• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

forum or ads

As a user, I prefer ads to posting. Alot of people simply do not have time to post, or simply do not want to. I think what users need to realize is that hosters that have decent packages (small by rdiculous offers) and ads will mean their websites will be up for quite some time (in most instances), while those that offer ridiculous amounts of space and transfer with no ads or posting will not last.

I used to want everything for nothing, but then realized that for a free host, you should design your site to accomidate an ad. I did so on my Legend of Dragoon page: http://lodworld.xerohost.info/ and even upped the ad size to the 768x90 banner (with no increase in space/transfer sinec I dont need it anytime soon, if at all), and as you can see fits quite nicely in the layout.

Even portal based sites can make a section for a tower ad or whatever they are called.

But then, most people will never learn, and will post once a month when their host goes under.

I think you can give choice to people to choose from use post or ads.
so who like ad-supported will go for it and who like post will go for it so more free host customer.

Honestly if you have a paid hosting business it is better to get a text link on the bottom of the pages. Eventually all them text links will come back to you and help up your search engine ratings

text links dont generate any income, and if I am not mistakenthis is for free hosts, not paid sites.

It really depends. If you wish to do forum posting, you would not generate much revenue from the sites and you will have to be able to maintain the service well. A good plan will be needed.

Ads would be the easier option, since you can earn revenue to help fund your service.

hay, good to see topic is still alive :)

Thanks for all the tips. I am more into money making so will prefer ads based hosting.

Forum posting could generate income. If you have an AdBot in your forum, you WILL make something. If you have a popular site, use CPM advertising... it works.
C

Forum posting could generate income. If you have an AdBot in your forum, you WILL make something. If you have a popular site, use CPM advertising... it works.
C
As I've said, you would need a good plan for that. Ads would be better if you're just starting out and don't have a good source of income.

I view forums with suspicion. If the provider decides to move on, all that value vanishes.

Forums also suffer from a serious critical mass problem. Your first 50 sequential users will see a blank forum and realize posting there is worthless because *everyone* has a forum and no one shares credit.

Topics like this make me feel that the industry is still shaking out.

Back