• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dell computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by trenzterra
Is this good or bad deal:

dell dimension 8200 intel p4 2.8ghz with mini tower
512mb (2x256) memory pc800 rdram
64mb ddr nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 w/dvi and tv-out
1.44mb 3.5"
dell quietkey keyboard
logitech optical usb mouse
15" lcd flat panels
80gb ultra ATA 7200rpm hdd
winxp pro
firewire
48x cdrw with easy cd creator
sound blaster live
10/100 pci (forgot what brand) network card
harman/kardon speakers with subwoofer (woof! woof!)
56k data fax modem

SGD$4305

just bring $4300 to your local computer store. I bet you can get a way better deal on a pc then dell.. If you get a brand name pc and something happens.. chances are you going to have to spend money to send it to them and have them fix it. so if you buy it from your local pc store, something happens just bring it to them.. unless you live at the middle of nowhere. i guess you could go with dell.

"64mb ddr nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 w/dvi and tv-out" $220
what brand is that? i seem it for no more than $200, it really doesn't matter what brand as long its comes with 3 year warrenty with manufactor.

"sound blaster live" $79
is to old. I have the sound blaster augidy (not external one), bought it 4 months ago. which i believe is till the newest sound card by creative.

"80gb ultra ATA 7200rpm hdd" $109
which brand? lucky my pc store still have old stock of 80 WD Hd before they made the change till 1 year warrenty. So I still 3 year warrenty :D . but i thnk you can pay $20 thru westerndigtial.com for extra 2 years

"firewire"
sound blaster audigy comes with 1 firmwire. and you probably won't even use it. so why have them 4 of those on a pci slot.

"15 lcd" $550
good for saving electricity, but heard its not good for gaming.

"56k data fax modem" $25
doesn't matter what brand since i guess you probably going to use broadband. even if you get the cheapest modem like what i got "Aopen" still will work fine for a long time.

"dell dimension 8200 intel p4 2.8ghz with mini tower"
why get p4? get athlon xp and get the ATX case. you will end up saving at least $150-$200 and XP is shown to be faster then p4.
And about the P4 being more stable.. that is a bunch a BS computer stores use to get you to Buy the P4 ended up you paying more.

"512mb (2x256) memory pc800 rdram"
dont' know how much this cost, know it cost way more than ddr and hard to find. 512mb ddr cost around $110-$170 depending on the ram.

10/100 pci (forgot what brand) network card ($10)
doesn't matter what brand you buy, they all work perfectly. bought a dlink for $10

"dell quietkey keyboard
logitech optical usb mouse"
maybe its the same keyboard as the one i use in school has no internet function. get the logitch keyboard mouse combo. cordless optical mouse and cordless keyboard. keyboard has kinda like quietkeys, expect for the space bar, $100

"48x cdrw with easy cd creator"
they probably going to give you some cheap oem cdrw
you can just get the better cdrw for $120. and it comes with nero or easy cd creator software. depending on the brand you buy. unless you watn to get a dvd rw which is like $300.

never seen or heard of it. I got the inspire 5.1 5700 paid around $230 comes with controller and box thing.

Don't know if you going to read all this. or even gonna look at this at all. but I think i did give you good reason not to go with dell.. the prices may be different, depending where you live.

Trenz was talking Singapore Dollars

4,305 Singapore Dollar (SGD) = 2,415.28 US Dollar (USD)

actually I changed a little on my config a while back. Now here it is:

dell dimension 8200 intel p4 2.8ghz with mini tower
512mb (2x256) memory pc800 rdram
64mb ddr nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 w/dvi and tv-out
1.44mb 3.5"
dell quietkey keyboard
logitech optical usb mouse
19" crt
80gb ultra ATA 7200rpm hdd
winxp pro
firewire
48x cdrw with roxio easy cd creator
16x dvd
turtle beach santa cruz dsp sound card
10/100 pci fast ethernet NIC
harman/kardon speakers with subwoofer
56k data fax modem

SGD$4242

hey trenz, i suggest you try finding a better video card for your pc. On a high end computer like that, it's better to go for a geforce4 ti4600 or a radeon 9700, top of the line card.
Another suggestion: BUY YOUR OWN CD BURNER. Dell is sure to give you some cheap branded burner for the price of a tdk or cendyne, so might as well go out and buy your own, AND get nero bundled software with it.
By the way, I think Dell uses Western Digital Caviar hard drives for 80gig if you wanted to know.
Bottom line: Get only what is necessary and install the rest yourself.

Originally posted by raz0r00

just bring $4300 to your local computer store. I bet you can get a way better deal on a pc then dell.. If you get a brand name pc and something happens.. chances are you going to have to spend money to send it to them and have them fix it. so if you buy it from your local pc store, something happens just bring it to them.. unless you live at the middle of nowhere. i guess you could go with dell.

