• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Big Problems! (School Computers)

Brandon said:
If you don't mind getting expelled, you can do the following:
Boot into command prompt
Type format c:
Press y
Problem solved
:p

I did once, but that was on a 98 computer, which can still re-boot in MS-DOS Mode (Unlike our XPs) I wasn't expelled.

Go into powerpoint and browse for a design template. Your default location will be the PowerPoint folder in Application Data. You should then be able to move freely around C:. This doesn't work on any networked drives, as their controlled by a different entity.

iyeru42 said:
I did once, but that was on a 98 computer, which can still re-boot in MS-DOS Mode (Unlike our XPs) I wasn't expelled.
Actually, this will work by booting into "Safe Mode Command Prompt".

Tree said:
Go into powerpoint and browse for a design template. Your default location will be the PowerPoint folder in Application Data. You should then be able to move freely around C:. This doesn't work on any networked drives, as their controlled by a different entity.

That won't work, it'll give us students the message: "Cannot access ______ due to restrictions set by system adiminstrator."

Well this is just a if your interested fact, but anyway:

To browse your user permission scripts and see which .msi installers aren't blocked

Firstly, go into Windows Media Player. From there, select "Open" and you should be in "My Documents". If you are on a virtual drive like myself, it will allow you to keep going up and up until you are able to view the entire network. From there, select the host computer and navigate its files. You will eventually (if your on a network similar to mine) find the startup scripts, detailing how they set the permissions and what you have to alter in order to break it :).

Enjoy.

X3r0X said:
Well this is just a if your interested fact, but anyway:

To browse your user permission scripts and see which .msi installers aren't blocked

Firstly, go into Windows Media Player. From there, select "Open" and you should be in "My Documents". If you are on a virtual drive like myself, it will allow you to keep going up and up until you are able to view the entire network. From there, select the host computer and navigate its files. You will eventually (if your on a network similar to mine) find the startup scripts, detailing how they set the permissions and what you have to alter in order to break it :).

Enjoy.

Can't, even though we are on a Virtual Drive (J:\) J:\ is located in the My Computer, not in the Network places... and My Computer isn't listed on the drop down box when we open anything (on XP)

An example dropdown list is the following:
  • Floppy Drive (A:\)
  • My Documents (J:\docs)
  • Shared Files (S:\Students Shared Folder)*

And subfolders are listed after that.

*Note: We cannot put anything on the S:\*

Last edited:
Finally found something useful! C:\WINDOWS\progman.exe (or wherever it is in WinXP) still works! Hah, I got the Run Command now!

CMD says I cannot use the Command Prompt, and regedit.exe has been disabled as well.

Bruce said:
Of course I always keep a copy of Portable Firefox and even a copy of Damn Small Linux on my flash drive for those certain occasions. ;)

Boot DSL, access the Windows XP drive, and you can do some serious damage.

Tree said:
Create a shortcut with the target CMD.

Doesn't work, as I previously stated... when CMD opens it says "The Command Prompt has been disabled by the System Administrator. Press ENTER to close this window."

Fun, huh?

It doesn't work with any shortcut to CMD. Progman works though as I said.

Regedit.exe doesn't even work via Shortcut, neither does C:\, C:\WINDOWS, etc. Nor does J:\ via shortcut (Even though we have it on the desktop and we can access it. o_O)

By the way, here's a part of my problem, nice green underlined for "Best Quick" :p

mediapop19tv.jpg

Behold my computer's ad-ware capabilities when Mirar Toolbar is installed. :p (School Computer - WinXP)

What's even worse is when I actually open the quick links menu in IE6.

mediapop21xm.jpg

This sucks, and I can't do anything about it.

Installing Firefox, Netscape, Safari, or any other browser (even other versions of IE) is not allowed. Students can't install any programs anyway unless you can do it by Java/JavaScript like the Yahoo! / Google / Ask / MSN / Mirar Toolbar(s).

Back