• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Big Problems! (School Computers)

iyeru42 said:
Everyone, here is the image that I was going to show T.M. on how the server here blocks everything. (in this case, it was the error weighted phrase limit exceeded in the "p0rn allowed at school?!" thread.)
squidboxblockedit3sn.png

ROTFLMAO

'Show the denied reason'

WARNING: This will display a sample of the innappropiate laungauge...

hah, thats stupid :p

If you click it, it'll say the error that I said in bold, but as an alert message. Also, it'll show this same page even for banned extensions (And even say that it was inappropriate language. o_O)

Tree said:
Well, what's more important is the server domain version ;)

Yes, Version 0 in the URL isn't the correct version. When I get to it, I'll show you a page with the real version on it. :p

When you login, it should say something like "Welcome to the Windows **** Server Domain."

What are the ****'s?

If you kow the name of the server system then you should be able to go to

My Network Places > Search Active Directory > Put the name of the server in and it tells you what domain controller it is 2000 or 2003

His software most likely will not allow him to download Hijack This. If so, it will probably not allow HJT to access any parts of C:\ or the registry. At work, I have set it up so students may only access S:, a network drive on which they can store all their needed documents. Also they can access P:, another network drive on which is stored student work that only staff can write to.

I actually like how the boxes at my school are setup. Everything is locked down--no browsing of the C: drive and no saving or modifying of any files. If we want to save something it's either to a flash drive or floppy. A modified start-bar along with disabling right-click on the desktop and disabling the command prompt also go a long way.

This keeps the boxes clean and void of any malware since nothing can be installed.

Of course I always keep a copy of Portable Firefox and even a copy of Damn Small Linux on my flash drive for those certain occasions. ;)

Bruce said:
I actually like how the boxes at my school are setup. Everything is locked down--no browsing of the C: drive and no saving or modifying of any files. If we want to save something it's either to a flash drive or floppy. A modified start-bar along with disabling right-click on the desktop and disabling the command prompt also go a long way.

This keeps the boxes clean and void of any malware since nothing can be installed.

Of course I always keep a copy of Portable Firefox and even a copy of Damn Small Linux on my flash drive for those certain occasions. ;)

This is how we do it at school actually, all of the start menu is disabled (except the iPrint Client) AND right-click is disabled but not in web browsing. Also, we can save stuff to the C:\, but we can never open it up again if we do. Strange, yeah?

It it the same at our school. Modified Start menu, limited right-clicking, etc. Limited meaning you can r-click on the desktop and files. But not on files in the taskbar.

Start isn't completely disabled. But you cannot edit or delete any of the shortcuts in there, as a regular user cannot put them back. Settings and Run are not there either. However there is a hole that I had to fix not too long ago. It is possible to right-click on the desktop and create a shortcut. If you specify the shortcut's location as 'cmd', you can gain access to the command prompt.

This presented some problems, one guy sent a school-wide message using net send. Don't think he meant to, but still did. He wrote "i like ponies." He got paneled and is now in a secondary school ;)

If you don't mind getting expelled, you can do the following:
Boot into command prompt
Type format c:
Press y
Problem solved
:p

Back