• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Equipment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we'll see the CPU's every truly top off. They usually go as far as the material allows them to and when they can no longer make things smaller then they'll have to find another way to handle things.

Personally I'm anxious to test drive one of these Pentium Itanium processors. :)

when transistors are at their smallest, there will be the fastest CPU. of course, if you want faster, you'll need a bigger motherboard.

http://www.techtv.com/news/computing/story/0,24195,3312201,00.html

Interesting video if you have the bandwidth to watch it. It's off to the right where it says "TechTV News Explores Nanotechnology".

I won't even pretend to know how fast they will top out at because I'd just be wrong anyway. :) The question is how fast does the consumer need them to be? Once it's no longer profitable for companies to give us even more power then the market will take a hit. Right now the top CPU's are really only needed for businesses and gamers and gaming won't always demand the top end specs for the best performance.

It will become so fast you can't even tell a difference because your eyes can't see it and you won't need to upgrade anymore. But the companies will continue and continue to put out new speeds.

That's true in terms of video cards and games but it doesn't impact servers or data processing machines. That's why I feel the only market at some stage will be the businesses, unless they find a way to take advantage of the power.

There's always people who are going to add superfluous options and extras into their software. Check out MacOS X -- you don't need transparent windows, or windows that morph genie style into a dock, but they look cool and people like that kind of thing.

Additionally, when you look at the software market, they are releasing products to edit movies on your PC, better compression techniques that require more computing power, and all sorts of power hungy apps. It's right though that lots of people just want to do email and word processing -- and those people can just use a very basic and low-powered computer.

Perhaps at some point there will be a time when the quickness totally outpaces the addition of new features. I don't think it's anytime in the near future though.

-mk

HUGE BUMP (Nah, joking.)

I'm turning this into a general tech thread: IE, what tech do you have? You don't have to list your computer specs, because we already have a thread for that.

Me? I have a Canon PIXMA MP190 Printer, A Wireless-N Router from Linksys and a Hannspree HF199H monitor!

Go!

HUGE BUMP (Nah, joking.)

I'm turning this into a general tech thread: IE, what tech do you have? You don't have to list your computer specs, because we already have a thread for that.

Me? I have a Canon PIXMA MP190 Printer, A Wireless-N Router from Linksys and a Hannspree HF199H monitor!

Go!

This is why he have a computers forum

/thread.

HUGE BUMP (Nah, joking.)

Go!

SOMEDAY I WILL KILL YOU (Nah, joking.)

Seriously, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back