• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I want a Mac

Daniel

Megalomaniac
NLC
But they're so damn expensive.

$600 for a 1.8ghz C2D with 1GB of memory. Eff that.

Actually, what I want more than a Mac, is Mac OSX.

Can I run that on a regular computer?

google search osx86. Unfortunately due to the fact that some people might say "Thats illegal" I can not say more :p

Also psystar.com ;)

Have you tried refurbished macs? They are faulty macs which were returned, repaired, tested, cleaned, to be sold again. They are cheaper and looks exactly like brand new macs too!

They're only available through Apple's website if you're interested.

But they're so damn expensive.

$600 for a 1.8ghz C2D with 1GB of memory. Eff that.

Actually, what I want more than a Mac, is Mac OSX.

Can I run that on a regular computer?

So wait for better times. That is sign that it is not about time for this ;)

you can build a mac comp yourself over going directly to them. just get intel compatible parts, and build one. :D

I personally am past the point of being cheap. Next month I plan on buying a brand new MacBook Pro pretty much fully loaded. I understand it has a premium price, but Microsoft's last hope for me to ever purchase another PC left when they introduced Vista and Linux just does not do it for me.

I would wait until Macworld in January to buy anything mac-related.

The Mac mini which you refer to has not been refreshed in quite a while hence why its specs are so far out of date for the money. Chances are it will be renewed really soon.

You could also get an iMac which are pretty good and you get decent value for your money.

The thing is, too many people focus on technical specs and not the usability. In reality, for most users who use the internet, chat online, watch videos, edit pictures, etc. a computer that is 2.0Ghz will be just as good as one that is 2.4Ghz or more -- that means it will do what you want it to do, and it will do it pretty quickly.

Specs matter most only in benchmarks where their importance is magnified by the use of bar graphs. In reality, whether it takes you 3.5 seconds or 3.7 seconds to encode a song or 2.6 seconds versus 3.1 seconds to launch a program, you could care less and probably would not notice the difference.

With a mac, the OS is also faster and more efficient than Windows and the software packages like iLife are far superior to anything you can get on a PC for money -- and they are INCLUDED in all macs.

So don't get too hung up on comparing technical specs directly with PCs to see which is the "better value"

You get a lot for your money. First, you get iLife with all macs, which is a $79 or $99 program separately. This suite allows you to edit movies, organize and print photos, create web pages, etc. very easily and with many good options. It will unleash your creative side even if you never though you had one before.

Also, with macs you don't need to worry about viruses or buying virus protection software. That saves you $40 or so every year you own your mac, plus you get priceless peace of mind and you never lose your stuff because of an infection.

Since Apple controls its hardware carefully, you are far less likely to have any major stability issues or crashes. Since the OS is pretty secure and well developed, it never really "slows down over time" like Windows does, saving you the hassle of having reformat regularly.

Everything just runs smoothly so you spend more time enjoying your computer rather than maintaining your computer.

And of course if you get an iMac or something it will lessen the clutter on your desk. That was one of my favorite things about it -- and you won't have that if you build a PC and slap Mac OS on it.

With a mac, you can finally think of your computer as a tool that you can use to do cool things with like create movies, edit photos, surf the web, get work done, etc. rather than as a machine that constantly requires your attention just to run properly.

And with a genuine Apple computer you also get a nice looking item that will go well with your room. :)

Last edited:
I would wait until Macworld in January to buy anything mac-related.

The Mac mini which you refer to has not been refreshed in quite a while hence why its specs are so far out of date for the money. Chances are it will be renewed really soon.

You could also get an iMac which are pretty good and you get decent value for your money.

The thing is, too many people focus on technical specs and not the usability. In reality, for most users who use the internet, chat online, watch videos, edit pictures, etc. a computer that is 2.0Ghz will be just as good as one that is 2.4Ghz or more -- that means it will do what you want it to do, and it will do it pretty quickly.

Specs matter most only in benchmarks where their importance is magnified by the use of bar graphs. In reality, whether it takes you 3.5 seconds or 3.7 seconds to encode a song or 2.6 seconds versus 3.1 seconds to launch a program, you could care less and probably would not notice the difference.

With a mac, the OS is also faster and more efficient than Windows and the software packages like iLife are far superior to anything you can get on a PC for money -- and they are INCLUDED in all macs.

So don't get too hung up on comparing technical specs directly with PCs to see which is the "better value"

You get a lot for your money. First, you get iLife with all macs, which is a $79 or $99 program separately. This suite allows you to edit movies, organize and print photos, create web pages, etc. very easily and with many good options. It will unleash your creative side even if you never though you had one before.

