree to an extent but AOL's browser is the only thing I have a problem with. It can really do damage to your computer and screw stuff up, it is meant for computer illeterate people but umm, I think it is harder to set up than a regualar dial-up connection MSN is now far better than AOL. IT is not available everywhere yet but it will be soon and so far I have heard nothing but good news about it.
however for gamers and big downloaders ADSL or some form of broadband / high speed access would be better :cool:
OR sattelite?:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Umm... I posted a thread on them a while ago.... they are going bankrupt with $64 billion of net losses.

DAMN ... havn't you read what i said :confused:

they didn't actually lose $64 billion

They are a profit making and i NO debt company

Originally posted by cdudeuk18

DAMN ... havn't you read what i said :confused:

they didn't actually lose $64 billion

They are a profit making and i NO debt company

You obviously know squat about economics... I say look at my thread and the source. THEY DID HAVE A NET OPERATING LOSS OF $64 BILLION. That is undeniable and they are losing large amounts of money. Quit denying that with lies.

I made one mistake... the loss is $54.2 Billion, not $64 Billion. But still that is a massive amount and show how wrong Cdudeuk is... evidence:

http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/24/technology/aol/index.htm

AOL is a messed up company and can't obviously make a profit. Quit denying what is so damn obvious. I have provided evidence and you have not cdu, so on this issue I happen to be right.

Last edited:
Well thats nice ..

You oviously know squat about economics as you would know that just because a company has made a loss ... you think they will go bankrupt ..

Take NTT / Verio communications for example .. they owe ... erm ... about $30 billion USD .... they are EXPANDING and investing more and more money into the telecom market

Take AOL itself .... they MAKE a turner of around £10 billion GBP per year

AOL Time Warner will not go under ... its just going to take awhile for such a big merger with work .... one of the reasons they merged was INCREASE operating profits and DECREASE operating costs ...

ADD >>>

as jan keeps saying to me ... rome wasn't built in a day :confused2

Last edited:
GC, AOL will make profit but I don't think they are a good company (in my opinion). Just because they make a loss at one point it doesn't mean they are doomed forever.

Anyway I have tested their dial-up speed in the UK and it is quite disappointing. I've also tested it on more than one line so its not just a one in a million situation. Sometimes it can take about 3 or 4 attempts to connect before it actually does anything and then it cuts you off about 2 minutes later. Also about flat rates which cdude mentioned. Many isp's offer them and at the same time offer a good service.

AOL might be easy to use but I find their browser very annoying. If you ever get disconnected it exits the web page you are looking at. I could go on about the problems with AOL if I wanted to be really annoying.

Cheatpark is correct, you may reviews AOL financials here:
http://www.hoovers.com/quarterlies/8/0,2167,102518,00.html

Shortly after the market closed Wednesday, the company reported a net loss of $54.2 billion for its first quarter -- one of the biggest losses in corporate history -- mostly from a one-time charge of $54 billion.

The charge reflects a decline in value of AOL's purchase of Time Warner and was recorded in accordance with a new accounting rule requiring companies to record declines in the value of acquired assets.
That's a clip in the article, which explains why there was a net loss. More of a technical issue on the papers then anything else, their real loss was much smaller.

Reviewing their financials it looks like they make around 10 billion dollars a quarter. Their gross profit margin has a small and steady decline so with slight growth they'll probably keep that at roughly five billion dollars a quarter. I'm a bit surprised, I didn't look at them this closely before but it looks like through the last year they have experienced growth when most other companies were declining. It's also worth noting their cash reserves actually went up from the prior quarter to $857 million dollars.

My guess is if AOL was slightly concerned about their financial condition they would be cutting costs and employees to reduce expenses. Even if they eliminate a large amount of their staff the AOL subscription fees would remain relatively steady, you would just get to sit on hold longer.

I'm not an AOL fan but from the looks of it they are doing just fine. If you assume AOL will burn through the cash reserves and be left with no money (They won't), then worst case scenario is they have to sell out. Who would buy them? Why MSN of course... Considering Microsoft has billions in cash to spend and they turn a large net profit each quarter I'm sure they would love the chance to obtain AOL. I highly doubt that will happen..

Sorry but that isn't how economics works, cheatpark or cdu. Things don't always go your way. K-Mart is a classic example of how people thought a big corporation couldn't go bankrupt. K-mart also offers poor service and has a poor company structure like AOL Time Warner. Before you know it AOL Time Warner could be filing for bankruptcy. The company may not collapse, but it is given a specific amount of days to introduce reforms to cut the labor force. Sometimes when companies file for bankruptcy they break into two.

