• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

End of a good host...4gigs.com

I went with Solid Internet in the end and the hosting has been great. :)

I remember the notice on the 4gigs homepage, well over a year ago now, said something about it becoming a stock photo site or something like that. Does anyone know if that ever happened (maybe at a different address)?

hi maccrazy,

well 4gigs.com is now part of OCS. if you click on it it will go to their pricing menu. well as for me i have a OCS acct since they gave me a good deal since i was @ 4gigs. but i will say that 4gigs was gr8 but i think every1 that was there knew it was going to happen since ppl spamed(lost mail) hacked 4gigs(lost PERL) and then their server chrashed and OCS(who owned 4gigs) pulled the plug on 4gigs. though they said ne1 that was a former 4gigs member could join for a low rate which is nice since i got to stay @ where i like and now i got a domain name for 8 bucks form them. :) so im happy since it like being w/4gigs(only that its like 4gigs paid)

amazed with this post appear on the 1st page of free webspace
:p
now, i have turned into paid hosting already.

hmmmmmmm

My 4gigs account vanished with all my perl scripts.

I never got one email nor ever saw the messageboard up again to even ask anything.

well their home page had that message. as you know they never emailed you evebn when the server went down you have to be on the forums and look at the pages.

but i think at one point in time if your really into programming you will go with a paid acct if you want the best(IE: php,mysql,asp,perl,ect) i think the free accts like a plsace for beginners or amatures to make sites and if they really love it(like me) they get a paid acct which gives them more power than ever with no ads and get a domain name. but there really should be more free accts that as good as the paid but that will never since technology made it possible to send money via internet. but @ 1 time free accts were as good as the paid 1s.

i remember tripod gave you 50mb and only a pop-up now they give 20mb and a pop-up AND banner. the world of free web hosting is diying and soon it will be gone or very crappy.but i will say if i ever get my own server i will give free accts to any1 who wants it.

Last edited:
There wont be a day when all free host wil die. There are alot out there, but sadly everyone is expecting the world from them. That's the problem.

well there are alot right now but many if not all of them have banner ads that annoy visitors,down time and low features. now i know its free and you a shouldnt expect alot but soon these cheapy places will be costing money.

for example homestead was a very good place for beginners. heck i started my 1st site there but they ended there free service since it costed too much to do and there are a few other places that are doing that as well. so yes its here now but tomorrow, who knows.

the only real way to get a good host is know a friend or someone who will give you a good acct on their server.

Last edited:
hmm they look good but how good r they? i was at a place that gave me 150MB 5BG transfer and it wasnt as good as it is where i am. though it was free but i do know some paid services that give low rate support and down time. but they look good.

but 300mb is a little too much for me. really, who needs 300mb for a personal site? 50-100 is optimual for personal sites. now if your making a business site then 300mb comes in handy :)

i think ill stay @ where i am. but they look good if i ever decided to move to a new spot.

Hmm, you can ask around, Verohost is famous for reliabilty.Yeah, you're rite, personal sites dont need 300mb, but i was comparing the price. With Verohost your get 300mb for USD5 and with Ocs Solutions you get 75MB for USD5.

Anyway, i am not promoting Verohost. Just to show that some hosts like Ocs Solutions are very expensive(also maybe a ripoff).

I use verohost for one of my sites I designed and manage and I have been more than happy with them. Cheap, reliable, and no complaints.

Back