"64mb ddr nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 w/dvi and tv-out" $220
what brand is that? i seem it for no more than $200, it really doesn't matter what brand as long its comes with 3 year warrenty with manufactor.

"sound blaster live" $79
is to old. I have the sound blaster augidy (not external one), bought it 4 months ago. which i believe is till the newest sound card by creative.

"80gb ultra ATA 7200rpm hdd" $109
which brand? lucky my pc store still have old stock of 80 WD Hd before they made the change till 1 year warrenty. So I still 3 year warrenty :D . but i thnk you can pay $20 thru westerndigtial.com for extra 2 years

"firewire"
sound blaster audigy comes with 1 firmwire. and you probably won't even use it. so why have them 4 of those on a pci slot.

"15 lcd" $550
good for saving electricity, but heard its not good for gaming.

"56k data fax modem" $25
doesn't matter what brand since i guess you probably going to use broadband. even if you get the cheapest modem like what i got "Aopen" still will work fine for a long time.

"dell dimension 8200 intel p4 2.8ghz with mini tower"
why get p4? get athlon xp and get the ATX case. you will end up saving at least $150-$200 and XP is shown to be faster then p4.
And about the P4 being more stable.. that is a bunch a BS computer stores use to get you to Buy the P4 ended up you paying more.

"512mb (2x256) memory pc800 rdram"
dont' know how much this cost, know it cost way more than ddr and hard to find. 512mb ddr cost around $110-$170 depending on the ram.

10/100 pci (forgot what brand) network card ($10)
doesn't matter what brand you buy, they all work perfectly. bought a dlink for $10

"dell quietkey keyboard
logitech optical usb mouse"
maybe its the same keyboard as the one i use in school has no internet function. get the logitch keyboard mouse combo. cordless optical mouse and cordless keyboard. keyboard has kinda like quietkeys, expect for the space bar, $100

"48x cdrw with easy cd creator"
they probably going to give you some cheap oem cdrw
you can just get the better cdrw for $120. and it comes with nero or easy cd creator software. depending on the brand you buy. unless you watn to get a dvd rw which is like $300.

never seen or heard of it. I got the inspire 5.1 5700 paid around $230 comes with controller and box thing.

Don't know if you going to read all this. or even gonna look at this at all. but I think i did give you good reason not to go with dell.. the prices may be different, depending where you live.
1. I don't use much gaming, so something not onboard and 64mb will be already good for me.

2. Well read my newer config.

3. I don't know which brand. Probably not IBM I hope. Well something more than 40gb i'll be more than contented

4. Standby

5. I'm getting 19" crt now, hopefully it can display a better resolution but some damn dell people say its 1024x768 but i read the documents it said 1600x1200 or something.

6. Yeah, I'm using ADSL, that's for standby in case ADSL screws up.

7. Dell doesn't sell Athlon XP.

8. SGD$557 more expensive than the 128MB RDRAM

9. Yup, so long as it works and lasts, it's fine with me. My modem uses ethernet port so I need it.

10. Well all these are coming with my computer. Some brands aren't quiet keyboards. It has some basic functions, of course. Logitech should be better than my current Samsung Optic Mini.

11. It's gonna be on a spare drive and so long as it can be used, I'm happy. I've never used one before.

12. Well I've never seen or heard of it either. Surely it's better than my current laptop speaker?

1. I don't use much gaming, so something not onboard and 64mb will be already good for me.

2. Well read my newer config.

3. I don't know which brand. Probably not IBM I hope. Well something more than 40gb i'll be more than contented

4. Standby

5. I'm getting 19" crt now, hopefully it can display a better resolution but some damn dell people say its 1024x768 but i read the documents it said 1600x1200 or something.

6. Yeah, I'm using ADSL, that's for standby in case ADSL screws up.

7. Dell doesn't sell Athlon XP.

8. SGD$557 more expensive than the 128MB RDRAM

9. Yup, so long as it works and lasts, it's fine with me. My modem uses ethernet port so I need it.

10. Well all these are coming with my computer. Some brands aren't quiet keyboards. It has some basic functions, of course. Logitech should be better than my current Samsung Optic Mini.

11. It's gonna be on a spare drive and so long as it can be used, I'm happy. I've never used one before.

12. Well I've never seen or heard of it either. Surely it's better than my current laptop speaker?

o didn't know you live in singapore. don't know the hardware there. cause one of my friend told me when he when to china, PII was the average system that everyone was using. In the U.S the average system is PIII.

