• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Long domain name V/S short domain name

A shorter domain name is much more preferred than a long domain name as it is easy to remember.

Some great advantages of having a short domain name:
+Better for branding and adverts.
+Memorable: Short domains or often easier to remember.
+Loyal users enjoy short name since it’s quick to type.
+Easier to attract direct traffic or type-in traffic as they also call it.
+Allow longer sub-directories (ex: NN.co.uk/Keyword) to be shown in Adverts and highlighted in search engine results.
+Keep their value or increase because of scarcity and high desire among domain investors to own them.
+Your attention span is often short while browsing the web. Short domains take less time to read.
+Likely to be considered generic letters and not offend any other parties or trademark owners.

A shorter domain name is much more preferred than a long domain name as it is easy to remember.

Some great advantages of having a short domain name:
+Better for branding and adverts.
+Memorable: Short domains or often easier to remember.
+Loyal users enjoy short name since it’s quick to type.
+Easier to attract direct traffic or type-in traffic as they also call it.
+Allow longer sub-directories (ex: NN.co.uk/Keyword) to be shown in Adverts and highlighted in search engine results.
+Keep their value or increase because of scarcity and high desire among domain investors to own them.
+Your attention span is often short while browsing the web. Short domains take less time to read.
+Likely to be considered generic letters and not offend any other parties or trademark owners.

Thank you for sharing good information over short domain names

I agree that shorter domain names are preferred, the longer the domain name the greater the chance of typos when return visitors are trying to find your site.

Long or Short Domains?
One factor many people forget to consider when register a domain name is how long it is. When it comes to domain names, longer means more complicated to remember and shorter means easier to remember.
Between 2-7 letters are often the most memorable, while domain names over 16 characters usually are considerable harder for people to remember. If they remember your name and web address, you’re likely to benefit from more returning visitors. Let’s begin discussing short domains.

When picking a domain name for my new project I make the difference between promotional website and core websites.

Core websites are the ones where I expect my visitors to return, thus I want them to easily remember the name, on the other hand I also want search engines to "like" me. I usually end up with domain names between 5 and 9 characters long, which is pretty reasonable. Make sure that your domains pass the phone test or you might loose some traffic.

Promotional websites are purely for promotion products and services, thus I want to appeal to search engines by using 2 or even 3 word keyword domains, while I appeal to the visitors with a great design. Promotional websites usually redirect to core websites and this is where I expect to have returning visitors.

You always have to sacrifice a certain benefit, chose wisely.

I tend to gage the length of a domain name based on the ability to remember said domain name. For instance, Truetechy.com (shortened version of truetechnologysolutions.com.au) so on.

It depends. Some argue that shorter domain names are easier to remember, easier to type and far less susceptible to mistakes. Others argue that a longer domain name is usually easier on the human memory - for example, "gaepw.com" is a sequence of unrelated letters that is difficult to remember and type correctly, whereas if we expand it to its long form, "GetAnEconomicallyPricedWebsite.com", we are more likely to remember the domain name.

In my persoanal opinions, I'd go for the shorter name if I can get a meaningful one although it's increasingly difficult to get short meaningful domain name, but I'm not averse to longer names. However, I would probably avoid extremely long names verging on 67 characters. Aside from the obvious problem that people might not be able to remember such a long name, it would also be a chore typing it and trying to fit it as a title on your web page.

Back