• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A lot of free hosts going down?

The uptime of free hosts is not guaranteed by the money you pay when using the paid ones. I believe there is less reason in getting free hosts even when you wanna save than getting a paid one. Moreover they often make some unawaited steps, like sending invoices to your paypal for the services claimes as a free ones.

That is not a surprise... the sooner the better... they lure people in and cause headache afterwards... though if you're cheap enough to go with a free hosting company, you do accept the risk in advance...

Actually free hosts are only suitable, as for my viewpoint, for personal sites or education when there is no need to make money or do serious business. No surprise they have no responsibility before the clients.

That is not a surprise... the sooner the better... they lure people in and cause headache afterwards... though if you're cheap enough to go with a free hosting company, you do accept the risk in advance...

Not everyone has the cash to toss for a personal website.

Regardless, take a look at which hosts are the ones that go under. I am sure these ones are the ones that offer "unlimited" or extraordinarily high transfer/space allocations, but do not have restrictions in terms of file size/type/etc. So while for the few first days when 100s of people sign up they think they are going to be the top dog....until they receive an invoice from their reseller for all the overselling they did. Either that or the reseller host simply shuts down the site.

Now look at the ones that have been around for years. They have similar plans and knowledgeable staff. They arent some 12 yr old in his bedroom trying to make a buck through inexperience (just a metaphor).

As I have said several times before, do your homework when choosing a host. If you are not willing to do so , then it is your fault for the bouncing from host to host and should not complain when one takes the similar path of many.

that happens when they dont know what they want,when they dont succed.when they dont make money thats the mostly reasons/

Yet before being involved into the hosting industry, I was not sure if free hosts are worth of being used for anything serious, now they all are associated with something unstable...

Yet before being involved into the hosting industry, I was not sure if free hosts are worth of being used for anything serious, now they all are associated with something unstable...

Only because of the sheer volume of mismanaged free hosts. It is completely possible to run a stable free web host, but it has to be done with great care in order to avoid creating a money pit with no hope of redemption.

Ideally though, a host should offer both free and paid plans. The paid plans provide financial stability that the free plans can't, however sites with certain traffic ratios will actually produce more money in ad revenue out of a given plan size as a free plan than they would as a paid plan. It all depends on your client base, and it is best for a free host to only offer conservative free plans to prevent abuse by clients that consume tons of bandwidth for very little traffic- which will not yield a profit at all.

It all depends on a few factors, one being the operating system that the server is using, I have found from experience that Linux is far more reliable as a server operating system. The other factor is the reliability of your upstream internet provider as this usually determines how reliable your uptime is (in combination with the reliability of your own system, of course)

one being the operating system that the server is using

I don't agree with that. Yeah. back in the day, using windows boxes as web servers were a bad idea because Windows made piece of ---- servers. That's really turned around here in recent years and I feel that has nothing to do with uptime anymore.

The other factor is the reliability of your upstream internet provider as this usually determines how reliable your uptime is (in combination with the reliability of your own system, of course)

I'll give you that one, and this is part of the reason why I advocate people using QUALITY providers such as SoftLayer instead of these cheap bargin companies. They lie about their providers, redundancy, etc. One fiber line goes down and their whole datacenter is offline for hours.

Back