• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dell computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trenzterra

NLC
I want to buy my first desktop (I've been living on a laptop all these years), a Dell PC next year when i move house.

Are Dell PCs reliable?

What else do you recommend?

Beeing an ex-Dell'er, I'll tell you a couple things about my old system.

1. It was nicely packed when I got it.
2. It was easy to install, even I never touched to a computer in my life
3. (I 1st used Paint to write documents) :rolleyes:
4. All was good for about a year
5. Pouf! Windows crashed "invalid disk, please remove and retry error"
6. I call dell's service support, they tell me to use zztop.bat to restore my drive, did that, worked fine.
7. Windows 98 came out, got it free from dell as a Free Windows 98 upgrade thingy they were having when I bought the PC.
8. I installed and aand everything stopped working. : modem, dvd drive, dvd decoder card, and so on.
9. I call dell tech support and ask what to do. I tell them I try to reinstall my modem, but the drivers dont work and I cant dial up, sometimes its not well connected and blabla. They say " open up the case, find the modem, take it out, oh and this voids your waranty, and we cant help further" The guy was very rude to me, didnt even tell me how to open the case and how a modem looks like....
10. I did it, voided my waranty, but my stupid modem didnt start working. Took me like 2 weeks to finally figure out what was wrong and download new drivers for the rest of the non-working things. That was the last time I called dell support.

After that I had some usual windows crashes, had to reformat 3 or 4 times. No problems whatsoever after.

So for a little sumary:

- Good Parts:

Great packaging
Great computers
Solid construction
Superior componements
Nice case design
Easy to upgrade (no stupid onboard mobo's)
Excellent monitors included (Sony Trinitron's)
The computer I bought 6 years ago still works strong with hardware problems at all.

- Bad Parts:

Below average customer service

Last edited:
how long did dell take to respond?

is there any telephone support?

Because I may use it due to my current experience with my acer computer where the idiotic technicians still cannot repair my laptop problem even having sending it to service centre once.

What computer brand are you using now? Is it better than Dell?

Also why everything stop working? Is it because of driver compatibility?

Originally posted by trenzterra
how long did dell take to respond?

is there any telephone support?

Because I may use it due to my current experience with my acer computer where the idiotic technicians still cannot repair my laptop problem even having sending it to service centre once.

What computer brand are you using now? Is it better than Dell?

Also why everything stop working? Is it because of driver compatibility?
It took them about 4-5 minutes to reply to my phone call <- Good
Yes, telephone support is standart. If I were you I'd get on-site service, but I don't know if its available in singapore.
I'm using a Dell laptop now. No problems at all, didnt have to call even once.
Yes, It was a driver/hardware issue, where I had to change my modem's PCI slot so it fully works.

So you mean dell is probably a good buy? Then in what ways support isn't good?

I was wondering whether dell has the option of including extra ram at request?

Dell does't use middlemans right?

Is there delivery service or something?

Is there delivery service or something?
Yeah, it's called UPS... I dunno what you guys have over there htough... :confused2

Dell does't use middlemans right?

I think they all do, but all have the option to buy from them (except Acer, I called them asking if they had any 300mhz/32mb sdram laptops lying around and they said i'd have to ask their vendors).

Correct me if I'm wrong.:chinese2:

I didnt, I built mine myself. I was just looking for old laptops to put OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Linux on so I don't have to partition my hard drive.

Originally posted by Ben

I think they all do, but all have the option to buy from them (except Acer, I called them asking if they had any 300mhz/32mb sdram laptops lying around and they said i'd have to ask their vendors).

Correct me if I'm wrong.:chinese2:
Acer has middlemans!

I don't think Dell has come to think of it.

I remember their advertisement say that we pay less by cutting off the middleman.

I checked with them its S$75 for a desktop and S$60 for a notebook. Not really cheap eh.

Trenz, are you really that incapable of building your own computer? My 12 year-old brother works for my dad and builds computers...

Only thing is, he hasn't fried a motherboard yet. :D

Do you guys always buy branded PC's?
Yes. I'd much rather have someone else do it for me than for me to have to do it myself. All would be well buying a nice branded computer, were it not for the occasional strike. Damned longshoremen. Closest I've ever come to building a computer was installing memory. I am A+ certified, though-- scary thought, that is.

I considered Dell when purchasing the computer I'm waiting for to arrive now, but with its higher cost and horrifically annoying advertising, I opted against it and stuck with HP, who I've always bought from and never had any problem with.

UPS is pretty much everywhere (UPS Singapore), but my happy little HP will arrive via Federal Express, if anyone ever gets around to taking it off the boat.

If you don't have the knowledge or time or patience or whatever to build a machine, then so be it, but I just can't recommend buying from a latge manufacturer such as Dell, Gateway, or HP-Compaq. They used teh cheapest parts possible, yet they charge you an amr and a leg. Sure, they provide decent support, but who actually uses the support anyway?

If you want a pre-built system, I'd recommend a pc parts retailer who will assemble your chosen parts for a few bucks. I know http://directron.com does this, and there must be at least a few others as well. Of course this wouldn't be a great solution if you don't live in the states, but I would think there would be some similar shops or something in Eurasia.

Trenz, I'm pretty sure you can find a local-retailer somewhere that will sell you unbranded computers.

Originally posted by Daniel
Trenz, are you really that incapable of building your own computer? My 12 year-old brother works for my dad and builds computers...

Only thing is, he hasn't fried a motherboard yet. :D
My parents won't bring me to the building (sim lim square) that sell the parts.

Dell says I can configure my own system!

Trenz, don't let anyone call you incapable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a pre-built PC.

If you're going to buy one you won't find a better company to buy them from than Dell.

Nothing wrong with letting someone do the work for you, not to mention warranties are nice.;)

Last edited:
If you would be kind enough to go to www.dell.com.sg to go to the configuration page ofthe dimension 8200, what do you think is the recommended configuration for a budget of SG$4000?

I went there and configured one with what I would call the "works" for 3,986 SG.

Take a long look at what you're missing out on with your laptop and what you would improve upon with it. You'll find most of those aspects apply to any desktop.

Does it have enough RAM?
Do you wish the screen were larger?
Are you cramped for hard drive space?
Do you want a CD RW & DVD?

For me neither of my PCs have enough RAM. I could always use some more. I would want *at least* 512MB. One of my systems has 1GB and at times I still think that's not enough. :D

In the end you're the one who has to be happy with it. :)

what did you select for me?

i configured one at $4300

i'm happy with 512mb ram.

Last edited:
Is this good or bad deal:

dell dimension 8200 intel p4 2.8ghz with mini tower
512mb (2x256) memory pc800 rdram
64mb ddr nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 w/dvi and tv-out
1.44mb 3.5"
dell quietkey keyboard
logitech optical usb mouse
15" lcd flat panel
80gb ultra ATA 7200rpm hdd
winxp pro
firewire
48x cdrw with easy cd creator
sound blaster live
10/100 pci (forgot what brand) network card
harman/kardon speakers with subwoofer (woof! woof!)
56k data fax modem

SGD$4305

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back