• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net

ICQ using banners to stay free?

AnneX

Today I started up ICQ like I do everyday.. and what do I see when I recieve my first message of the day. A banner towards the bottom of the window... not advertising anything as of yet except ICQ itself. Sending a message... same little banner down there. :(

So, who else has this? I've asked many on my list if they have it too and so far not one person does. ICQ targeting me? hehe.. well, I don't like it, but if its there to keep the service free then thats okay.

Strange thing is most of the people I asked have the same version I do.. ICQ 2000a maybe its per build that is getting these banners? My info says ICQ version 2000a Beta v.4.29 Build #3140.. you guys have this banner like me? :confused:

ok.. I am adding a little screenshot of this so you guys who don't have it (lucky you!) know what it looks like to me.. http://www.upside-down.net/icq_sendmessage.gif

[Edited by AnneX on 02-08-2001 at 02:15 PM]

BLACKOUT

I have ICQ 2000b beta v4.55 build # 3264
and the only thing I have banners on are like, the send file, and send chat things, not the message windows
--BLK

Gonzo

I have ICQ 2000b
and I did notice a thing at the top where it says ICQ 2000b its says ICQ SMS! and when you click on it, it will open up. its a thing for a cell phone and ICQ to work together.

KNK

Originally posted by Gonzo
I have ICQ 2000b
and I did notice a thing at the top where it says ICQ 2000b its says ICQ SMS! and when you click on it, it will open up. its a thing for a cell phone and ICQ to work together.
I noticed that too... one day it wasn't there and the next day it popped up ... weird!

LastActionHero

WBBMods.com
NLC
me too i got that icq sms button on the top by default and it doesn't go. i have icq 2000b.
Actually ICQ hve upgraded their SMS support, so i think they are promoting it.

Chicken

NLC
NLC
Originally posted by keith
here it is: http://media.weezerfans.com/utilities/icq99b.exe

5,221,123 bytes
I wonder what the heck I have??? I sometimes change the file names, so I might have done this with this one (who knows?), but I have:

icq99b_nomfc.exe which is 4.41 MB

Hmmmmm.

I also have icq98b.exe which is only 1.63 MB

I figure that icq2001 should weigh in around 27MB at that rate :)

[Edited by Chicken on 02-09-2001 at 10:05 AM]

Nick

NLC
Thanks keith, and NO THANKS TO THAT LOUSY CHICKEN (;))! Now my ICQ is on all the time :D.

Chicken

NLC
NLC
Sorry, I check this forum every other time. If you still want it shoot me an email and warn me, that you posted here and are waiting.

Coolin

NL[C]
NLC
So Chicken, can you upload ICQ 98 somewhere so we may all download it? I want a lean and mean ICQ client, not ICQ 2000. My cousin, who recently got a new computer, would like to to have ICQ 98 (which was on his old computer) back also.

Mandrake

NLC
NLC
I too might consider using ICQ again if I had a decent version. I tried the 2000b and it was horrible... Not only a 5MB download, but it slowed my system to a crawl.

Coolin

NL[C]
NLC
ICQ 99 took up 10megs of RAM, I'm scared to learn what ICQ 2000 would take up. What I think is that ICQ should just scrap their current code and create ICQ from the ground up, I bet the install file would be about 2 megs.