• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free decent forum

I would say Ikonboard, I have had experiences with others, but none that are mentioned here, and it surpasses them in quality, ease of use and customisation abilities.

You can customise everything! It's great, doesn't take too much of a genius to do it either :D .

Good luck! ;)

The "best" forum is most likey vBulletin.
If you want a free one, it mostly depends on your own taste.

my taste is for good features and few bugs as well as easy installation.

i especially like a PM feature, and hidden forums.

I don't know why people keep inputing their likes...

Some people will like iKonBoard, some people like OpenBB, some like phpBB, some like whatever...

I don't care what people like. I want to know what is GOOD

so what is good. are there any pros around here who can give me an unbiased comparison of some forums?

=THanks

Originally posted by cdudeuk18
i wouldn't use YaBB if i was you :confused:

I've heard stuff down the grape vine .. we'll ... its .. the windows 9x of forums / message boards ... if you get my meaning .. i don't wanna expand on this cos .. i have nothing to backup this apart from what i've heard ... stick with something like ikonboard ( once they release a full version ) or vBulletin.
If you have no other argumentation that "rumors" you've heard "somewhere" don't mention it.

It's worth mentioning - nobody said to take it as concrete evidence against the board, but it's an opinion which could be taken into account when choosing ...

I still say IkonBoard... I have tried quite a few of boards, the Schnitz boards, boardhost, e.t.c - it was IkonBoard I eventually stuck with. The version I've got isn't the newest, but I can upgrade anytime, I just haven't chosen to.

You can find my board at: http://www.bittergirl.net , to get a look at what things look like, e.t.c ... It's very customisable, relatively simple, and best of all free! :D

Good luck!

Originally posted by +chips
It's worth mentioning - nobody said to take it as concrete evidence against the board, but it's an opinion which could be taken into account when choosing ...

No it's not at all, in fact it's about the worst thing you can do actually. When I say vBulletin's code is ugly and not organized well (not even a lie actually :D) do you think it's a good idea to tell everybody it's code is screwed and not organized and that it potentially may have a lot of bugs? The person after you will tell others vB is very buggy. The next will say you should never use vB because it's one big bug etc etc.

So no it's not "something to consider", yes for you as a iB lover it's good to hear that a competitor is bad. But for someone who is open to every suggestion it is not.

IMHO, openBB is the best and i deffinetly reccomend it. It is basically like vB, so it isn't hard to set-up. It is very customizable, and very well made

just my $0.02

Back