Cdu, AOL sucks. It will never make a profit. People will go for the cheaper and better alternatives. Again something else you don't know about. People tend to choose the better and cheaper subsititutes, not the mainstream service.

Before you talk I suggest you study economics because you can't make assumptions in this field, it just doesn't work that way.

You oviously know squat about economics as you would know that just because a company has made a loss ... you think they will go bankrupt ..

You know nothing about economics so quit talking. $54.2 Billion is about the GDP of a small country, so I wouldn't keep on talking anymore. Ignorance doesn't do any good.

Todd that isn't correct. Again, you must realized $54.2 Billion is about the size of the GDP of a small country. Again, you ignore the fact that these is a tremendous loss, and the company will have to reduce about 20-50% of its work force, which could possibly happen in the future to AOL/Time Warner. Again look at the facts.

Last edited:
"Sorry but that isn't how economics works, cheatpark or cdu. Things don't always go your way. K-Mart is a classic example of how people thought a big corporation couldn't go bankrupt. K-mart also offers poor service and has a poor company structure like AOL Time Warner. Before you know it AOL Time Warner could be filing for bankruptcy. The company may not collapse, but it is given a specific amount of days to introduce reforms to cut the labor force. Sometimes when companies file for bankruptcy they break into two."

WEll. You seem to lack a partial understand of economics.... A one time "loss"(which AOL didn't really have) from a big corporation does not make a company go bankrupt. It has to be continuous, as Kmart kept losing money.

"Cdu, AOL sucks. It will never make a profit. People will go for the cheaper and better alternatives. Again something else you don't know about. People tend to choose the better and cheaper subsititutes, not the mainstream service. "

While that is what happens idealy, that does not always happen realistically. Explain why Windows is more widely used that Linux. Why McDonalds is larger than Burger King, Wendy's, etc? Why AOL has been the largest ISP for many years? People do choose the mainstream services usually because they don't know of many alternatives. That is not economics. That is called psychology. Most people will go to the product which is easiest to obtain without sacrificing the most.

'Before you talk I suggest you study economics because you can't make assumptions in this field, it just doesn't work that way."

I appears you are making the assumption they will go bankrupt because of this loss. Not anyone else.

"You know nothing about economics so quit talking. $54.2 Billion is about the GDP of a small country, so I wouldn't keep on talking anymore. Ignorance doesn't do any good."

Typical GC. Knows everything. And you called me a know it all in the past.

"Todd that isn't correct. Again, you must realized $54.2 Billion is about the size of the GDP of a small country. Again, you ignore the fact that these is a tremendous loss, and the company will have to reduce about 20-50% of its work force, which could possibly happen in the future to AOL/Time Warner. Again look at the facts."

The facts are that in accounting(this isn't economics), there is no defenitive science to documenting losses. However, there is a rule companies must report their loss of value in assets also. AOL did not lose 54.2 billion dollars. Their overall assets fell. You should know that after a merger, such things happen, as you claim to be an economics expert.

And another thing you may have overlooked. Even if AOL does goes bankrupt as your prophetically say they will :rolleyes:, there is a large chance that the US government will bail them out, as it will hurt the economy if a large corporation such as that falls under, which is doubtful it will in the first place.

It's a huge amount Giancarlo, I don't disagree with you there. However the K-Mart comparison isn't a great one, K-Mart had negative net operating income where as AOL had a profitable operating income of $1,316,000. K-Mart also had half the profit margin AOL does, and their cash on hand was only $366 million for the last quarter reported, where as AOL was $857 million.

You could be right, it's anyone’s guessing game. My guess is they won't go under, most that will happen is they will try to cut expenses so they can start to show their share holders a nice profit.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that net loss was more about claiming it on paper for shareholders to see then anything. I think they were required to claim it there and couldn't get around it. It's not as though they had a $64 billion dollar check to sign, their cash reserves wouldn't allow such a check to clear and they didn't take out any loans that large so I'm pretty sure it was more about declaring it then anything else. If I'm wrong let me know and I'll research it, I haven't been following AOL as a stock or else I'm sure it would have explained it more after it was announced.

I'm a beta tester of AOL and a 6 year member. I still use AOL with my cable connection and it's fantastic. No disconnects, no crashes, no freezes. It's perfect.

AOL 7.2 does not exist. AOL 7.0 is the lastest version. AOL 7.0 Gecko (Beta) has been released. Instead of having MS IE it has Netscape (can't notice a difference).

K-Mart filed for chapter 11, 1-2 months ago their stock was at 1.10 per share, now it's at 1.17. Not a big difference, but seems to be going up (lol went down today, opened at 1.21 today).

