• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Linksys Wireless-N Router Setup Issues

Dan

Bullah
NLC
Hey folks,

I just bought a LinkSys Wireless-N Router and tried to install it. However, when the setup gets to Network and Connection Detection, it turns off my Wireless Connection and tells me that my Wired Network is disabled.
I do have the ethernet cable connected from the router to my laptop, but makes no difference.
Has anyone experienced this before? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks, Dan

Strange. Does the setup program actually finish?

Regardless if it does or not you should be able to check/update settings in the ISR's control panel which should be set as your default gateway (generally 192.168.1.1 or similar)

You should be able to re-enable the wired connection via your Network options in the Windows Control Panel. If you need help with this let me know your OS Version.

Strange. Does the setup program actually finish?

Regardless if it does or not you should be able to check/update settings in the ISR's control panel which should be set as your default gateway (generally 192.168.1.1 or similar)

You should be able to re-enable the wired connection via your Network options in the Windows Control Panel. If you need help with this let me know your OS Version.

If Windows cannot connect to the router, it's impossible to get to 192.168.1.1.

It either has to say that there is limited or no activity or you must have internet available.

Also, DO NOT put the network as hidden if you have wireless on, Windows absolutely hates hidden networks and may disconnect you after several minutes of use if the network is not broadcasting the SSID, even if you have it set to connect to the network if it's not broadcasting.

If Windows cannot connect to the router, it's impossible to get to 192.168.1.1.

It either has to say that there is limited or no activity or you must have internet available.

Also, DO NOT put the network as hidden if you have wireless on, Windows absolutely hates hidden networks and may disconnect you after several minutes of use if the network is not broadcasting the SSID, even if you have it set to connect to the network if it's not broadcasting.
Which is annoying these days since every encryption method has been cracked, so nothing is safe unless your disable that broadcast.

Think back, what was the step before that one? Is there anything you entered which can change the gateway, interfacing as such?

Dan, i know that here in the US, sometimes when changing your router, depending on the internet service you have and your ISP, you may need to call them to allow the router you just installed. stupid, but, i know this is the case sometimes.

Dan, i know that here in the US, sometimes when changing your router, depending on the internet service you have and your ISP, you may need to call them to allow the router you just installed. stupid, but, i know this is the case sometimes.

Glad charter communications doesn't do this. Also, if you change your modem, it will always send you to a special page where you can re-set-up your new modem. However, this usually fails, and often times you have to call.

normally i hear of the router being an issue on business accounts, but, it would be something to look into. but yeah, if the modem was changed too, it will need to have the mac address added to your ISP account so that it will be allowed to communicate. but, if you didnt change the modem Dan, then i would call your ISP to ask about the router, especially if you have installed all drivers.

normally i hear of the router being an issue on business accounts, but, it would be something to look into. but yeah, if the modem was changed too, it will need to have the mac address added to your ISP account so that it will be allowed to communicate. but, if you didnt change the modem Dan, then i would call your ISP to ask about the router, especially if you have installed all drivers.

Routers need drivers?

News to me. All I do is go into 192.168.1.1 and set it up, then poof, instant working.

yeah, if you buy a netgear or linksys router, and im sure others, there is always a driver disk. most of the time the comp will already know what it is and be able to install the drivers, but, not in all cases.

see...
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/AE1000
But still, thats a wireless adapter. Considering Dan's running wired and not wireless. Even so, if he needed drivers he wouldn't be able to connect for initial setup. Routers run on common protocols and send the data in basic signals which any computer can understand.

I'm still wondering what the step is before which causes the router to crash?

Back