• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cable overhaul

DarkBlood

NLC
NLC
Why do people use cable more often than us users of dial-up? Besides the point of faster connection? Because depending on the type of service you have via Dial-Up, your dial-up speed can go just as good as any cable/dsl/etc. service.

I used to get 159 Kbps per second on my 56k V92 modem. Two days straight that is. :p

Well anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions as always. Also, please make sure you factor in cost-wise things.

iyeru42 said:
Why do people use cable more often than us users of dial-up? Besides the point of faster connection?

"Besides the point of faster connection?"

... that is the main reason. You cant just hide it away like that.

Also, use phone & internet at same time is a nice reason.

Well, 768/128k DSL is only $15, so it's no more than what most dial-up costs.

The only people I know still using dial-up live out in the boonies.

Im on 512kps broadband, 15gb data transfer cap, it sticks, it lags and it costs $25 a month ($50 ish) feel free to laugh. Oh, and for phone conversations? Depends, if our £15($30) microfilters decide to work then, yes, we get phone conversations and interent, however these break every month or two.
Take my advice, if your in the U.K I recommend dial up.

iyeru42 said:
Because depending on the type of service you have via Dial-Up, your dial-up speed can go just as good as any cable/dsl/etc. service.

I used to get 159 Kbps per second on my 56k V92 modem.

Depending on what?

I get 30mbps on my Cable Modem.

Can you say 30mbps?

Yes 30.

159 on a 56k modem, is that possible? I know my cable modem is locked to some extent for the speed.

Bruce is correct, 53.3k is the max ... per FCC regulations. If a dial up provider exceeded 53.3k they would be breaking the law and I am sure there would be some hefty fines

hottweelz said:
Depending on what?

Can you say 30mbps?

Yes 30.

Who do you have? I've got Comcast's cable modem and I only get 3, 4 max.

hottweelz said:
Depending on what?

Can you say 30mbps?

Yes 30.
I have never gotten close to that. On occasion I have gotten 9.5 or 10 but its usually around 7 with roadrunner.

I did get 159 though, but that was because of a server problem. The University of Wisconsin nowadays has some crappy-arse servers... so I wasn't surprised.

needlehost -then you should have got DSL back in the day. (but I lkive in the USA.) Now, here you also get z-filter things. But when we got DSL in 2001, the tech split a line at the home connection box so we have DSL on one jack. No filter things.

we're paying £15/month for 2meg, free upgrade to 8meg in April.

Thats actually less than what we were paying for dial-up.

In australia, its still hell expensive for adsl. A pretty measly 512kb download and 128kb upload costs $50 per month (AUS). I cringe when I hear people with 20mb connections :p.

Man, I should not have brought this up in the first place... I should really think before I act.

<Posts a big post-it note on the thread saying...>

Keep your hands off,
This topic is not for kids*.

*May contain some references to DSL/Broadband you won't like.

X3r0X said:
In australia, its still hell expensive for adsl. A pretty measly 512kb download and 128kb upload costs $50 per month (AUS). I cringe when I hear people with 20mb connections :p.
Yes, but what's commercially known as adsl2+ in Australia which is 24000kb(24mbit) is cheaper or around the same price as 256kb. :\

Exactly. I'm not even sure if there are any dial-up providers around here anymore. Cable or DSL.

Back