• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Spam mail.

Darknight

Premium
Premium Member
NLC
Well spam has been around for a long time now and one thing is really starting to bother me with it.

How can it still be working??? :confused4 I mean surly by now everyone on the internet pretty much understands what basic spam is, now apart from the fact the majority of it gos straight to my junk mail (on hotmails on terms, not flagged it myself) surly this crap cant be profitable to peoples time doing it??
Like them medication spams, surly its been done for so long now that its not worth doing???
I still get them all the time...
I dont know, this is just a rant because I cant understand how these would be profitable to do anymore.
:confused4:confused4:confused4:confused4:confused4:confused4

I delete almost every spam emails in my spam folder. I don't like them filled in my email account.

Basically you get emails which contains things you are not interested. Talking about me, i get many spam messages regarding medications. But i don't use even a Paracetamol :p So it is useless for them to send emails to me. But there may be some people get benefit with them. So they will worth 1% of the total spam emails they send.

How

Well spam has been around for a long time now and one thing is really starting to bother me with it.

How can it still be working??? :confused4 I mean surly by now everyone on the internet pretty much understands what basic spam is, now apart from the fact the majority of it gos straight to my junk mail (on hotmails on terms, not flagged it myself) surly this crap cant be profitable to peoples time doing it??
Like them medication spams, surly its been done for so long now that its not worth doing???
I still get them all the time...
I dont know, this is just a rant because I cant understand how these would be profitable to do anymore.

Separate your questions between "how is the spammer(s!!!) not bankrupt" and "why isn't (email/something) eating them?"

First of all, these spammers do it as a job. So while you're pissed because you're busy, they're busy building multiplexers.

How is X tech not catching every one? Because you forget what spam is - they hit "Go" and have nothing else to do but write new versions. So they spend a week finding one that doesn't bounce, and then once again hit Go.

Basically you get emails which contains things you are not interested.

That's because at the moment (!!) spammers are morons. Let me help.

"Hi eSupun!! I want to be your friend. It looks like you like free web hosting! I would like you to join with me to start a host!"

I cant see in this day and age it being at all profitable, they would be lucky to reach 1 in a million users.

I cant see in this day and age it being at all profitable, they would be lucky to reach 1 in a million users.

"What you see is irrelevant". I knew some of them, and they actually reached "all of 1 in 1000 users" which, on a print run of 5.4 billion emails, was enough.

Be afraid. You're not going to win by economic siege.

"What you see is irrelevant". I knew some of them, and they actually reached "all of 1 in 1000 users" which, on a print run of 5.4 billion emails, was enough.

Be afraid. You're not going to win by economic siege.

why would you know spammers???

Six degrees of separation thang. Yoy know X, X *later* decides to become a spammer. I'm not going to induce amnesia any faster than my natural senility already makes me forget stuff.

That's because at the moment (!!) spammers are morons. Let me help.

"Hi eSupun!! I want to be your friend. It looks like you like free web hosting! I would like you to join with me to start a host!"

This post is really tricky! :) If I got some email like this(even it's in the Spams) I would write a reply. :D

They can send over 50,000 messages in an hour per compromised server for spam being sent from compromised shared hosting. And many hosting providers aren't always on top of things to shut them down right away, so they can continue to do this in a fully automated loop for hours and days until they see fit to stop it. Plus a lot of spam comes from botnet arrangements, which can send it even faster and further.

While most of it is filtered out, they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't able to make money doing so. Be it people paying them to send junkmail, regardless of of it gets filtered out, or people that actually read through some of it and try the offers inside.

I can see potential for very high profit (at the expense of legality) with phishing scam emails. Since you'd only need a few people to buy in for several thousand dollars in possible results assuming nobody caught you.

It's annoying, and I also wish something would be done about it- making sure to do my part and ban every spammer I catch on my server. But that's the internet we've got, and not everyone cares enough about it to take action against it.

Last edited:
Maybe it is profitable, because generally spam mails focus on Men and their Desire to be Sexually Attractive, active or just have a larger D**k, Old people with medication, morons who don't understand that banks never send you an email telling you to login to them, and people from china trying to steal your WoW account (Hey, all of them came from China with me thank you very much)
Never anything good actually gets sent through emails that much now-days. Long gone are the days I will get a really funny email with pictures of cats, but hey, I can always look at LOLCATZ on the web. ^_^

Here is an example of how well spam messages work. At one point a spammer registered for free hosting at Apenex The spammer managed to send out only 80 messages before he was suspended by the server.

In my case I leave a message that says "This account has been suspended, please contact admin@apenex.com for details." I had 3 people write me asking why their accounts had been suspended and how badly this was going to affect their credit.

The messages were sending spam to people telling them that their credit was in danger and to go to the site the spammer had setup to fix it.

3 PEOPLE FELL FOR SPAM OUT OF 80 EMAILS!

They can send over 50,000 messages in an hour per compromised server for spam being sent from compromised shared hosting. And many hosting providers aren't always on top of things to shut them down right away, so they can continue to do this in a fully automated loop for hours and days until they see fit to stop it. Plus a lot of spam comes from botnet arrangements, which can send it even faster and further.

While most of it is filtered out, they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't able to make money doing so. Be it people paying them to send junkmail, regardless of of it gets filtered out, or people that actually read through some of it and try the offers inside.

I can see potential for very high profit (at the expense of legality) with phishing scam emails. Since you'd only need a few people to buy in for several thousand dollars in possible results assuming nobody caught you.

It's annoying, and I also wish something would be done about it- making sure to do my part and ban every spammer I catch on my server. But that's the internet we've got, and not everyone cares enough about it to take action against it.

The vast majority of spam comes from botnets, not hosting servers. Only the noobs use hosting servers for bulk mail. Botnet are dirt cheap and can send millions of email per day.

One of the companies I work for receive around 100,000 spam emails per month. Can you imagine sifting through all these emails mamually?

Back