• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Another Day

Dan

Bullah
NLC
So yeah. Let's start with issue Numero Uno:

1. Upgrading MyBB to 1.4 gives me errors. The Upgrade wiki tells you to skip section 2 and 3, so section 4 tells you to upload and overwrite all files and then run upgrade.php
Now they say "You got the errors because you overwrote config.php" I'm like, "then why does your wiki tell me to do that?" Let's be honest now like.

2. Yesterday a new customer signed up for a Reseller and domain. All went well. Shortly after, they ordered and paid for a dedicated server and domain. Now, although I felt funny about it, I thought "Well, maybe they needed the reseller to host their main site and support desk etc..." so thought nothing of it, until I woke today to find 2 emails from PayPal with a claim and telling me to login to my account to view the cases. I login, go to Resolution Centre and to my surprise "No Open Cases" and my PayPal Balance down by over 80 bucks.

I will post the details of the transaction later as soon as I hear from PayPal.

Chow. :D

Thats always fun. But, think nothing of it. You don't even have to put forth effort to prove your side of the case. :) Online transactions for hosting aren't supported much by Paypal.

Yeah that's true.
Well, I will fight this to the core. They are NOT getting their money back. End of story so they may as well use the server etc for the month at least. :D

PayPal closed the case before I had a chance to respond to it, despite them giving me 7 days. They refunded the ----head who paid for the server etc.
I have my hunches obviously that this was the result of recent issues with certain other ----heads who are members here. Well, you got what you wanted. Now ---- off!

Damn, don't ya hate that!

@ 5MinuteVPS, we get our account limited every month, and it's come to the time, even with fraud protection, that PayPal is just reversing payments whenever a dispute is opened!

If payment is reversed. There is nothing you can do :(

Yeah unfortunately there's nothing I can do only close CVPS.
Now, they got what they wanted. But I will be back!

I dont see how paypal can issue these refunds without hearing your side of the story.

It means i can order anything online, pay for it and have them ship it.

As soon as i get the "you order is shipped" email, i can ask paypal for a refund and they do it, no questions asked???

Sounds like a load of Bull to me!

Sorry, but if people would stop allowing paypal instead of just getting pissed off with them and using them anyway we wouldnt have a problem.
Many people are moving away from paypal payments and IMHO if you cant get off your --- and get a visa debt card or have access to a visa debit card in the year 2008 your not worth having as a client.
You could use paypal for smaller payments <50$ and anything >50$ should go through another payment processor with higher protection or visa cards throughly fraud checked.
There is no way on earth I would trust a broken company like paypal to manage my orders of 50+$
I dont trust my money with idiots.
It is just like my paypal account I have had since 2006, I never fully verified it since it ment giving them access to my bank account, and in result giving them control.
I proved where I lived but it wasnt enough for them to class my account as "safe" since they wanted to have control over me. ATM they have no control over me. :p

Eh, I hate paypal, Only have a account with them for backup/being lazy and not wanting to submit my visa card details all the time lol.

Last edited:
@ fnixws: Apparently so, yes.
@ hamster: I am waiting on a reply to an email from PayPal and have also submitted a complaint against PayPal for closing the case without allowing me to submit the information I have or at least responding to the claim.

@ CnR: you are spot on man. I think I will stop using it myself from now on and just use it for small amounts like you said. Verifying your PayPal account is utterly pointless as it makes no difference at all whatsoever.
I do have a Visa card and will be looking at other possibilities for payment processing from here on.

The guys involved in this, you know who you are, you won't have one single hour's luck from this moment on.

Why don't you use an anti-fraud service or do phone verification before you activate orders? Just a simple call to verify their order will filter most of the fraud as all fraudulent orders have fake phone numbers.

Why don't you use an anti-fraud service or do phone verification before you activate orders? Just a simple call to verify their order will filter most of the fraud as all fraudulent orders have fake phone numbers.

