• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cpanel vs Directadmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Althought this has been asked many many times before,

I prefer cPanel for its ease of use, I like the fact that it's a large, reliable and reputable company. This eases my mind about the long term potential of the product. And from my personal experience with it, it's always worked for me and never let me down.

Good stuff.

You are going to get a number of answers here for sure. But it will mostly be from those having experience with either of the panels. I would more like to see the opinions from those having experience with both the panels and a comparison between the two.

We use both but I prefer DirectAdmin. What I like about DA over Cpanel is that it is lighter, slimmer and uses less server resources. I'd like the fact that DA is not Intertwined into the server OS. An example would be that when Cpanel crashes so does the server not so with DA. I also like the true addon domain structure in DA. Cpanel shows the addon domain as a Directory (subdomain) of the main account. DA gives it a complete and isolated file structure not tied to the main account other than resource allotment. You can delete your main domain in DA and add it back in without creating the account over and you can use any domain as a default. I can do anything in DA that I can do in CPanel. It just a different way of doing it. My biggest gripe about DA is the file manager is a little weak compared to CPanel. Since I do not use the built in file managers in either it doesn't matter to me.

They are both good panels so it becomes a preference thing. If you are fairly new to managing your own server, then you probably should opt for CPanel as IMO it's the only advantage it has over DA.

We use both but I prefer DirectAdmin. What I like about DA over Cpanel is that it is lighter, slimmer and uses less server resources. I'd like the fact that DA is not Intertwined into the server OS. An example would be that when Cpanel crashes so does the server not so with DA. I also like the true addon domain structure in DA. Cpanel shows the addon domain as a Directory (subdomain) of the main account. DA gives it a complete and isolated file structure not tied to the main account other than resource allotment. You can delete your main domain in DA and add it back in without creating the account over and you can use any domain as a default. I can do anything in DA that I can do in CPanel. It just a different way of doing it. My biggest gripe about DA is the file manager is a little weak compared to CPanel. Since I do not use the built in file managers in either it doesn't matter to me.

They are both good panels so it becomes a preference thing. If you are fairly new to managing your own server, then you probably should opt for CPanel as IMO it's the only advantage it has over DA.

I agree and I couldn't have said that any better myself.:idea:

People like Cpanel. But I think if each customer has a choice that indeed will make your web hosting service more attractive for the potential users

They're both great control panels with their pros and cons, but I personally prefer cPanel if only because it's the more popular of the two. It certainly makes it easier to market. ;)

One of the major points that I loved about DA was the low resource usage in comparison with cPanel. It just felt a whole lot more responsive to use.

I deem you need to use what you are best at. You need to be guru for your prospective customers and you might have some difficulties with explaining things to the new customers. That at the very least will be not good sign for them ;)

I had the chance to use them both, and I prefer DirectAdmin. Unfortunately there are limited hosting company that provide them compared to cPanel.

Myself prefer DA than cPanel.
Coz myself prefer Debian than CentOS and cPanel do not run in Debian.

another thing I like about DA is it is much more lighter than cPanel like wat Namepad said.

But honestly, on features wise cPanel win, but I don't use most of those features.

And 1 more thing I like about DA is the price is cheaper than cPanel, lol.

But since most customers prefer cPanel, so using cPanel is necessary to get more customers, lol.

In my opinion, cPanel is the best user friendly control panel and have a lot of features integrated.
Not a coincidence that it is used by the most important Hosting Companies.

@HostMIX,
yeah, cPanel is very user friendly, this is 1 of the reason y it is so famous.
but for server owner, DA is much more economic,

hahahaha

Myself prefer DA than cPanel.
Coz myself prefer Debian than CentOS and cPanel do not run in Debian.

another thing I like about DA is it is much more lighter than cPanel like wat Namepad said.

But honestly, on features wise cPanel win, but I don't use most of those features.

And 1 more thing I like about DA is the price is cheaper than cPanel, lol.

But since most customers prefer cPanel, so using cPanel is necessary to get more customers, lol.

Just a note. We have more DirectAdmin users than CPanel users. You stated feature wise Cpanel would win. From an end user stand point, I already stated what an end user could do with DirectAdmin that you can not do with CPanel. What can you do in Cpanel that I cannot do with DA.

Now, if you are talking about the WHM part, sure then I would agree with you, assuming you needed that to help you manage a server. DA is a Control Panel only, it is not meant to run or manage your server.

Not a coincidence that it is used by the most important Hosting Companies.

What do you mean by the most important ? Do you really mean the popular or flavor of the month ones like hostgator ?

Do you really think big business sites use a cpanel server. It's also no coincidence that hosts that cater to big business do not use CPanel.

The so called "important companies" use their own or custom made solutions, not the commercial ones.

They are both good panels and have a place. I am glad there is more than one to choose from.

Just a note. We have more DirectAdmin users than CPanel users. You stated feature wise Cpanel would win. From an end user stand point, I already stated what an end user could do with DirectAdmin that you can not do with CPanel. What can you do in Cpanel that I cannot do with DA.

Now, if you are talking about the WHM part, sure then I would agree with you, assuming you needed that to help you manage a server. DA is a Control Panel only, it is not meant to run or manage your server.

yeah, i actually talk about both WHM and cPanel(end user).
:)

honestly, myself prefer host that using DA coz they server load will be much lower compare to those who using cPanel. but end users nowadays usually will as "are you running cPanel" which makes some hosting company hard to do business if only having DA alone.

this is y i have no choice but to choose cPanel with CentOS....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back