• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should there be a limit on free requests?

iLucas

NLC
NLC
Should there be a limit as to how much someone can request? For instance, we have people coming and requesting 35 GB's and 150 GB's bandwidth, and it's completely absurd, and we're almost guaranteed both, the host and user, will be back complaining later.

We should set the limit at something like ~3 GB's webspace and 50 GB's bandwidth.

The requests are getting out of hand, and it's turning FWS.net into a laughing stock.

- Lucas

I agree with you 100% Lucas.
I also feel that requests for large amounts of hosting resources with "No ads, link back or anything" should be locked or something. It's rediculous.

I have a suggestion:

=========================
If a user request for over a certain amount of specs. e.g. 200mb of space/ 5 gig of bandwidth , then he/she would have to provide a screenshot of Webstat of his/her existing website to backup his/her request.

If he/she can, then I would have no problem with people requesting for whatever amount of space/bandwidth they are asking for.

Of course, it's another thing whether the hosts are willing to provide that much. But my main problem is people asking for 100X more than they ever need

^^ Now that's a good idea. It definitely makes sense, and doesn't ban users from making requests for things they might actually really need.

But Peo would never agree to something like this.

No offence Peo or Jan, and I know this post is going to get deleted and I’m going to get another infraction and be banned, but it just has to be said...

This place has been losing allot of members lately, even the old timers are packing their bags and leaving, hosting requests have dropped like a stone, and the amount of posts this place gets per day is also falling greatly.

Allot of traffic to this site, is for these so called "absurd" packages, and I'm sure Peo would not stop them, as it would mean FWS would drop even more into the pits of hell.

Powerful post there, hosting-shack. I agree that the posts have been significantly decreased than before. Even the members are deciding to turn and get off the site. (i'm not one of the people or at least now)

I totally agree with hosting-shack and everyone else.

The free requests are chasing many decent people away... and soon all that's left will just be the ridiculous free requests and offers.

The so-called 'increasing' traffic is actually just the increasing number of ridiculous free requests, which I don't think are welcomed here.

I hope that Peo will be able to set some rules so as to reduce the amount of ridiculous free requests. I am sure it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kwek

Last edited:
Most of the time the requests are uneducated requests, they don't understand what overselling is or how much space/bandwidth they really need for there site.

So I don't think they should be locked/banned etc... There should be more sticky posts educating users as to what space and bandwidth they really need.

Most of the time the requests are uneducated requests, they don't understand what overselling is or how much space/bandwidth they really need for there site.

So I don't think they should be locked/banned etc... There should be more sticky posts educating users as to what space and bandwidth they really need.
The main problem lies in the fact that most people don't bother about those sticky posts, even if they read it they just ignore it.

Yet when makes a very reasonable request (50MB space and 300MB bandwidth), someone in this very thread offered him 10GB space and 100GB bandwidth. Again, educate the offerers, not the requesters.

Yet when makes a very reasonable request (50MB space and 300MB bandwidth), someone in this very thread offered him 10GB space and 100GB bandwidth. Again, educate the offerers, not the requesters.

I said the same thing 6 months ago and my post was deleted

How about educating both?

I can't help but agree with Richard. There hasn't been dedicated server requests in the longest time. Most of the requests are for VPS. I did notice a lot of old timers leaving which is really unfortunate.

There hasn't been dedicated server requests in the longest time.
Define long time :rolleyes:

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2185155
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2185232
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2185091
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2185161

Some useless facts for you. We are getting less asking for free hosting than we did 5 years ago. We have more requesting/offering paid hosting/VPS/dedicated hosting than we did 5 years ago. Our membership has quadrupled in that time. And I am sure Peo can dig up some comparison stats :idea:

I agree with that. Unfortunately many hosts, free and paid, have no clue how allocate their resources so they have a profitable long term business. As long as someone is willing to give them the insanely large packages, they will keep asking for them.

We can do the same with them? If they can't provide proof of having what they're offering, lock/delete the thread.

If we start a movement, it'll clean this place of bad requesters/offerers within 90 days, I guarantee it.

a better idea would be to template everything, so the user follows a form and a request gets generated on their behalf, so it takes into account things like its current traffic, its subject, whether it hosts files/images/songs, features needed ect...

like on sitepoint when you create a sale:)

I'm sure some members would be willing to code something like this!

Back