• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

androidvps

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so, why do you need one from Deeplist in the first place?

Because he's thrash-learning stuff hands on, which is a messy-looking style of learning, with stuff in big figurative heaps on the floor. It's independent-study, and of computers, not spelling. Once we get that context in view, all the nastiness should drop away. By now we know who he is, so any testers he gets probably know that their data is practice material. There isn't such a thing as a "fool" in educational settings (ones without danger, he's not going to burn a hand.)

As I recall wswd, you had to buy out a failed free host and Logan, you weren't sure you could make it through the 7 month point either. So everyone quit pressuring this poor kid to produce miracles while getting yelled at. He's not a business provider. He's our resident troubled student.

As I recall wswd, you had to buy out a failed free host and Logan, you weren't sure you could make it through the 7 month point either. So everyone quit pressuring this poor kid to produce miracles while getting yelled at. He's not a business provider. He's our resident troubled student.

And herein lies the overall problem. He is a troubled kid trying to run a business. I'm sorry you don't see the problem with that. That's what is wrong with the hosting industry today. It's one thing to f*** around on computers and learn how to do stuff. It's another to SELL SERVICES FOR MONEY to unsuspecting people who just don't know any better. I'm sure you would be quite irritated if you took up hosting with this guy and got screwed. Isn't that the whole point behind your project...more or less informing the public about problem hosts so they don't get screwed?

Throughout the course of this kid's membership here, he's been boasting about several projects that are under development but has several excuses about why they never transpired, money being the main one. He's asked for sponsorship in about half a dozen threads which all have ultimately been shot down, closed and/or deleted. I've also flamed him hard core and still he refuses to leave. Everybody keeps telling me, "Oh, he's just a kid. Give him a chance. He's new. Blah blah blah." Well, here's his chance. A mid-line VPS unit with his choice of OS to turn into something great. He'll either succeed, or he'll crash and burn. Either way, we'll find out. At this point, he has no excuses. Money is not a factor right now. He's already messed up a Linux based VPS with me and has requested a windows VPS instead, which I have allowed. He'll make his own destiny here. Should his "project" fail, then we can all rest assured that he failed under his own demise and not just because nobody was willing to "spunser" him or give him a small jump start. He's failed at linux, so now we'll see how he does with Windows.

Tao, allow me to answer a little more thoroughly now that I'm actually awake.

It's great that he is finally "learning" though he claims he is already an expert at hosting on the Windows OS. He already failed at LINUX. Great to see he's a project of yours and could possibly garner a few months sponsorship from you as well.

In any event, I'm not going to delay my point any further. You crucify hosts for not being able to handle 32GB WikiPedia mirrors, having 5 or 10 minutes worth of downtime without advanced notice, etc., But you're perfectly fine with this kid running a hosting "business". That's what has me absolutely perplexed.

He is going to (at some point) be offering free VPSs on his school network, not in any datacenter, with the security and redundancy that goes with it. I'm sure he won't tell potential clients that. He is going to be "providing support", which I'm sure is going to be great for clients. We're talking about real clients here with a reasonable expectation that their website isn't going to be hosted in some kid's living quarters at a school somewhere.

That's all.

It's great that he is finally "learning" though he claims he is already an expert at hosting on the Windows OS. He already failed at LINUX. Great to see he's a project of yours and could possibly garner a few months sponsorship from you as well.

In any event, I'm not going to delay my point any further. You crucify hosts for not being able to handle 32GB WikiPedia mirrors, having 5 or 10 minutes worth of downtime without advanced notice, etc., But you're perfectly fine with this kid running a hosting "business". That's what has me absolutely perplexed.

He is going to (at some point) be offering free VPSs on his school network, not in any datacenter, with the security and redundancy that goes with it. I'm sure he won't tell potential clients that. He is going to be "providing support", which I'm sure is going to be great for clients. We're talking about real clients here with a reasonable expectation that their website isn't going to be hosted in some kid's living quarters at a school somewhere.

That's all.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wswd again.

And herein lies the overall problem. He is a troubled kid trying to run a business. I'm sorry you don't see the problem with that. That's what is wrong with the hosting industry today. It's one thing to f*** around on computers and learn how to do stuff. It's another to SELL SERVICES FOR MONEY to unsuspecting people who just don't know any better. I'm sure you would be quite irritated if you took up hosting with this guy and got screwed. Isn't that the whole point behind your project...more or less informing the public about problem hosts so they don't get screwed?

Sure. So now that we do know who he is and his uneven style, I'm trying to get him to shift gears a little, with the help of the gang here. If he does get it all up and going, I'll be encouraging him to inform "testers" that their web space is primarily for his learning and to expect severe bumps. We can watch to make sure that whatever he posts is in the Free section, not paid. I'm hoping that by now all of FWS knows of him, and with luck at least half see what I hope to do with this situation.

Let's face it, we all know in our heart of hearts that this isn't going anywhere. He'll ultimately fail, and miserably. At that time we can all say, "I told you so" and move on because there will be no more available excuses for his lack of progress. Then MAYBE the staff here will realize that our initial flaming of him wasn't so unjustified after all.

Let's face it, we all know in our heart of hearts that this isn't going anywhere. He'll ultimately fail, and miserably. At that time we can all say, "I told you so" and move on because there will be no more available excuses for his lack of progress. Then MAYBE the staff here will realize that our initial flaming of him wasn't so unjustified after all.
Doubt it

Or maybe he will prove us all wrong. Maybe he is the next idea maker without money and just needed that hand. Maybe he will make you rich deeplist!

I'll give him one thing though, he's persistent. At the end of the day, after you remove all of the reasons why he can't get anything off the ground, what's left? That's what we're about to find out. He can't run Linux? Okay fine, try Windows instead. That's just one more item removed from his drop bucket of lame excuses that are slowing being nulled.

That's all.

That's what I'm angling to change - all our previous themes have been about treating him like a veteran owner. Yes, this is a new direction - I am angling to put big "Caution - Student Host" rails all around him. That's the key difference between my project and mtw - all my prior applicants start talking a big game - with great spelling! - and then ... what happens, happens.

If my Ugly Duckling theory is at least half right, after he shakes himself down he might come up with something. He's just smart enough to get into trouble, yet not talented enough to dig back out of it. His claims appear to me at least half true, half a recovery attempt from the flame wars.

So I am trying to put him in a nice pasture with no nasty poisonous plants with the minimum sensible resources, then just watch and see.

I'll give him one thing though, he's persistent.

Bingo. That's what I'm banking on. In case it isn't yet clear enough, all potential "tester-clients" are warned that here be bumpy times. I'll think about whatever he chooses to offer local schoolmates etc later.

His excuses aren't quite lame - that's also what I am counting on - we set the "timer" too sharp. I *expect* a minimum of seven false starts, all at once, out of nerves. Then he might slow down enough to make something click.

Not that i believe this project will go anywhere. But i can see the idea of androidvps being used to host super minivps that can support basically a small linux webserver with a interface just used for and android phone for different types of apps that don't need a big server. Things like phone based versions of websites things of that nature.

Or maybe he will prove us all wrong. Maybe he is the next idea maker without money and just needed that hand.

He won't make anyone rich. But I am guessing there is a tiny wee bit more than meets the eye here, and he might come up with a nifty little "how 'bout that!" moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back