• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Equipment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by stu
it can be argued from many different scenarios, but each scenario is different.
Correct. That's why I was trying to discuss utilization because if the system is faster from every regard other then the hard drive he was using his hard drive more intensively then using the faster aspects of his system so if it was a bottleneck he was creating it by not optimizing the rest of the system.

Generally the ram is the key but if you only needed disk utilization for database entries where everything has to be stored permanently then the drive could be more of a bottleneck but in terms of a workstation I'd bet money the problem was the ram.

For the CPUs, there are many performance factors to be considered (eg: clock speed, IPC, ALU, FPU,# stages in pipeline,etc) as well as the ISA.. but since we're dealing with memory, then i'll just stick to cache..

Obviously, the size of L1 and L2 cache which is why we have Xeons with 1MB of 2MB L2 caches for workstations and servers.. The speed of the cache, whether the L2 cache is running at full or half the core speed. The faster the better. This is why we have moved Pentium 3 Katmai (512KB off-die cache running at half processor speed) to the Pentium 3 Coppermine (256KB on-die cache running at full processor speed).. This is similar for Athlon classic to Athlon Thunderbird.. Width of the data path to the cache and the cache associtivity are other factors, but that's going to get really deep into it.

Looking at benchmarks at many hardware enthusiast sites is the easiest way to compare cpu performance in various applications..

To me Ram is ram, and a computer is a computer (mostly.)

I do not want to start an argument, much less make someone mad, but why must certain people be so argumentative :confused:

Okay believe in what you want to believe in, but I still know the bottleneck is the hard drive, and don't, I repeat don't skimp on the hard drive or your machine will be a piece of crap, respectively.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
Okay believe in what you want to believe in, but I still know the bottleneck is the hard drive, and don't, I repeat don't skimp on the hard drive or your machine will be a piece of crap, respectively.

The hard drive is incredibly important so I agree with you. My main argument was that you said your computer was slower then your father’s computer which was faster in every regard other then the hard drive from the way you made it sound. That shouldn't be so if he is optimizing his ram usage.

The main reason I got in to it is only because I wanted to clarify that Crucial didn't treat you badly when you went to get a return or anything like that but if you never returned it you really can't blame them for anything. I've received many pieces of faulty hardware in my day and you never see the true side of a vendor until you ask for that return or even exchange. That was my main reason for inquiring.

Properly used ram is your best friend. :)

OMG, you still are going on about the ram. A defragmented and optimized hard drive is the most important element in a fast computer. My Computer has a faster hard drive and CPU, but as I know the CPU doesn't make much a different if it weren't for the Random Access time on the hard drive. I said my computer was faster and still is, despite having 128MB less ram than my dad's computer who has a ram drive set up.

The Problem is with Crucial is I got two PC100 64MB Sticks both were faulty in a row... and you think I would want to get another faulty stick? Go with Kingston, I purchased PC66 from them a long time ago.

Last edited:
The Problem is with Crucial is I got two PC100 64MB Sticks both were faulty in a row... and you think I would want to get another faulty stick? Go with Kingston, I purchased PC66 from them a long time ago.

I've already covered my logic of bypassing the hard drive and utilizing your ram and it is much faster. I realize that most people will use the hard drive instead because it's more standard but I'll let that issue lie with the end user.

Regarding the Crucial ram if it is faulty they will replace it free of charge. I don't know why you would keep the faulty ram rather then returning it but they are a good company. I've used Kingston before as well and I have no complaints there either but you can't be to upset at Crucial when you never took the first step to get replacements. They had no way of knowing that it wasn't working in your system so as far as they are concerned your a happy customer until you say otherwise.

changing the subject for a moment since all the tech's are here..

I've got my AMD 1GHz machine (lots of RAM and a nice HD :)) running Me :(

I'm trying to install a network card but it's not happy with it. I've tried 2 different cards and even with win98 but with no luck.

I can install/use them on my old machine 233 pentium II, win 98 no problem

anyone know what the problem/solution is? I imagine it's something to do with the AMD chip but I may well be wrong

the cards websites were not much help

what are your system specs? CPU, ram, motherboard, and any other cards that you have in your system, model of network card?

Are there drivers out for the card on their site? Did Windows ME have drivers for it already on the CD?

Can you give us the name of the manufacturer and the model number?

I'm not sure what problem your having exactly but it's best to start at the drivers and move on from there.

If I start with the one that is

unex NDO12C
Approved by Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows ME

I'm not sure if there is a difference between approved by (they like it) and approved for (it'll work on it)

http://www.unex-tech.com/products/adapters/nd012c/index.html

the drivers are preloaded with ME plus I may have downloaded ones off their site as well just to be sure

It loads the drivers OK say's it's working OK in the cp/system

but if I go to network places (such a horrid name) I see nothing. all the network settings for windows seem OK

If you have the drivers installed and that's working it's probably your protocols or settings.

A good forum for starting:
http://www.sharkyforums.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Networks+|AMP|+Networking&number=9&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

Looks like this thread may apply to you "Network Settings Please Help!" it's in the first page (or at least was when this was posted).

There was a really nice site to show people how to set up a network with screen shots along the way but I can't find it any more. If I can find it I'll post the URL.

thanx,

I'm usually OK with these things but this has been nagging me for a while. I really must get it sorted out sometime soon :(

I posted a msg in their forum but they never reply.. if they do they dont reply with good answers

Windows Me has a bug and sometimes deletes some files crucial for the network card. A friend of mine had a similar problem and couldn't find the solution for weeks. He found the answer at http://www.computing.net and I found many answers there also. (by searching other people's problems, not by posting myself).
If its not the operating system, the second thing you should consider is your motherboard. Maybe there is a bug there or a conflict of some kind.

OMG, you still are going on about the ram. A defragmented and optimized hard drive is the most important element in a fast computer. My Computer has a faster hard drive and CPU, but as I know the CPU doesn't make much a different if it weren't for the Random Access time on the hard drive. I said my computer was faster and still is, despite having 128MB less ram than my dad's computer who has a ram drive set up.

Some people just never get it.

Todd... that must've been real tiresome, 'cause it took me a while to read you and Giancarlo's "debate". Well, I wouldn't really call it a debate. From what I read, Giancarlo was being stubborn about his point of view but gave no real proof to back it up. I doubt he actually looked at any of Todd's posts closely enough. Or maybe he doesn't quite understand what Todd's trying to say.

And yes, this is just my opinion. I may be wrong, Giancarlo, so please don't give me any of your weird excuses (reasons) or threaten me with federal law rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back