• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Large hosts or small ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willing to know the people's will, I would like to ask the question: will you rather prefer dealing with large hosts than getting service from smaller ones?

Give your reason please.

I have already got some notion, but now I shall try keeping it in secret until I receive couple of answers.

thanks in advance

shared hosting - go small to medium, you will get better service in my experience
vps / dedicated servers - go medium to large, you will get rates in my experience

thats what ive seen from personal experience, I don't know if this is true for anyone else.

would say big. They have proven them selfs in the past.

To my mind the sized doesn't mean anything. The host might be trusted for long time but be rather middle-sized. I think the reliability doesn't depend on the size, maximum it is a backward dependence, when the size means lower reliability.

Thanks. Though I was waiting for more active discussion, I think I am able to build some conclusions for now. Still welcome for posting.

for start, go with small hostings, as they offer cheap prices and good support.
For security,reliability and large hosting i would suggest big cloud hostings. cloud hostings are better and cheaper than vps in my experience, you pay only what you use.

for start, go with small hostings, as they offer cheap prices and good support.

I think here it is slightly another aspect to discuss. The big providers, also offer starter plans of minimum amount of resources, but the quality comes out of their servers and their customer care, which is to my mind higher at middle-sized hosts. AS wells the security and reliability is also available indepedently on the size, but is more likely to be provided by smaller hosts which haму good establishment.

No news for three days. is there any interest for the topic here? I have noticed the activity has gone down lately, unlike it has been before, when the threads were refreshed each day. For now there are neither threads, nor posts in this section. Why?

Depends. I've been with some large ones (FatCow) and they were pretty bad. I've been with small ones and lost my data. Trick is to look for medium sized but reputable ones.

Sure, the host which is going to be used should be studied well. Before paying money you just have to make a homework for knowing more of their quality. But still small hosts appears to be more trustworthy.

It really depends what anyone wants. If you want to be important customer and to enjoy any special treatment, you'd better go with smaller or middle-sized company. It makes sense to go with a large, corporate provider only if it offers any service on an infrastructure level that smaller web hosts can not provide.

It really depends what anyone wants. If you want to be important customer and to enjoy any special treatment, you'd better go with smaller or middle-sized company. It makes sense to go with a large, corporate provider only if it offers any service on an infrastructure level that smaller web hosts can not provide.

Indeed. But I actually do not think "being the important customer" is the only advantage of middle-sized providers. Actually shared hosting is often unreasonable, even despite of being cheap, at large hosts as they simply don't care of small clients to my mind. Corporates, which order the whole racks for their service, cannot be missed by the attention of hosts, who are making their main income due to such orders, but when you just a regular site owner, you are most likely served by the machine alone, what causes unwarned account suspensions or other unpleasant things.

I always trust the large web hosts than the small ones.
But, if anyone(my friends) is there to strongly recommend a web host for their hosting services, then i wont consider whether it is small one or large one. Just go and start hosting.

But, if anyone(my friends) is there to strongly recommend a web host for their hosting services, then i wont consider whether it is small one or large one. Just go and start hosting.

that is the weighty reason. I believe the friendly recommendation is more important than any reviews. But there seems to be no any tendency of choice...

Smaller to medium hosts can be a boon , I have a good un, cheers JS ;) , ones that have been in business for a while (take a year as minimum) will give good customer service. If they don't they incur the wrath of a customer with the possibility of losing that one and others.

The big guys really don't need the hassle of one shared hosting customer so are more likely to blow you off.

But, if you want all the twiddly bits that come as addons for a fee of course the big guys are the ones to go for (they're designed for total internet virgins, but don't tell them I said that...)

I prefer a small host where it is easy to talk to people. One with a Forum attached to it so that there would be some community type exchanges involved as well. I don't like large at all. The larger it gets, the more impersonal it is, I just don't do impersonal that well. If I should go for a paid host one day I'd probably go from small to medium. But never large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back