• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I got recruited by the US Army the other day

Toefur

Two Sheds
NLC
We're in a supermarket looking for juice, and this shady looking guy comes up to us and he says something I didn't quite comprehend, but he stuck his hand out so I grabbed it and shook it, "G'day mate, how's it going?"

He said hi, etc, said something which my friend heard and my friend said, "Sorry, we're not interested." The shady looking guy said something else, and my friend replied, "You're really talking to the wrong guy here."

Okay, I thought, from the sound of that response, and the look of this guy that he was trying to sell us drugs or something. This other well built guy came up behind us from the direction, and again I didn't hear what was said, but my friend said again, "Not interested, okay?"

I finally picked up what was going on, and they kept harassing us about it, then my friend when they found out I was not from the US, it was the funniest thing though, when my friend denied him for the final time and the well built guy said, "What, don't you like your freedom or something?"

Well, we told him no and walked off.

That was one of the most awesome being in America experiences.

Figures that they'd ask foreigners too...we need someone to translate into Aussie, oi oi oi! :p

aww.. you could have gotten a free lunch out of them. Should have said you were interested, but was ina hurry to eat, so you can't stay. They would have offered to buy you lunch and talk it over with you.

Robert said:
aww.. you could have gotten a free lunch out of them. Should have said you were interested, but was ina hurry to eat, so you can't stay. They would have offered to buy you lunch and talk it over with you.

How many times has this worked for you? I am intrigued by this offer of free food.

tandoc said:
How many times has this worked for you? I am intrigued by this offer of free food.

Back in high school, oh uhh about 10 times. You see, McDonalds and Burger King have "agreements" with the different military services. All the U.S. Army bases have Burger King, whereas, the Air Force has McDonalds. So the Army Recruits take the "potential" recuiters to Burger King for a free meal. So we sit down, I order, he orders, and then we discuss my "plans" for the future. At the end, I tell him it sounds too good to be true and that I need time to think this over ($40,000 for school, $5,000 signing bonus, only a 4 years in the military). Rinse and repeat with different recruiters.

My father served 26 years in the United States Army leaving as a E-8. He was the one who told me I can get free lunches if I meet with the recruiters.

Awesome - but my school already has those kinds of things (army cadets, air cadets), and there's no free lunch :(

tandoc said:
Awesome - but my school already has those kinds of things (army cadets, air cadets), and there's no free lunch :(

I'm not sure it works over there, but normally here you sign up since you are "interested" and then they will call you at home and will say "Hey, how about we talk about this face to face over a meal? I'll buy lunch for us" and off you go! It's really my tax paying money that pays me my lunch heh

Robert said:
I'm not sure it works over there, but normally here you sign up since you are "interested" and then they will call you at home and will say "Hey, how about we talk about this face to face over a meal? I'll buy lunch for us" and off you go! It's really my tax paying money that pays me my lunch heh

does this work with the US Navy's 5th Fleet Base in the gulf? :D

The Navy frequently mails me offering carabiners. Man, they should have mentioned the free lunch, I wouldn't have ripped it up. :(

Toefur said:
We're in a supermarket looking for juice, and this shady looking guy comes up to us and he says something I didn't quite comprehend, but he stuck his hand out so I grabbed it and shook it, "G'day mate, how's it going?"

He said hi, etc, said something which my friend heard and my friend said, "Sorry, we're not interested." The shady looking guy said something else, and my friend replied, "You're really talking to the wrong guy here."

Okay, I thought, from the sound of that response, and the look of this guy that he was trying to sell us drugs or something. This other well built guy came up behind us from the direction, and again I didn't hear what was said, but my friend said again, "Not interested, okay?"

I finally picked up what was going on, and they kept harassing us about it, then my friend when they found out I was not from the US, it was the funniest thing though, when my friend denied him for the final time and the well built guy said, "What, don't you like your freedom or something?"

Well, we told him no and walked off.

That was one of the most awesome being in America experiences.

So is it gone that bad that they have to chase down people from other countries to fight their battles? Thank God we are a nutral country.

danethicalhost said:
So is it gone that bad that they have to chase down people from other countries to fight their battles? Thank God we are a nutral country.

I think he's in the U.S. and was just walking about and the recruiter thought he was American.

Actually the US Army will take foreigners, and they will also offer you citizenship if you are deployed in combat. (Thats what I heard once)

What about the air force? I want to fly an F-22 but Canada's air force..well...let's just say there are probably some model airplanes that are better than those..

Regards,

Conscript said:
Actually the US Army will take foreigners, and they will also offer you citizenship if you are deployed in combat. (Thats what I heard once)

Correct. If you're not a U.S. citizen, you're limited to what you can do in the military. My friend joined the Marines and wasn't a U.S. citizen, he wanted to guard nuclear missiles, they wouldn't allow that as he wasn't a U.S. citizen. So they made him a U.S. citizen.

Bush signed in a new law stating that any non-citizen serving in a U.S. military division can immediately become a U.S citizen (without having to wait) if they can demonstrate certain skills (like speaking English and knowing about the history of the U.S.).

Death Reaper said:
What about the air force? I want to fly an F-22 but Canada's air force..well...let's just say there are probably some model airplanes that are better than those..

Regards,

Considering our military is smaller than some suburban neighbourhoods, I understand why you wouldn't want to join it. :rolleyes:

Then again, it's unlikely you'll ever see combat.

I want to fly an F-22, I love those planes...:p

I'd join the canadian air force if at least we had some F-15's or something nice..but no....we got jack.

Regards,

I'm not sure the importance of the Canadian Military is compared to the U.S. Military nor do I know the logistics of the Canadian military compared to the U.S. But I would probably join the Canadian Military if I could move up the ranks much faster than the U.S.

I'd join the U.S. military, and making it my career, but boot camp ain't for me SOLIDER!

Back