• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beware of Thorny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thorny wasn't in any contract, he had committed to 6 months. I would like to give Thorny fair time in case he is legit, it doesn't seem so, but we'll see.

It is a tricky situation though, thorny would easily be able to grab his stuff too, and there's no real way to stop just that without tampering with data ergo, breaking the privacy policy.

Actually it's easier than you think, no one needs root access, and privacy policy doesn't come into it under the circumstances as it would be clients who own the data.

So Marks clear on it.

Actually it's easier than you think, no one needs root access, and privacy policy doesn't come into it under the circumstances as it would be clients who own the data.

So Marks clear on it.

If I understand that correctly, I own the data because I paid for that space. I don't know. I hate being dragged through this because there are points made on both sides. All I need is just to get my files and go. There isn't a whole lot and it would be quick.

Will, if he just brought the server up...what I was saying is that it would be quite easy for thorny to also log in and grab any data he had on the server, and there's no way to stop that...granted there shouldn't be data that thorny needs anyway, since if he was going to pull this ---- he probably already has backups.

But yea, you're right, other than that..I don't think there would be a problem.

EDIT: Mark could probably just bring it up with a deny on thorny's IP, or allow tony and deny everything else..or just bring up ftp..or something..

I think there's a way to do it..I'm not sure though..I'm not in the position so I'm not sure what his options are for that. Besides just bringing the server up completely for a couple of minutes.

If I understand that correctly, I own the data because I paid for that space. I don't know. I hate being dragged through this because there are points made on both sides. All I need is just to get my files and go. There isn't a whole lot and it would be quick.

Not quite, it is your data, if it can be proven, not just buying space.

Corazu, your way wide of the mark for doing his.

I still need to protect Thorny's files and they are in fact his even when you upload your content to his server. The server was running cPanel so in order to retain a backup, that would need to be put back on. The fee I told you for retrieving the files (cPanel + our time to create/upload/retrieve the backup) still stands. Kind of protects everyone seeing as it shows some commitment on your side as not being Thorny. I will have to KVM in, change root password, etc. so it's not something I'm going to do out of the goodness of my heart considering I lost a substantial sum on Thorny.

I have the passwords still and everything. I can barely afford $80, if I did, it would take me some time,and you are punishing me for his misdoings. I am sorry, but this is very unprofessional.

I have the passwords still and everything. I can barely afford $80, if I did, it would take me some time,and you are punishing me for his misdoings. I am sorry, but this is very unprofessional.

It's just the costs associated with getting the files, there is really nothing I can do about them. I didn't have anything to do with Thorny's doings aside from being his server provider. As a side note, I am discussing this case with my collection lawyers tomorrow.

UT, I need to call bull----.
It would take less than 4 minuets to edit grub to boot without the root password or change the password using passwd. Maybe 15 minuets if you had some odd or complex authentication for the KVM. If you power up the server ftpd should be auto-started along with httpd. Perhaps you could rent the cost of powering the server up to fat tony. If you were ultra-nice, you would rent it to him at an hourly rate... Or even a daily rate.
When you bring a cPanel server up without a license, you have 30 days to get a license before cpanel is disabled. Perhaps you could do it as a favor should fat tony decide to purchase a shared hosting account from you.
Chris L.
PS: Here is how to login as root without a password: http://linuxgazette.net/107/tomar.html

Last edited:
UT, I need to call bull----.
It would take less than 4 minuets to edit grub to boot without the root password or change the password using passwd. Maybe 15 minuets if you had some odd or complex authentication for the KVM. If you power up the server ftpd should be auto-started along with httpd. Perhaps you could rent the cost of powering the server up to fat tony. If you were ultra-nice, you would rent it to him at an hourly rate... Or even a daily rate.
When you bring a cPanel server up without a license, you have 30 days to get a license before cpanel is disabled. Perhaps you could do it as a favor should fat tony decide to purchase a shared hosting account from you.
Chris L.
PS: Here is how to login as root without a password: http://linuxgazette.net/107/tomar.html

Word. I totally agree.

Would have to agree James... these people complaining over files your not his client, he does not have to assist you if he does hes doing things hes not required to so dont complain to him complain to your host :).

Anyways, Mark, I had my friend email you so you should have gotten it.

Thorny has been untraceable. So instead, I thought it would be smarter to skip the middle man and go to the source. Same like any other problem one might face in life.

fat tony:
Go to http://www.whois.sc/thorny'sdomainname.com
obviously replace the domain name. You may be able to get a phone number to call that guy.

fat tony:
Go to http://www.whois.sc/thorny'sdomainname.com
obviously replace the domain name. You may be able to get a phone number to call that guy.

Thanks a lot, I never thought of doing such.

Edit:
I got the number, though it doesn't lead to the country he put where he lives.

Last edited:
Looks like our friend Thorny is gone, I suggest maybe a ban on his IP so he doesn't reappear as another scammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back