So the best is to go with western digital hard drive. only come with one year.. but you can just pay $20 USD thru westerndigital.com for extra 2 years warrenty, its worth it. since IBM,Seagate only offer 1 year.

don't get any of these video cards
"geforce4 ti4600 or a radeon 9700,"
they cost way to much. since you really don't play game much just get a geforce 4 mx 440 is good enough. its really cheap ($75), not top of the line of course. but ok for gaming and movies, it does have a tv out.
geforce 4ti4600 $300+
geforce 4 ti 4200 $200+ bestvalue my opinion
radeon 9700 (top of the line) $400+

any speakers are better than onboard speakers, try not to get monitors that come with a "onboard" speaker.

BTW if you didn't know that, now motherboards come with "onboard" soundcards

I find rdram a waste of money and is hella hard to find...

And the Athlon XP is better in perfomance than the p4 and it's cheaper.

Originally posted by Daniel
I find rdram a waste of money and is hella hard to find...

And the Athlon XP is better in perfomance than the p4 and it's cheaper.

Um, didn't i already said that!;)

Um, didn't i already said that!;)

Repeatition is the best way to learn! ;)

Seriously though, Trenz, it's much better to go to your local computer store(they most likely build computers aswell). Otherwise, the moment your computer brakes down, you'll have to send it to Dell, wait 3-4 weeks and then get it fixed just to have it broken again. :rolleyes:

Atleast with local computer stores, they should be able to fix things the same day.

Seriously though, Trenz, it's much better to go to your local computer store(they most likely build computers aswell). Otherwise, the moment your computer brakes down, you'll have to send it to Dell, wait 3-4 weeks and then get it fixed just to have it broken again. :rolleyes:

Atleast with local computer stores, they should be able to fix things the same day.

I already said that too!! ;)

my local computer store is worst than Dell. I bought it from them the first day, the next they spoil

my local computer store is worst than Dell. I bought it from them the first day, the next they spoil

yes that is what local stores are like. thats why they often come with 1 year warrenty. I had to bring my system to them over 8 times during the first month when i bought the computer. after that it problem free. cause i know they been giving me used hardware or hardware they used for testing. thats why system was so cheap, and brake down all the time.. but after all the complains... they end up giving me new stuff.

You have to send stuff back to Dell for them to fix it? Whenever I've had a problem with my computer, HP's always sent a technician out to me. No more than 24 hours wait, unless it's the weekend, then no more than 72. When my first UPS went nuts and fried the motherboard, HP sent a guy out with a replacement, he put it in, fixed whatever else needed fixing, and left in no more than 12 hours-- and I live in the absolute middle of nowhere.

I don't know why everyone always badmouths HP, I like 'em. Much better than NEC and IBM, the only two others I've dealt with.

As to my (semi-) local computer store, I wouldn't suggest visiting them if you're ever in town. Steve doesn't know the difference between a CD-ROM and a toaster; I'm sure any computer he builds is going to be a fire hazard-- unless he just buys them from Wal-Mart and peels off the price tag.

yes that is what local stores are like. thats why they often come with 1 year warrenty. I had to bring my system to them over 8 times during the first month when i bought the computer. after that it problem free. cause i know they been giving me used hardware or hardware they used for testing. thats why system was so cheap, and brake down all the time.. but after all the complains... they end up giving me new stuff.
Oh well they say "there isn't a damn problem with you pc".

Originally posted by Dusty
I don't know why everyone always badmouths HP, I like 'em.
If you're not ever gonna upgrade the machine yourself, then sure, they're fine. The things about all of the large manufacturers is that they use proprietary power supplies and motherboards with a stripped-down BIOS. If your power supply dies, you can't just go and pick one up, you have to order it specially from the manufacturer of the PC... smae with motherboards, etc. Those are really the only bad points to pre-built systems. If all you plan on ever doing is upgrading the RAM, or perhaps a new(er) CDRW or soemthing, then it should be fine, otherwise they lack upgradeability (is that even a word?).

Oh well they say "there isn't a damn problem with you pc".

um.. when there is a problem. I am pretty sure you suppose to show them what the problem is. but I guess you got a refund. so just go to another pc store.

um.. when there is a problem. I am pretty sure you suppose to show them what the problem is. but I guess you got a refund. so just go to another pc store.
No i didn't. So I'll have to live with it.

Originally posted by Dusty
You have to send stuff back to Dell for them to fix it? Whenever I've had a problem with my computer, HP's always sent a technician out to me. No more than 24 hours wait, unless it's the weekend, then no more than 72. When my first UPS went nuts and fried the motherboard, HP sent a guy out with a replacement, he put it in, fixed whatever else needed fixing, and left in no more than 12 hours-- and I live in the absolute middle of nowhere.

You think they have that kind of service in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back