• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How are your marks doing this semester???

Originally posted by Giancarlo
is it true that most american kids don't know the leaders of the Soviet Union?
Yes. What/where is the Soviet Union anyway?
Or what the captiol of Poland is?
How would I know? The only history they teach us here is American. They barely even discuss WWI and WWII.

Originally posted by Phrozen
Yes. What/where is the Soviet Union anyway?How would I know?

Was. It disingrated about ten years ago. I guess most of what I know is self-taught.

The only history they teach us here is American. They barely even discuss WWI and WWII.

What kind of school is that?

No. They spend a whole year on the civil war, but they only spend about a few weeks, maybe a month, teaching the basics WWI and II.

Last edited:
But they don't teach the specifics of WWI or WWII?
Only cursory stuff, I didn't learn any of the specifics about either until I started watching documentaries on the History Channel. I'd have to say I know more about WWI than I do II, but that's just because I'm quite interested in the demise of Imperial Russia, which ends with the war. But, again, I didn't learn any of that from school, I've studied it myself. In fact, while I remember WWII being briefly spoken of, I don't remember "WWI" ever being mentioned at all. We did spend several months on the Civil War though.

I have studied the Cold War, WWII, WWI, Soviet leaders, etc...

But then again, I'm from Canada, not the USA :D

We have never studied (nor will we ever study) the Civil War, War of Independance, etc... we don't care about that stuff :) It's irrelevant compared to the REAL stuff American students should be taught [see above] because it's wayyyyy more important, especially to today's society eg: Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Okiez, I finally got my marks back.

English 9 - 92%
Math 10 - 95% (My best subject doesn't have the highest mark)
Social 9 - 89% (All because of this dumb test :mad: )
Science 9 - 91% (Lower than Science 10 :confused: )
Science 10 - 98% (Higher than Science 9 :confused: )
French 9 - 90% (Difficult teacher)
Phys Ed 9 - 84% (Pain in the --- teacher)
Health 9 - 98%
Computer Studies 9 - 95% (How am I supposed to show my computer knowledge when we're supposed to do 3 months of Powerpoint presentations and "advanced" knowledge is knowing how to insert a hyperlink? :mad: )

I thought Social 30 (Social 12 for seemingly everyone else) was really interesting...it's funny how all the bad stuff that happened is a lot more interesting than the good.

Gettysburg is in Pennsylvania. A battle took place there that turned the tide of the American Civil War towards the Union's(North) favor. I think most Americans should have a good understanding of something so important to their history. If someone in say, Canada didn't know, it wouldn't be a big deal. Why would they have to know?

And yes, there are many American kids who don't know Soviet Leaders, nor could they identify the fmr. USSR or Poland on a map. (hell, most of them probably couldn't find France...) WWI and WWII is taught in elective classes, but not the required World History or US history. (at the honors level, they are) I took a 20th century world history where things like WWI, WWII, the Russian Revolution, Cold War, Cuban Missle Crisis, etc. were taught in great detail.

There are extremes in the American educational system. There are those who really care, make a point to learn about things other than sex and drugs, and those who don't care. It aggravates me more to be around a person who doesn't care that they don't know, than someone who just doesn't know.

If Americans knew more about different countries and their history, they'd be less hasty to make snap judgements against a group of people. (i.e. the backlash against Arab Americans after 9/11) Too many Americans are ignorant of the world around them.

Back