• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beware of Thorny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid thorny for services of reseller hosting. He was great. He always answered my questions and I had no problems until this occurred. I am a currently in school which makes it hard for me to make payments and Thorny was easy on me for having late charges. Lately, I can't download my backups being at school and so when this happened, I haven't had at all very updated backups since I am always at school. I would personally pay it because I want my backups so I can move on and go, but I have very low on finances and as of now, my only some what form of income was my sites. This hits me hard. It seems like he was a great guy and perhaps he is going through a hard time. Sometimes, you can't jump to conclusions, but all I want is recent backups please.

We'll see if Thorny comes back to pay his debt, mods please confirm that Tony's IP is not the same as Thorny's.

You won't... Seriously, forget about it and move on. It's the best thing to do. I bet it has given you enough anger and stress already...

We'll see if Thorny comes back to pay his debt, mods please confirm that Tony's IP is not the same as Thorny's.

Once you find that both our ips are totally different and IF he doesn't, I get screwed? There is something wrong about screwing only a student who has just been getting by.

The only thing I want is my backups to personal sites I run and a forum. That is it, which is on the server. I just want to get them and be done with this whole ordeal and get on my way.

Then contact Thorny and ask him for the backups. Nothing anyone else can do. Thorny did not pay, the host had to shut it down. Do you think hosting companies keep the data for people who don't pay hoping the person will come back 2 years later and pay?

Thorny is the only one that can get your backups for you. Even if you saved up more than enough to pay off his debt, UT couldn't give you the backups for privacy reasons.

I've been following this thread for a while and thought Thorny might have genuinely had a problem with his credit/debit cards, but now I'm starting to believe it was a complete lie. Hopefully he will come back and pay his debts but he's getting himself a bad name unless he comes back soon and sorts all this out.

Well the longer you wait the longer you quicker those files will be deleted. UT doesnt need to have a server dormate so if your really wanting your files, get the money asap or start over.

Hate to be blunt but it looks like you were screwed in all this as well.

If the server was managed then it would be okay to approach the server supplier, and that the supplier charge a fee for recovery and delivery.

Correct, there would be no way of telling who owns the accounts, so I don't think I can give you the backups in any way tony. If you took over Thorny's contract, with his permission, then I would be able to give you access then.

I don't think I would suggest taking 'that' contract on. Although is there a way that the correct person with login details to access the data can?

It would mean the box would still have to be accessible.

I don't think I would suggest taking 'that' contract on. Although is there a way that the correct person with login details to access the data can?

It would mean the box would still have to be accessible.

It's a tricky situation, the boxes data is still in tact for the time being.

Is a difficult one Mark, one keeping it as it is when it's not paying for itself. Sometimes providers can override rules to ensure client data security (and customer satisfaction).

It takes time and effort and a charge is not uncalled for, maybe if the client could provide to you sufficient details of ownership of the data then a deal could be worked out?

Your both being held to ransom by the same person, alledgedly (term included for usual reasons), which is unfair to both parties. Your more understanding than that.

I don't think the contract thing is a good idea.

On that note, I understand your position Mark, but you could bring up the server briefly to allow tony to log in and retrieve his data. There's probably a way you could put a block on all the other accounts as well while bringing it up just for him - though not sure of the technicality with the policy for that.

I don't think bringing the server up briefly to let him get his stuff would hurt, or be against any policy really. If you found other customers who needed the stuff too, then it would be something nice to do.

It is a tricky situation though, thorny would easily be able to grab his stuff too, and there's no real way to stop just that without tampering with data ergo, breaking the privacy policy.

I really don't envy your position at all. Good luck, here's to hoping Thorny comes through.

Not even remotely close.

Thank you for proving that.

I can tell you all the details about every sing site and all you would want to know. I just want files back. I have him on msn and he hasn't been on since before this incident occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back