• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cpanel vs Directadmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can unanimously agree that cPanel is the best

And which planet do you come from that they say that? I know this forum is about 50/50 with Direct Admin and cPanel for opinions.

I like DirectAdmin better, but cPanel has some fetures that DirectAdmin does not. There is only one cPanel option that DirectAdmin does not have that I used, and it's not a biggie.
The biggest problem with DirectAdmin is finding a host with it :lol:

i would say the same thing with Schmarvin, 50/50

cPanel win on features, but suck lots of resources
DA win on using very low resources and it loads very very fast, but it lose on features compare to cPanel.

this is y, 50/50

i would say the same thing with Schmarvin, 50/50

cPanel win on features, but suck lots of resources
DA win on using very low resources and it loads very very fast, but it lose on features compare to cPanel.

this is y, 50/50

Can you give us some examples of the lost features?.

lets say, rvskin....
cpanel got side navigation, directadmin dun have
cpanel got FrontPage Extensions, directadmin dun have
cpanel got Branding feature, directadmin dun have

directadmin load fast, cpanel load less fast than directadmin
etc.....

Front Page development was discontinued in 06 and is no longer supported, DA does not include this outdated software in any of their new builds. I have noticed a growing trend among CPanel host that disable this feature. Why Cpanel continues to offer this in their new builds is beyond me.

The DA skin that comes by default can be changed giving you a side navigation if you choose. The included skins do not.

DA does not have a built in branding manager, you could make your own skin and upload that to use.

RV Skins is a 3rd party CPanel skin manager, I wouldn't expect it to work with DA as I wouldn't expect my honda spark plugs to work in my Chevy.

I believe that for the end user which at the same time new to the web hosting world that does not matter really. It should contain some basic kit of tools and that's it

I agree. I just thought CS Squad had no idea what he was talking about.

I agree. I just thought CS Squad had no idea what he was talking about.

when i talk, i do think before i talk
:)
i've been using DA and cPanel long enough to talk about something simple like wat this have and what that dun have, although i cannot say i am an "expert"

but to be honest, if 90% clients drop the mindset of only look for cPanel host and able accept DA, i will be happy to use DA for most of my new hosting packages.
at least i won't waste that much RAM and its price is cheaper.
:)

I prefer DirectAdmin, does everything I need, it's easy to use however the language support is missing, the main problem in my opinion, they should add more languages, spanish, german, french... for those interested, not only english (+1 Cpanel).

Cpanel is a heavy panel, the parked domains feature has not the mobility DirectAdmin has, (point the parked domain to any other domain on your accont, Cpanel is pointing the parked domain to the root, +1 DirectAdmin).

I prefer DirectAdmin, does everything I need, it's easy to use however the language support is missing, the main problem in my opinion, they should add more languages, spanish, german, french... for those interested, not only english (+1 Cpanel).

Cpanel is a heavy panel, the parked domains feature has not the mobility DirectAdmin has, (point the parked domain to any other domain on your accont, Cpanel is pointing the parked domain to the root, +1 DirectAdmin).

I suppose people who use it do know English and there is no problem to learn that.

I've used both cpanel and direct admin now(all thanks to tyler for the da ;) )
And i've been really impressed by da too .
Of course nothing can be taken away from cpanel but all of those who believe da isn't any good should definitely give it a try .
Seriously it's really good , with a neat interface and it works off my phone's browser without much trouble :)

Cpanel would take a lot longer to load on my phone .
Basically i didn't see almost any features missing from da that i had used with cpanel except a few like the add-on domain feature .
I also would like to see the sleek all in one interface of cpanel where every feature in cpanel can be accessed directly through the cpanel index page itself :)
Whereas in direct admin you have all features tucked into different categories .
To be true it had me puzzled in the beginning but after practicing for a couple days i have fallen for it :)
Besides it's also the cost which is a plus .

Guys , i don't mean to say cpanel isn't good , actually it is better for over 95% people who are first timers or aren't really well versed with web hosting so also excellent for the remaining 5% power users .

But if there's any control panel which can give any sorta competition to cpanel it can be nothing else than direct admin .

That's all i can say for now :D

Basically i didn't see almost any features missing from da that i had used with cpanel except a few like the add-on domain feature .

:D

The add on domain feature is called domain administration in DA. Unlike CPanel, every domain account created thru DA gets in own complete file structure, not a directory/subdomain off the main account. Each domain gets its own full DNS control with its own resources if you so choose. You can also delete any domain, including the main domain without effecting the others. You can also change your main (default) domain at anytime, reissue any domain without the need for the host.

In DA I can suspend an addon domain without effecting any of the other domains in the account.

Hi name pad :)
Thanks for the explanation . By the way i hear that add on domains is a separate plug-in for direct admin and not a standard feature(not sure though)
I'm also not sure i had that plug in installed , or maybe i had it but couldn't figure it out yet .
Nonetheless it's a truly great control panel and people shouldn't just stick to what traditionally was perfect .
There's more competition coming :)

It seems you are quiteb good in English. So I believe you have nothing to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back