Yeah I usually would and should have. So partly my own fault.
But, it's ok. I will use the dedicated I got for them and start afresh. :)

See a few monthsback I had the same issue.

Client paid $600 for 6 months on a dedicated.

Made it 3 months, the rest of it was spent on the notion that I could spend it now, and my other paying clients would give me enough income to cover his/her server as well...... Well 3 months into that; Paypal dispute -- case was instantly closed, as it was filed with the Credit Card company.

Paypal doesn't care about the seller if a Credit Card company is involved; end of story.

Yep. I hate that. If it's a hacked account or if it's a Credit Card chargeback, PayPal will just give them the money straight out, they don't even give you a chance.

Also, if it is a chargeback, they charge you a fee of $20-40 for it... It really is appalling.

From PayPal:
Dear Daniel O'Riordan,

Thank you for contacting PayPal in relation to the payments placed on
temporary hold.

After reviewing your account Mr. O'Riordan I can see that both
transactions: 1P08250316194023Y and 4AC54585S7347022R were being
investigated as they were potentially fraudulent and PayPal was unsure of
the legitimacy of these funds.

I can however that the investigation has been already completed and it was
determined that the most appropriate action was to return the funds to
their original source. We appreciate that in doing so you have lost the
funds however in these instances it is likely that PayPal had a legal
obligation to do so. We are unable to provide you with the specific
information surrounding these funds as to do so would be a serious breach
of the Data Protection Act and PayPal would be liable for prosecution.

Regrettably, PayPal was unable to allow the transaction to continue and are
limited by law on any further action. We regret the circumstances
surrounding this transaction and feel the best recourse for you now would
be to contact the account holder of the initial transaction. If you receive
no co-operative response from that individual or the owner of the PayPal
account is unaware of why the transaction was initiated then you are
entitled to contact the police in order to initiate civil action.

I do sincerely apologise for any frustration caused. Please let me know if
you
need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Aneta
Resolution Services Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

My response:
Hello,

Although I do respect PayPal's legal position in this matter, there is still the matter of PayPal closing the case before giving me time to act on it or respond to it, as PayPal had stated in the email I received that I had 7 days to respond. In this case, I do feel that PayPal has completely deprived me of my legal rights to answer a claim that has been made against me and my services.
There is also the fact that I am faced with a debt of almost $200 because of PayPal's failures to provide secure and proper protection for sellers of virtual goods, such as website hosting. I am sure PayPal would agree that over 50% of its customers are, indeed, hosting providers.

I honestly feel that PayPal has completely and utterly ignored my rights in this matter and I will be finding it very difficult to trust PayPal in the future.

Have a good day.
Dan O'Riordan

Its likely it was bought using a stolen card so the money isnt yours or paypals to keep.

Some ways of trying to avoid fraud is for any big orders on paypal you should telephone to confirm the order. Also you can insist on a written contract being signed and sent back. That gives you a legal basis to pursue the debt if there payment turns out to be bad. You can also check the ip address of the order and the location of the order address.

Also do not offer instant setup, a delay in time from order to setup can often catch a number of fraud orders.

Ironically i tend to get more fraud orders from "verified" paypal accounts than unverified. So only accepting "verified" doesn't really work.

Its likely it was bought using a stolen card so the money isnt yours or paypals to keep.

Some ways of trying to avoid fraud is for any big orders on paypal you should telephone to confirm the order. Also you can insist on a written contract being signed and sent back. That gives you a legal basis to pursue the debt if there payment turns out to be bad. You can also check the ip address of the order and the location of the order address.

Also do not offer instant setup, a delay in time from order to setup can often catch a number of fraud orders.

Ironically i tend to get more fraud orders from "verified" paypal accounts than unverified. So only accepting "verified" doesn't really work.

Some good points there mate and I will definitely take it on board. Cheers. :)

Phone verification means nothing; not with Skype. They could easily get a phone-number in the location that their card states; and go from there.

Back