Also, with macs you don't need to worry about viruses or buying virus protection software. That saves you $40 or so every year you own your mac, plus you get priceless peace of mind and you never lose your stuff because of an infection.

Since Apple controls its hardware carefully, you are far less likely to have any major stability issues or crashes. Since the OS is pretty secure and well developed, it never really "slows down over time" like Windows does, saving you the hassle of having reformat regularly.

Everything just runs smoothly so you spend more time enjoying your computer rather than maintaining your computer.

And of course if you get an iMac or something it will lessen the clutter on your desk. That was one of my favorite things about it -- and you won't have that if you build a PC and slap Mac OS on it.

With a mac, you can finally think of your computer as a tool that you can use to do cool things with like create movies, edit photos, surf the web, get work done, etc. rather than as a machine that constantly requires your attention just to run properly.

And with a genuine Apple computer you also get a nice looking item that will go well with your room. :)

I have to say, I agree with almost everything you have said with two small exceptions.

1-Antivirus, while it is true that Macs are less prone to infection that is more due to their small market share, not their actual "immunity". While at no time in the near future will Macs become targets like Windows Machines not spending a bit of money for antivirus might not be too wise of an option, because as the Mac gains market share more viruses will be created.

2-Wait until macworld to buy anything mac related - I have to say that I highly doubt we will see any major updates outside of the Mac Mini model and perhaps iPods. While Apple commonly releases new iPod's it does not as frequently release new notebooks. This past update was the first in a long time, all we are looking at in improvements is a small boost in speed at the most. However, as you have noted the Mac Mini is beyond overdue for an update and Apple has been quoted on statements saying it understands the mini is still in demand, perhaps hinting towards an update.

Sorrry, :p I am bit a of a fanboy.

I would only suggest a Mac if you are interested in media production/design/editing. That's basically the only use of a Mac. A PC (Linux/Windows) is generalized. Sometimes PC's are geared for gaming. Never are Macs considered for Games as they lack the CPU/Memory performance compared to a PC.

Schmarvin, I'll get to you in a sec.

First, Aggie, I think the iMac might get a refresh as well. By the time MacWorld rolls around it will have been quite a while without one.

Also, Mac OS is built pretty securely. Assuming the user stays off their root/admin account and does not click "Install" to approve installing new software they do not recall wanting to get (or shady shareware or freebies online), the chances are pretty slim of catching anything.

Of course no system is 100% secure, but it is hardly fatal not having AV software at the moment as I believe most Mac users (I would guess 95%+) do not use it and do not fall victim to viruses.

Compared to Windows where so much as visiting a bad website could result in a major infection, Mac OS does pretty well.

It is really a combination of secure OS and low market share. It is unlikely to change anytime soon though. I don't think viruses are going to become very widespread on the Mac until it reaches well over 25% of the market overall (it currently holds 10% or so of new computers sold IIRC and its actual market share is much lower as a % of all computers in use).

Schmarvin, you are wrong.

Macs can do just about everything PCs can, and usually better. In terms of personal productivity (typical home uses, like organizing and manipulating photos, surfing the net, chatting online, writing school papers, etc.) Macs are far better.

The personal productivity software out there are just fine, you have your choice of Microsoft Office 2008, iWork 08, or some variant of OpenOffice (personally I stick to iWork so I don't know much about the others).

It is possible to use a mac in the workplace now a days. It is not just for graphics designers and movie editors anymore.

The software that lets you do most of the fun things people do with computers is also far better on the mac. The iLife suite pretty much takes care of all the major things that people ever wanna use their home computer for from creating a web page to editing a movie and uploading it to YouTube and a lot of other things in between.

There is no comparable suite available for Windows, and Microsoft's own tools fall far short of Apple's in terms of usability and even features.

As far as games, yes, Windows-based PC's will have better options if you want to upgrade your computer or get a true "gaming machine" (translation: best hardware money can buy). But in reality, the iMac has a good enough graphics card and hardware to run games VERY well (and it can run them all if you get Windows through BootCamp) .

The GeForce 8800 chip is pretty decent and sure it won't run some of the latest and greatest with all bells and whistles, the graphics are more than adequate. Even their laptops now have decent graphics performance. Personally I am able to run Red Alert 3 that just came out in 1280x800 resolution (native resolution of the Macbook) in low details (still looks fine) just fine, and it runs smooth too.

The iMacs do even better -- a lot better. And quite frankly, most gamers I know with the exception of the few who have money to toss around, use far inferior and older hardware than todays iMacs come built in with (yet they all manage to throw the same talking point around of macs not being good with games despite their graphic capabilities being better than the computers they presently game on).

