• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So, I got ripped off on Ebay

Daniel said:
Can't replace a videocard on a laptop. It's soldered onto the motherboard.
Not always - sometimes it's a module like some modem and sound units in laptops. If it was an onboard then use it for scrap value, back to E-Bay sell it off for the reuseable bits.

Let us know what the make and model is and we can check it out.

Might be a load of things.
More info toefur?
Could be simply the LCD backlight, the LCD itself, gfx chipset.......

Daniel said:
Can't replace a videocard on a laptop. It's soldered onto the motherboard.

Really? I upgraded my 32mb Nvidia to a 64mb Nividia on my Dell Insipiron 8200.

Laptops had soldered parts back in the 80's.

You're laptop is not from the 80's is it?

hottweelz said:
Really? I upgraded my 32mb Nvidia to a 64mb Nividia on my Dell Insipiron 8200.

Laptops had soldered parts back in the 80's.

You're laptop is not from the 80's is it?

True, I have a old 466 (cyrix) & the bios chip went so I had to remove it & solder it back on, still got it & still works lol but its only for testing on now. :p

EEK! Soldering on comp parts is dodgy as they're multi layer boards (don't do it folks) I had to get myself a SMT rework kit years ago for that. Uses heated air rather than direct heating.

You lucky git Craig ;P

A video card breaking has nothing to do with getting "scamed" off ebay.

Hardware breaks, its not like ebay broke it or something. It might have been damaged during shipping or a screw was knocked loose or something.

Not fair to say you were ripped off ebay.

Decker said:
EEK! Soldering on comp parts is dodgy as they're multi layer boards (don't do it folks) I had to get myself a SMT rework kit years ago for that. Uses heated air rather than direct heating.

You lucky git Craig ;P

I know but saying that I wasnt so luckly one time, I was putting a new system together & did it all only to find I wasnt using my static strap & you can guess what happended :p & it cost me £80 for a new motherboard.

Last edited:
OUCH!

I've never had to use one - I could get a job on a coach or bus (uk specific this one) - I'm a bad conductor LOL (they, well used to collect the fares for the journey)

Never touch the boards always by the edges.

Decker said:
OUCH!

I've never had to use one - I could get a job on a coach or bus (uk specific this one) - I'm a bad conductor LOL (they, well used to collect the fares for the journey)

Never touch the boards always by the edges.

lol, it was very painful to watch my £80 just go down the drain but I couldnt get my money back as I did it, I did think of saying it was faulty but I didnt, I get my parts from microdirect.co.uk, very good place & cheap, better to order online as there shops are ALWAYS BUSY.

:fork: Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, :p

Just to clarify: the graphics card was dodgy from the moment I recieved the laptop. The problem was, there was a 30 day gaurantee on the parts... but he sent it to the wrong address originally, so I didn't actually get the laptop until 2 months after I had bought it.

Once I finally did get it, I took it out of the box to find it was in brand new condition. It looked like it hadnt been used at all, it even smelt brand new.

From the first day the video card was dodgy. It worked, but only on battery or only if I clocked the graphics card down with centrino hardware control - If I didnt do this, then no 3D games/applications (not even google earth) would run.

And, I might add, I couldnt get in contact with the guy at all.

It didnt bother me too much because it worked fine running hardware control... but I guess in the process it was just getting worse. As of last week, the display is totally screwed from the second the machine turns on.

But, given the fact that the graphics card was dodgy from the day I recieved it + how much the guy sold it for + the fact the machine was pretty much brand new = I'm pretty certain this guy knew it was dodgy.

(BTW: This issue is definately a motherboard/gc harware issue without a doubt).

It's an NEC Versa M540 1802DR. It was running a ATI Radeon 9700. Manufacturer wants $1137AU to replace motherboard.

I had a buyer for it on eBay, but that was before the video problem made the computer essentially unusable. It's got an 80gig 5400 HDD, 512memory, dl dvd burner, 1.8ghz centrino, etc. Anyone here wants to take it off my hands for a few hundred dollars your welcome.

Unless I CAN solder a video card on... heh heh. Doubt that though.

Last edited:
Toefur said:
It's an NEC Versa M540 1802DR. It was running a ATI Radeon 9700. Manufacturer wants $1137AU to replace motherboard.

I had a buyer for it on eBay, but that was before the video problem made the computer essentially unusable. It's got an 80gig 5400 HDD, 512memory, dl dvd burner, 1.8ghz centrino, etc. Anyone here wants to take it off my hands for a few hundred dollars your welcome.

Unless I CAN solder a video card on... heh heh. Doubt that though.

ATI Radeon 9700 is NOT a soldered video card.. probably 3 phillips screws.

Just to fix another old rumor in life NEC = DELL = IBM ;)

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. I was having a look inside it yesterday and it looked pretty much soldered to the board to me!

Originally I was hoping to get at least $600 AU (453.329 US) for it. Which is a lot less than I originally paid. :cry2:

Back