• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ICQ using banners to stay free?

AnneX

Today I started up ICQ like I do everyday.. and what do I see when I recieve my first message of the day. A banner towards the bottom of the window... not advertising anything as of yet except ICQ itself. Sending a message... same little banner down there. :(

So, who else has this? I've asked many on my list if they have it too and so far not one person does. ICQ targeting me? hehe.. well, I don't like it, but if its there to keep the service free then thats okay.

Strange thing is most of the people I asked have the same version I do.. ICQ 2000a maybe its per build that is getting these banners? My info says ICQ version 2000a Beta v.4.29 Build #3140.. you guys have this banner like me? :confused:

ok.. I am adding a little screenshot of this so you guys who don't have it (lucky you!) know what it looks like to me.. http://www.upside-down.net/icq_sendmessage.gif

[Edited by AnneX on 02-08-2001 at 02:15 PM]

I have ICQ 2000b beta v4.55 build # 3264
and the only thing I have banners on are like, the send file, and send chat things, not the message windows
--BLK

I have ICQ 2000b
and I did notice a thing at the top where it says ICQ 2000b its says ICQ SMS! and when you click on it, it will open up. its a thing for a cell phone and ICQ to work together.

Originally posted by Gonzo
I have ICQ 2000b
and I did notice a thing at the top where it says ICQ 2000b its says ICQ SMS! and when you click on it, it will open up. its a thing for a cell phone and ICQ to work together.

I noticed that too... one day it wasn't there and the next day it popped up ... weird!

me too i got that icq sms button on the top by default and it doesn't go. i have icq 2000b.
Actually ICQ hve upgraded their SMS support, so i think they are promoting it.

Originally posted by keith
here it is: http://media.weezerfans.com/utilities/icq99b.exe

5,221,123 bytes

I wonder what the heck I have??? I sometimes change the file names, so I might have done this with this one (who knows?), but I have:

icq99b_nomfc.exe which is 4.41 MB

Hmmmmm.

I also have icq98b.exe which is only 1.63 MB

I figure that icq2001 should weigh in around 27MB at that rate :)

[Edited by Chicken on 02-09-2001 at 10:05 AM]

Thanks keith, and NO THANKS TO THAT LOUSY CHICKEN (;))! Now my ICQ is on all the time :D.

Sorry, I check this forum every other time. If you still want it shoot me an email and warn me, that you posted here and are waiting.

So Chicken, can you upload ICQ 98 somewhere so we may all download it? I want a lean and mean ICQ client, not ICQ 2000. My cousin, who recently got a new computer, would like to to have ICQ 98 (which was on his old computer) back also.

I too might consider using ICQ again if I had a decent version. I tried the 2000b and it was horrible... Not only a 5MB download, but it slowed my system to a crawl.

ICQ 99 took up 10megs of RAM, I'm scared to learn what ICQ 2000 would take up. What I think is that ICQ should just scrap their current code and create ICQ from the ground up, I bet the install file would be about 2 megs.

Back