AOL messsed up by merging with Time Warner. They wanted MORE than they could get, and they still haven't gotten it.

With over 30 million members (making it the biggest ISP, MSN is in second place with 7 million), AOL Time Warner will not go out of business.

Most of AOL's members don't even know that the Internet exists. They think AOL is the Internet. I sure did when I was 10.

GC: The lose that AOL filed for may be the GDP of a small country, but this is the United States. That may be a record lost, but certainly will not run AOL out of business.

Last edited:
I have you on my ignore list Owen so I don't respond to you.

I will say this:

If they file for bankruptcy protection under the chapter 11 laws of the United States Federal Code, they will reduce their workforce by 20-70%, and AOL may split from Time Warner. AOL in my opinion is not profitable enough to make economic profits, just accounting profits. They may go under and start operating a real net loss in the future I am guessing.

AOL shedded $54.2 Billion dollars in deficit. That is not deniable. That is a fact based on the evidence I presented. And that is just AOL.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Investors have been waiting impatiently for the growth that executives of AOL and Time Warner promised when the two companies merged in January 2001. They'll have to wait at least until the end of this year and possibly into 2003.

After posting a staggering net loss for the first quarter, the world's largest media company on Wednesday lowered its profit target for the year, citing ongoing weakness in online advertising sales at its America Online unit.

Parsons, who will officially take the reins of AOL Time Warner when Jerry Levin retires next month, blamed the first-quarter shortfall entirely on weakness in online advertising at America Online, which he said has performed even more poorly than expected since January.

"As we move through this year and into the next, we expect America Online to turn the corner on its advertising business and thereafter become a key driver of growth for the company," Parsons said.

But shares of AOL Time Warner (AOL: Research, Estimates) rose to $20 in after-hours trading after closing at $19.30 on the New York Stock Exchange as investors, who had been bracing for the worst, found some encouragement in the company's latest results.

Shortly after the market closed Wednesday, the company reported a net loss of $54.2 billion for its first quarter -- one of the biggest losses in corporate history -- <U>mostly from a one-time charge of $54 billion.</U>

Read the highlighted portion please.

:rolleyes:

Owen I will respond to this portion I got from viewing your message:

WEll. You seem to lack a partial understand of economics.... A one time "loss"(which AOL didn't really have) from a big corporation does not make a company go bankrupt. It has to be continuous, as Kmart kept losing money.

I don't lack any understanding of economics. I finished a highly intensive AP course. I got an exam on Monday. On the mocks I got a 4.

You are lacking knowledge that AOL has been losing money for a long time.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Giancarlo

You are lacking knowledge that AOL has been losing money for a long time.

AOL has been losing money since broadband became available. However, they started to lose more when they merged with Time Warner. They thought if they merged with Time Warner's RoadRunner, they could increase their profit.. wrong. It decreased their profit.

Why? The answer isn't because of some economic reasoning. It's easy, AOL is so strict on their cable/dsl services. They take too long to setup DSL on their clients computers, therefore, they go elsewhere.

Originally posted by Robert

AOL has been losing money since broadband became available. However, they started to lose more when they merged with Time Warner. They thought if they merged with Time Warner's RoadRunner, they could increase their profit.. wrong. It decreased their profit.

Then I think they will be filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. They may get a bail-out and start reforms by using austere measures (i.e, reducing workforce, reducing pays, etc)

Why? The answer isn't because of some economic reasoning. It's easy, AOL is so strict on their cable/dsl services. They take too long to setup DSL on their clients computers, therefore, they go elsewhere.

Yes, and that is what I pointed out. AOL offers bad service.

Seeing how much a loss they reported, I highly doubt they will file for any chapter. They pretty much have more money than we can imagine so I doubt.

Originally posted by Robert
Seeing how much a loss they reported, I highly doubt they will file for any chapter. They pretty much have more money than we can imagine so I doubt.

Your opinion... but $54.2 Billion NET operating loss for one year is hefty. Excuse me, for the first quarter!

AOL has be losing abit of profit since broadband came out .. but not money

GC , you know jack all if you think AOL has been losing money

i was trying to tell everyone that the $54 billion was a one-off fee .. due to the new accounting rules ...

so the actually debt was 500million ... this was mostly due to upgrades in the Time backbone ... also Warner bros invested alot of money in a few films "harry potter" to name one ... and they will be making alot of money from the release of it on DVD ... which i'm getting on Saturday .. dunno why :confused:

anyways ... i never seen AOL in a tin .... i saw Tiscali / Lineone CD in a tin :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back