• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

good cheap host?

Cyber

[...]
NLC
i was wondering if there was a good, reliable, cheap host out there, with these specs:

- VERY FAST
- ~15-20mb
- PHP (required)
- CGI (optional, but would be a +)
- sql (also would be a +, but optional)
- possibly, free or cheap domain transfer?
- SSI maybe?
- plenty of transfer (bandwidth)!
- little downtime, ex: up 99.99% of the time?

try to keep it under $10 a yr plz

thanks!

Last edited:
1-whats the bandwidth for it?
2-whats the cheapest i can get for all that (-sql, unless you dont have to)

Phrozen is right.... 10 bucks for 5gb per month but don't go over the limit or they will cut you off until the first of the following month. They are fast and 99.80% uptime for me.

This discount-hosting sounds quite good. (for the prize)

I have some questions for people that use it.
1)Except from no CGI, and no support, is there any other disadvantage?

2)What do they mean by "Unlimited FTP account"? That you have 1 FTP that you can use as much as you want, or that you can have several FTP accounts?

3)Do they have a control panel? Statistics? POP or web based email? subdomains? anything else?

Here: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.discount-hosting.com
they have Verio as their 'Netblock Owner' does this mean anything?

<<MOD EDIT>>

When answering a request, you must include
1. The URL to the plan
2. The price
3. Describe or name the features that match the original request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Theo
This discount-hosting sounds quite good. (for the prize)

I have some questions for people that use it.
1)Except from no CGI, and no support, is there any other disadvantage?

2)What do they mean by "Unlimited FTP account"? That you have 1 FTP that you can use as much as you want, or that you can have several FTP accounts?

3)Do they have a control panel? Statistics? POP or web based email? subdomains? anything else?

Here: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.discount-hosting.com
they have Verio as their 'Netblock Owner' does this mean anything?

Let's see...

I believe one FTP account without limits. No real control panel other than an area to set up email forwarding. No subdomains. You do have Webalizer for stats but it is in French. Your domain will be set up with the "www" subdomain and they will set you up without it if you ask them in their forum. Also, if you are transfering the domain from another host, you will have some down time (about a day)... they want you to have the domain propagated to them before they will set you up.

With all of that said, the service has been very fast and the Qwkmon check I have on it shows a 99.80% uptime for the past two months. I'm currently setting up a second domain with them.

Originally posted by Vegsa
what about it ? i havent broken any rules have i ?
Hosts are allowed to post answers about their company and services if asked by someone on the board. They are also allowed to reply to a request for hosting services if the following conditions are met:

When answering a request, you must include
1. The URL to the plan
2. The price
3. Describe or name the features that match the original request.

For instance, if someone asks, "Which webhosts offer 12 gigs of traffic?" If you offer such a package or know someone that does, you may respond only if you describe what you offer in that message in the format described above. Simply saying "we offer what you want, visit our site" is clearly spam and is not allowed.

Iminbudget.com would be good for your requirements. The cheapest plans start at $20 a year for 20mb space and 800 mb bandwith.

I doubt you can find anything reliable for under $10. Bandwith comes at a high price (average $3 per GB per month) so I don't think you can get much for cheap.

rk, ill take a look @ yours. about that other host, i'm not sure if i should go with them, i mean, no subdomains?

any other suggestions?

Originally posted by Cyber
any other suggestions?
Get a job? :confused2

I mean seriously, you shouldn't expect so much for $10. If you don't get subdomains you shouldn't complain. You do get what you pay for.

I could give you a few more options with all the features you want, but they only give ~100 MB of transfer

Originally posted by Cyber
i was wondering if there was a good, reliable, cheap host out there, with these specs:

- VERY FAST
- ~15-20mb
- PHP (required)
- CGI (optional, but would be a +)
- sql (also would be a +, but optional)
- possibly, free or cheap domain transfer?
- SSI maybe?
- plenty of transfer (bandwidth)!
- little downtime, ex: up 99.99% of the time?

try to keep it under $10 a yr plz

thanks!

Cyber, for $10-$20/yr., you'd be lucky to find any host, let alone one that is good and reliable, especially one with plenty of transfer and little downtime. You are looking for the cheapest possible and cheapest and reliable don't go together.

Starter basic - $25/yr.
http://affordablehost.com/hosting.shtml

500MB of transfer but they have a special this month I guess, so it would be 1.5 GB of transfer total for this plan. I'd say this is good and reliable, yet cheap. If you want to mess around with kids and $10/yr. hosting plans, then go ahead, but sometimes spending $10 on nothing isn't worth $10 and you would have been better off spending $20 (or $25 in this case) on something better in the first place, and not wasting your money.

Geez... 10 bucks and you are passing because it doesn't have subdomains?????

The closest I know with subdomains is Hosturbo for $20 per year and I'm not sure about anything with them.

Well, you could try ValuableHost at $25 per year. It doesn't say they offer SSI, but you can use PHP for that anyway. Only 1gb bandwidth though. But $25 is pretty good for what you're getting.

Back