And if you look at the crap they sell at electronics retailers you will see that most of the built-in graphics that come with PCs are total crap, some if not many are even WORSE than what you can get on an iMac.

Only when you pay careful attention to the graphics card and upgrade or buy a really higher end computer do you take full advantage of Windows-based PC's advantage in this area and from my experience in selling computers (even sometimes to people who say they will use them for games) most people don't.

Last edited:
You're stating the Mac is better because of software. If that's the case, of how a OS is classed as good due to it's software range, then Windows wins. The fact is, I'm yet to see a hardcore gamer, or general computer geek use a Mac for it's all round greatness. They stick to Windows, then perhaps Linux, then onto the MacOS. If you really only use a computer to listen to music, edit photos, and a bit of programming - then you've just wasted your money.

It has nothing to do with a range of software. Windows can have a million programs but if none of them do what you need them to do its useless.

It's what programs are available and what they do. Apple ships with programs that can do most of the tasks computer users would expect, and those programs do them well... very well in fact...

What exactly do people use their computers for?

From my experience as a computer tech, having not only spoken to hundreds if not thousands of customers over my 3 years working in the field but also having to look inside their computers (physically and metaphorically speaking), I would say about 60% of users use their computer to surf the internet, instant message, listen to music (including dock with their mp3 player or burn CDs), e-mail, work with documents in MS Office, and transfer/organize/edit/print their digital photos off their camera. Nothing more. (And all of these would be served very well by a mac)

Another 30% or so would do all of the above and add in an occasional game and video downloading (99% illegal), perhaps occasionally burning a DVD movie to watch on a TV.

The remaining 10% or so (probably less, keep in mind these are guestimates not exact stats) would do anything more complex than what is mentioned above, those people were usually limited to business people who did quickbooks and other professionals who used software specific to their trade.

So yes, I would say most people ARE wasting their money if they are buying fully loaded PCs because they do NOT use the functionality they are paying for. Might as well get a mac and at least do the things you need to do quickly, effectively, and painlessly and avoid all the problems that come with Windows-based PCs.

Last edited:
From my experience as a computer tech, having not only spoken to hundreds if not thousands of customers over my 3 years working in the field but also having to look inside their computers (physically and metaphorically speaking), I would say about 60% of users use their computer to surf the internet, instant message, listen to music (including dock with their mp3 player or burn CDs), e-mail, work with documents in MS Office, and transfer/organize/edit/print their digital photos off their camera. Nothing more. (And all of these would be served very well by a mac)

What do you mean by that exactly? Can't Windows based computers do this perfectly well? Also, simple minds go for simple things, MacOS has a simple interface. Everytime I hear "It's faster", "It doesn't crash or require you to reinstall it every few months" or "It works better", is just all BS. It's an operating system, would I base a TV channel as good off how my TV works? No I wouldn't.

Again, the majority of the people who you classed as using Computers probably have never heard of anything more broad than MacOSX and Windows. Probably also believe that the iPhone was the first phone that came with 3G internet maybe streching onto the iPod being the only MP3-4 player.

I'm not saying that a Mac isn't usable, because it is, but all I ever hear is it's faster, If I had a Quad core processor, 8GB RAM, and twin graphic cards, along with high speed HDD's then surely my Windows based computer would be classed as fast?

Might as well get a mac and at least do the things you need to do quickly, effectively, and painlessly and avoid all the problems that come with Windows-based PCs.

Problems? What, Viruses, more array of programs?

Hah, that's funny. As a my PC with a Core2Duo out performs a mac in gaming. :D
I've only got an Nvidia GeForce 6800GS! 2GB RAM (Dual-Channel),
200GB Hard-drive,
oh, and wait, it was all less that $600. How much is a desktop mac on par with my PC, over $1000.
I could put another $200 into another video card and more RAM and it'll be far superior to a Mac.

Now, I'm not saying Mac's aren't good. They look kick----, but their price for an average person is outrageous. I would only recommend them to those who love media (music, videos, etc). And sorry if this comes abrupt as being a stupid comment of my opinion. But, I've never seen a Mac in my price range perform as well as my PC.
Now, like you said, they usually perform better than a PC. How? The average desktop PC is less than $500 w/ monitor and such. The average desktop Mac is ranged near $1000.

How can you really compare them in terms of performance? One computer does this, and the other does something else. Now, prove me wrong if you can find a Mac with the same specs as my computer less than or equal to my price.

But, I do agree with you and will say the Mac has a nice smooth/stable performance.

Back