• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should there be a limit on free requests?

Moderating all free requests is not a solution in my opinion. People want fast replies and don't wish to wait first for us to approve the request and then for someone to reply.

don't moderate all posts.

However, you can have a lot of moderators all day to delete/move posts that are deemed breaking the rules.

What about moving all ridiculous requests/offers to a new forum called "Jokers' Forum" ? :) They can talk amongst themselves in there.

Moderating all free requests is not a solution in my opinion. People want fast replies and don't wish to wait first for us to approve the request and then for someone to reply.

back to my suggestion, allow hosts to add packages to their user panel, these packages get approved by the admin - crazy ones can quickly been seen and removed.
when replying to a thread the host selects a package and can make a small note:) (users can/will report hosts trying to sneak in offers in their notespirate2)

JohnN, I appreciate the idea, but I think that it would be too hard to moderate all packages. Hosts often update packages and also have more than one package. And many hosts offer custom packages. So, I think that would be hard to do aswell.

Why not put a sticky on each hosting thread making people aware of what they should look for in a host and that 500gb for free is not possible. I think most people do not have the common sence to know this. The next thing is getting people to read them

Well said on both sides of this fence, This community is growing but at the same time were loosing alot of older faces.

On page 2 I think people started saying we need to educate more people about hosting, this is a great idea :), and I am working on that :), but all in all, for people thinking requests arent there right now, wait till summer ;), there all be back lol.

I have one last idea, Peo mentioned having a different forum for stupid requests, but it didnt really seem valid because the mods would still have to move the post once they decided it was stupid.

So how about, instead of trying to control what people put in thier requests, you could attach a javascript to that part of the forum like I mentioned just above here, that script could detect certain works like before only this time it would change the form action of the editor - easily done onsubmit - to post requests that seem to be outrageous into the silly requests forum, no censoring and pretty soon new users would get the idea that they don't want to end up in the silly bin as no serious hosts will read requests in there, and they are just likely to be slated by everyone ...... now I'm done .....

Well... maybe if you have not got a current website, then the limit should be around 200MB unless you have proof you are going to use it.

Then... if you already have a website, then you should provide evidence that you are going to use the space you request (link to your current, stats, etc).

1 more thing... if you are requesting cPanel, THINK! Do you actually need it. As long as there is something that is good enough, you may get dozens more options.
REMEMBER! cPanel costs... a great deal (unless the free host is on a reseller, and are therefore just paying each month and are most likely to shut down).

I QUOTE HOSTING-SHACK:
But Peo would never agree to something like this.

No offence Peo or Jan, and I know this post is going to get deleted and I’m going to get another infraction and be banned, but it just has to be said...

This place has been losing allot of members lately, even the old timers are packing their bags and leaving, hosting requests have dropped like a stone, and the amount of posts this place gets per day is also falling greatly.

Allot of traffic to this site, is for these so called "absurd" packages, and I'm sure Peo would not stop them, as it would mean FWS would drop even more into the pits of hell.

AND I REPLY:
I havn't been here for long, but just getting here I see people saying:
- 999999GB bandwidth
- 20GB hosting
- Unlimited subdomains
- Unlimited E-mail accoutns
- Unlimited FTP
- FREE DOMAIN
- CPANEL IS A MUST
- PHP
- UNLIMITED SQL
- PERL

Everything for a £10/month hosting package... NO WAY! Shut down, lock, and delete those threads straight away. Why would you need that big and not have a site that generates revenue in order to pay for the ads?? YOU WOULDNT. SIMPLE AS.

Lastly... when requesting features such as:
- E-mail account
- PHP
- PERL
- SQL
- cPanel

Let the person know why you need it and if you EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Thanks for reading my opinion,
CJ
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you all don't stress out over human nature? There will always be people who want the most they can get for free, whether it be online or offline. Just relax, report the uber ridiculous, don't be rude to the new (or established) members because they may just one day be your paying customer.

Oh and hosts, offer reasonable plans that you know you can sustain for the long term.

free hosting requests with 2 sub forums
Normal requests < 20GB space & 2GB hdd
Stupid requests > 20GB bandwidth & 2GB hdd
Something like that
Infraction for posting request in the wrong section

Why not have a "class" of host with a visible label

Premium - Legally registered company, in business over X years, been on FWS over X years
Standard - in business > 6 months
Starter - in business > 3 months
Newbie - in business > no FWS history
Unlassified - No company registration

This way you'd have some simple way of knowing whether you potential new host will be able to deliver in the future.

krakjoe, I will give the javascript idea some more thought. However, I am still not convinced that censoring words to move posts to a different subforum would work. The problem I see is that 'unlimited' might be used in "I don't need unlimited everything, just 100 MB space" or "I want unlimited autoresponders". What other words can be censored, give examples? Are you familiar with vBulletin and know for sure that this will be easy to implement?

Maybe we should start by just reporting and giving warnings (without infraction points) to the worst members and hosts who offer or request way too much. And put that instruction post more visible. Then possibly move on to other ideas.

monaghan, I like your idea. What do others think?

I'm not keen on monaghan's idea... it'd mean that new start-up hosts wouldn't get any business and close pretty much straight away.

monaghan, I like your idea. What do others think?
As the thread was primarily to do with free hosting requests It doesn't really apply :) As it has now evolved to encompass free/paid offers/requests, it is not a good idea for reasons that Colin gave.

You have new hosts popping up daily, some may make it beyond a month, some even make it to three months. Those looking for the world for nothing mostly know they are skating on thin ice, but still take a risk. These are the ones that will eventually look for an established host if their site means anything to them.

I don't know about other requesters, but I feel moving hosts is a pain in the butt, which is why I choose carefully after lots of research. Beats me how some can just keep on moving to a *maybe better* one :S

Colin, most do anyway, the think they need to compete with the oversellers and offer 10GB Diskspace and 100GB bandwidth with no ad's or posts.

I think monaghan's idea is a great one.

One more idea while I'm thinking Peo, what about a Premium Member forum like WHT has? I would be willing to donate to become such premium member, and I’m sure a few more would as well. It would be a place where hosts are safe to talk without their clients watching their every words :p

I dont really know I was bagging the monaghan idea but thinking about it it could be good too
soooooo im neither here or there on that idea.

Last edited:
Not to mention those who have had many accounts here merged because they closed down one hosting service (for whatever reason) and just opened another host and username here. Deceiving members isn't the way to go.

Back