• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cable overhaul

iyeru42 said:
Well then, would they have a T3? Because that's what the army uses...

mmm, gigabits.

T3 is 45mbit a second. Which is 5.62MB/sec or 5620KB/sec. No where near a gigabit.

Well then, I guess everything I knew about servers here, including the UW's use of Apache for a server... eh?

Daniel said:
T3 is 45mbit a second. Which is 5.62MB/sec or 5620KB/sec. No where near a gigabit.

Actually OC48 hits the Gigabit mark, which is really dual OC12's.

T3/DS3's are copper still I believe.

iyeru42 said:
including the UW's use of Apache for a server
Must you use that annoyingly small font? I have to either click the edit or quote button on yoru posts just to read it. :confused2

I'm using SHAW Cable Internet. It costs about $30 / month for the second highest speed. Sometimes on my linux computer I can be downloading something at over 1 MBPS but it all depends. On average I get about 300 something / sec. The thing is the Internet comes with a basic Cable section. So that's nice :) Plus I have a TV Tuner card so I can watch Cable TV on my computer.

hottweelz said:
Actually OC48 hits the Gigabit mark, which is really dual OC12's.

T3/DS3's are copper still I believe.

Thanks, but no one here was talking about OC48s or fibre optics... :confused4

Daniel said:
Thanks, but no one here was talking about OC48s or fibre optics... :confused4

Really? I do believe I stated what the mininum install for a "gigabit" is on the WAN side, didn't I?

Someone mentioned a T3 was a gigabit. So in order to correct him, I simply pointed out that only Fiber will push gigabit levels, mininum, OC48's.

So who is no one? :confused4

fiber optics were just put into the grounds around Madison here in Wisconsin not too far back in time. In fact, the fiber optics were the reason why the sewage flooded and emptied into our basement and first floor of the apartment building.

ced said:
Is really ?

Yeah, I actually got that once. In fact, if you look in the confirguration of the dial-up modem, you can set the maximum speed to 115XXX or so bytes. Unfortunately, if you have a real smooth server that you connect to, it won't really go past 50 kbps, even if you have a v.92 Modem.

v.92 just means that the modem is made so that the speed is variable but more towards the maximum speed of the hardware.

iyeru42 said:
Yeah, I actually got that once. In fact, if you look in the confirguration of the dial-up modem, you can set the maximum speed to 115XXX or so bytes. Unfortunately, if you have a real smooth server that you connect to, it won't really go past 50 kbps, even if you have a v.92 Modem.

v.92 just means that the modem is made so that the speed is variable but more towards the maximum speed of the hardware.

That's your "throughput" you must always set your throughput to twice the amount of available bandwidth. That's an old dialup rule. You weren't getting 115,200. 57,600*2

hottweelz said:
Really? I do believe I stated what the mininum install for a "gigabit" is on the WAN side, didn't I?

Someone mentioned a T3 was a gigabit. So in order to correct him, I simply pointed out that only Fiber will push gigabit levels, mininum, OC48's.

So who is no one? :confused4

Ummm, reread the thread. No one said anything about fibre optics until you posted.

Also, a GigE can be used to push gigabit bandwidth, which is Ethernet.

Daniel said:
Ummm, reread the thread. No one said anything about fibre optics until you posted.

Also, a GigE can be used to push gigabit bandwidth, which is Ethernet.

WTF is your problem?

They mentioned Gigabit, so I mentioned FIBER, and genius, you re-read the thread, we're talking about WAN.

So again, for WAN Links, if you want gigabit, you need dual OC-12 or an OC48 FIBER Line. Thank you, goodbye, Install one, then argue with me.

hottweelz said:
WTF is your problem?

They mentioned Gigabit, so I mentioned FIBER, and genius, you re-read the thread, we're talking about WAN.

So again, for WAN Links, if you want gigabit, you need dual OC-12 or an OC48 FIBER Line. Thank you, goodbye, Install one, then argue with me.

Iyeru42 was under the impression that a T3 is 1 gigabit. I simply corrected them then you went on about fibre optics and crap.

And there are GigE wan links. I don't have to install one to tell you GigE wan link exists.

For those that don't know, all that a T1 is is copper. LOTS of it. You have a mux that selects 1 out of 24 channels to xmit data on (with electric pulses, not photons) and those 24 multiplexed gives you approximately 1.5Mbit both ways.

A T3 is a bunch of T1s multiplexed. It's huge and a big waste of copper. Galium Arsenide is what helps create fiber-optics, and, not so much like copper these days, is in large supply.

I get Direcway sattelite cable.

170mb transfer limit a day
768 down/128 up
really sucks
BT ports are kinda knocked out

I'm gonna knock out one of the 120mm fan ports in my computer case and ram a OC192 connection in the hole. I'll hard mod my Soyo I865PE motherboard to hardwire the connection in for direct FSB throroughput. Now thats pimpin :p.

heymrdj said:
I get Direcway sattelite cable.

170mb transfer limit a day
768 down/128 up
really sucks
BT ports are kinda knocked out

I'm gonna knock out one of the 120mm fan ports in my computer case and ram a OC192 connection in the hole. I'll hard mod my Soyo I865PE motherboard to hardwire the connection in for direct FSB throroughput. Now thats pimpin :p.
Transfer limit of 170mb? I'd be dead!

Back